heartworm prevention

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: heartworm prevention

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:14 pm

frontline wrote:
cheetome wrote:Thanks for the replies. Those of you that use the paste have you had any problems? It doesn't seem like the measurments would be as accurate? Also do you give a dose of safegaurd once a year to get the worms ivomec doesn't?
When using paste the dose isn't accurate, it could be way off but probably safe. If the paste isn't homogeneous you risk not giving enough but more likely the dose will be many times more than what's needed. You're on your own using these products since the manufacturer won't stand behind them when using them with dogs.
The paste has to be homogenous by law. Thats like saying chocolate isn't homogenous.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:51 am

over years i found out one thing.i always go below what is rec. for my dogs.
like flea/tick,i put it on every 40 days not 31 days.
same with interceptor worm pill, every 45 days not 31.

just way i do it .

rinker

Post by rinker » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:56 am

I have used the paste monthly for 25 years on a wide variety of dogs with no problems. The paste was originally recommended by my vet.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:34 pm

JIM K wrote:over years i found out one thing.i always go below what is rec. for my dogs.

just way i do it .
:roll: :roll:

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:50 pm

JIM K wrote:over years i found out one thing.i always go below what is rec. for my dogs.

just way i do it .
This is one of the things we always warn people about. When you use less than recommended some of the bugs you are trying to get rid of live and reproduce. They are the hardy ones that take a full dose to kill. If you use less and they live and reproduce it will only be a short time till you have a strain that you can't kill with that chemical. Using less than needed has serious consequences as well as using a lot more with most drugs.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Fester

Post by Fester » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:12 pm

Kill the worms and keep them away from your dogs!
Fester

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:15 pm

I take a feces sample to the vet once a year for 3 dogs . Worms have never been seen.. ( The cat had worms when i got her.) I'm confused when I read how often others proactively treat their dogs for worms.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

digger

Post by digger » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:33 am

ezzy, Would you please give details on use of Ivermectin for pigeons. How you dilute the 1% solution and how you administer it for internal and external benefits?

ezzy333 wrote:
frontline wrote:
cheetome wrote:Thanks for the replies. Those of you that use the paste have you had any problems? It doesn't seem like the measurments would be as accurate? Also do you give a dose of safegaurd once a year to get the worms ivomec doesn't?
When using paste the dose isn't accurate, it could be way off but probably safe. If the paste isn't homogeneous you risk not giving enough but more likely the dose will be many times more than what's needed. You're on your own using these products since the manufacturer won't stand behind them when using them with dogs.
They will not stand behind them because they have not been approved for dogs.The reason is not that they don't work but rather the cost of getting the approval is so great it isn't practical for a minor speice by the time you do all of the research and testing required.

Regrdless of that, it is an extremely safe drug that performs many functions and has been used for several years now because it works. There is no reason for anyone to be afraid to use it since it has such a large leeway in dosage while not causing any serious side effects..

For those of you that also keep pigeons, it is very effective on internal waorming and also in killing external bugs. Just another way to use up that bottle of 1% solution before it outdates.

And by the way, the paste is required to be homogeneous just like the feed you feed or the spray you use or any other material being sold that is labeled for partial use.

Ezzy

Xhipi1

Post by Xhipi1 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:32 pm

ok so im new to the dog game. let me know if i got all the info right so basically the paste is bought already in a syringe and each month you give the dog 1 click of the syringe? when can i start the dog hes a pup right now, hes 7 wks old. also just to clarify this is the paste everyones talking about right?
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... atid=16124

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:11 pm

Xhipi1 wrote:ok so im new to the dog game. let me know if i got all the info right so basically the paste is bought already in a syringe and each month you give the dog 1 click of the syringe? when can i start the dog hes a pup right now, hes 7 wks old. also just to clarify this is the paste everyones talking about right?
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... atid=16124
Use the type of paste that has the syringe metered for 50lbs of horse weight. That is the "click" you have read about. In some brands the "click" is for 250lbs of horse weight.

Durvet Apple is very easy to find, that is a good one but I wouldn't use the paste until the pup is closer to adult weight. The liquid is much easier to dose for a puppy.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:00 pm

It only costs about $4 a month to give the pup Iverhart Plus til it is 25#. Should be started now if you live in a mosquito area. A lot easier than messing with such a small amount. A ten pound puppy would get .1cc of ivermec. CJ

Xhipi1

Post by Xhipi1 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:29 am

thank you guys.

Kiki

Post by Kiki » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:55 am

Lots of great information in this thread. Do those that home medicate using the 1.87% Ivermec also use this as flea and tick control? I've read some articles on line that suggest that this can be an effective treatment.