Parvo

Sierra Wirehair

Parvo

Post by Sierra Wirehair » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:28 pm

Out neew GWP pup got parvo. He is vaccinated and up to date. The ER vet is talking 3 grand? Any thoughts?

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: Parvo

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:04 pm

First of all, sorry you are going through this. Huge unexpexted vet bills are a blow. If your pup had not received a shot after the age of 16 weeks, then incomplete immunity may be an issue. The AVMA has information on their website about protocols.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:12 pm

My first thought is treatment is not optional. Survival odds go down very fast! My second is when I saw vaccinated puppies still aquire parvo it was less severe and puppies recovered more quickly so 3 grand is sort of bracing you for long term support care but you probably wont need that. I'd guess 1200 is more accurate. And 3rd if the vet did uou vaccs report it to them and the vacc company. Sometimes the company will cover expenses but PARVO test must be positive. ALSO a few years ago UTK vet school was doing a study on vaccine failure for PARVO and if it is still ongoing you may want to send them the info for future vaccine production.
lastly.... so so sorry! Parvo is horrible and no puppy deserves that. Hang in there.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:43 am

Sierra Wirehair wrote:Out neew GWP pup got parvo. He is vaccinated and up to date. The ER vet is talking 3 grand? Any thoughts?
bring him to me, i can treat it for about $350. course the trip might cost you more. ;) hope you get a quick recovery. the vaccinated ones usually respond very quickly.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:56 am

$350 wouldn't cover sticking an IV in a dog at a 24/7 emergency clinic. When I took my dog in for snakebite, we topped a grand in fifteen minutes.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:35 am

Cajun Casey wrote:$350 wouldn't cover sticking an IV in a dog at a 24/7 emergency clinic. When I took my dog in for snakebite, we topped a grand in fifteen minutes.
you paid too much. :wink: BUT, if the dog recovered, then Im sure it was worth it.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:08 am

dog dr wrote:
Cajun Casey wrote:$350 wouldn't cover sticking an IV in a dog at a 24/7 emergency clinic. When I took my dog in for snakebite, we topped a grand in fifteen minutes.
you paid too much. :wink: BUT, if the dog recovered, then Im sure it was worth it.
At ten o'clock at night and needing antivenom, you don't get to price shop. The dog had sat for eight hours with three to four hot bites to the face, which was swollen to the size of a football, and had blood in his urine. He had come in immediately after being bitten and gotten in his crate before I went to work and I never saw the bites until I got home. He took three vials of antivenom, more than one platelet transfusion, and a pharmacopia of other drugs. His lowest RBC was 19, 72 hours after invenomation. I was lucky to get a vet that knew blood because one of the others wanted to go the steroid route later in the treatment and we decided to forego that and let him detox.

Sierra Wirehair

Post by Sierra Wirehair » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:04 pm

Max is home today with my wife. He started to eat small pieces of chicken today. $3500 vet bills. He is 3 mo old, has had his second round of shots three weeks before he got sick. I have contacted the vaccine co and the vet is going to support me by asking the vaccine co to reimburse. I don't know if they will but they were very nice on the phone. It's interesting that a night in the ER vet can be $700 and $130 at the regular vet. I asked the ER vet why and he said they work after hours and weekends. I'm glad police and fire don't have the same philosophy. Yikes.
Max is on the mend it appears.

Parvo test was a strong positive so it wasn't vaccine related. What is the uou test?

Mic

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:24 pm

I'm glad your pup is recovering. FWIW, I have had personal experience with several clients using cooked barley cereal with parvo recovery dogs.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:48 pm

Try having a dog impale herself and need a lung removed ON CHRISTMAS DAY. $6K or pull the plug.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:25 am

My vet is about the same as dog dr.....even when I had a couple pups also vaccinated while on the road the 2 pups were about 800 dollars at my friends vet and as stated since they were vaccinated they came around quickly only requiring a few days of IV fluids and stomach meds

Good Luck
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

chevyman82181

Post by chevyman82181 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:02 pm

I'm sure I will hear a lot of crap for this. Bleach works not a gallon or anything. A few drops per dropper of water. We lost a little puppy. It had parvo apparently never was vaccinated. 900 dollars later and died Christmas morning. My two daughters where devastated. Our six month old got it. It died three days later. Only cost 1500 dollars for that one. They was both chihuahuas. Well we cleaned everything with bleach. I told wife I wanted a hunting dog. I put deposit on a gsp. I come home from work two weeks later. She has another chihuahua. Well it got parvo after a month. I did a lot of research. I found coon dog guys don't vaccinate their dogs. They give them bleach. Well we gave him like four drops of bleach. It was per two teaspoons of water. He was still acting sick. The wife started to give him. A liquid nutrient stuff we got from petco. He didn't seem better. She took him to vet couldn't find anything but low blood count. He told us he had parvo but was getting better. I still believe it was the bleach. They add it to our drinking water.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:45 am

chevyman82181 wrote:I'm sure I will hear a lot of crap for this. Bleach works not a gallon or anything. A few drops per dropper of water. We lost a little puppy. It had parvo apparently never was vaccinated. 900 dollars later and died Christmas morning. My two daughters where devastated. Our six month old got it. It died three days later. Only cost 1500 dollars for that one. They was both chihuahuas. Well we cleaned everything with bleach. I told wife I wanted a hunting dog. I put deposit on a gsp. I come home from work two weeks later. She has another chihuahua. Well it got parvo after a month. I did a lot of research. I found coon dog guys don't vaccinate their dogs. They give them bleach. Well we gave him like four drops of bleach. It was per two teaspoons of water. He was still acting sick. The wife started to give him. A liquid nutrient stuff we got from petco. He didn't seem better. She took him to vet couldn't find anything but low blood count. He told us he had parvo but was getting better. I still believe it was the bleach. They add it to our drinking water.

not sure where to start on this one, but i can promise you the bleach did absolutely nothing to help your dog recover from parvo.

RyanGSP

Post by RyanGSP » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:26 pm

I have heard parvo can linger in your house and yard for up o a year. Ivew read bleach can be used to kill it when in your house and lawn but it will stain everything and kill all your grass.

I have also heard it can be spread airborne as well?

There was a bad outbreak here last year, parents had a pup that died, it seems to be common in the backyard breeders that are just having puppies to have puppies and the ones breeding those yuppy mix dogs with the fancy names.

Needless to say I dont take my dogs in to pet stores when I buy food anymore, public parks, or off-leash parks any longer.