K9 Advantix ll Side Effects

cptn

K9 Advantix ll Side Effects

Post by cptn » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:08 pm

Today, I applied K 9 Advantix Il 21-55 to my approximately 30 pound Brittany. He had already been on K 9 Advantix since he was 8 weeks with the smaller weight range as recommended by his breeder. This morning is the first time I have used the larger weight range, and I immediately applied it when I bought it this morning. I then realized that I had only purchased this item because it was name brand, and I didn't do my homework like I should have. So after I applied it, I quickly got online and researched and found horrible side effects. It works great with no problems for some dogs, but others had unfortunate neurological damage and some eventually died because of the toxic levels of the chemical that kills ticks in Advantix. Even though he had used the product before, I have never high tailed it that fast to the closest store to buy Dawn dish detergent to scrub my dog. Since I scrubbed him within 2 hours of application, I think I am in the clear just in case he would have an adverse reaction. However, many people in the reviews of that product are saying that 21 pounds to 55 pounds is a large range, and because of this, you should only apply half of the packet if your dog is towards the lower end of the weight range. Even if it isn't on the package to do so. Has anyone had any problems with this medication, and what do you use? Even though my dog will definitely be okay, I am still kicking myself for not doing my proper research. I hate putting chemicals on my dog. Scrubbed my dog with Dawn, but it doesn't say on the package that it is waterproof. Am I still in the clear?
---
July Rousse - "Roussey"
Alex - "Grem-grem"

cptn

Re: K9 Advantix ll Side Effects

Post by cptn » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:10 pm

Sorry, it IS waterproof.
---
July Rousse - "Roussey"
Alex - "Grem-grem"

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:17 pm

Why don't you get on Bayer's site or call them instead of going from a bunch of internet DIY comments? If your dog didn't react previously, why would you expect him to now? You have to use the entire dose to be effective, not reduce it proportionally to weight percentage.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:18 pm

I've used it for 20 years. Nevr had a problem. You can get it all off by using Dawn before it soaks into the skin. $$$$$down the drain. It is waterproof but NOT soap proof.

You can always find pros and cons for any product on the net . You probably googled up a "pesticides are bad!" site.
Application amount is geared to the dogs 'weight but it is not so exact as to cause panic.YOur vet has given you the correct amount for your dog. Just follow the plan.
I use " Tropiclean" for washing the dogs after a bout in the marsh. It does not remove any Advantage.

Relax..........................:)

http://www.bayeranimal.com.au/default.a ... &ItemId=15
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:27 pm

honey ... you are gonna fret either you or that pretty brit pup to death....

cptn

Post by cptn » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:41 pm

I know. Everyone says that me. Just trying to protect him, and he's my first dog is truly only mine. So, this is all new. Sorry about my paranoia. And I did actually contact my friend that works at Bayer, and she says that Bayer is just like any other corporate giant with that insensitive mentality. Prone to denial. Not answers.
---
July Rousse - "Roussey"
Alex - "Grem-grem"

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:43 pm

...he is in good hands

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:12 am

have used advantix for years with no problems.vet rec it .

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:01 am

Everything kills or hurts 4 dogs but works for 27, sadly thats just the way it is. As other people have stated I have used Advantix2 for awhile and never had an issue. Personally if you worry too much about the side effects then you will probably never find something you will be able to put on your dog for flee / tick control.

Corry

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:39 am

i switched to PET -ARMOUR from wal-mart. 25 dollars for 4 bottles for 133 pd dog.
i bought a eye dropper at drug store. in each bottle there is 4.0 mg.
my dog takes 0.67 mg.
i measure out the mg and apply it to my dog.
i can get 1 year out of 4 bottles by buying x-large size and measuring it out.

all for 25 dollars :D

a lot of folks are using PURPLE cattle tags for their dogs ,1 tag last year on each dog. very cheap way to do it also.
before i did above it was costing me 65 dollars for 5 months of advantix k9.now 25 dollars for year or more. 8)

GrayDawg

Post by GrayDawg » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:56 am

JIM K wrote:have used advantix for years with no problems.vet rec it .
x2

Relax............... breathe deep
............. now exhale slowly. :wink:

Rob
May all your dog's points be productive & your arrows avoid all timber

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:19 pm

JIM K wrote:have used advantix for years with no problems.vet rec it .
+1
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!