Dog FOOD

cole.nelson782

Dog FOOD

Post by cole.nelson782 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:58 am

Recently I have been training my dogs pretty hard have been feeding the loyal with glucosamine is there a better dog food for them they act like they are bored with it should I switch it or they will eat it when they are hungry?

Ghosted3

Re: Dog FOOD

Post by Ghosted3 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:07 am

Sometimes dogs will get a bit bored with a feed, but hungry enough they will eat it. As far as better foods, that is just a subject to get people to argue on lol. If your dogs did do well on it, just hold out a bit and keep offering as much as you have been and hope they come around, if it seems like they are not coming around in another 3 or 4 days then maybe consider a different feed, you dont want then to start to lose weight ect.

Corry

KwikIrish

Post by KwikIrish » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:31 am

Some dogs go through poor eating phases, it can be the age or a genetic trait. Mine quickly had me trained, and I was constantly having to change their feed to keep them eating.

Soon after, I learned that with the right amount of exercise, and lack of me being willing to give in and buy new feed, they will eat what they get. Heck, I was feeding them one of the top feeds out there and rotating raw in... They were getting what they needed and once I got to one primary feed, they started to look better and their ears cleaned up.

I encourage you to not give in and change feed unless its causing allergies/health issues/poor condition/financial issues
Happily owned by red heads-
Cairncross Cat Ballou
Donegans Deal Me In (11/25/2008-6/14/2012)

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:28 am

cole.nelson782 wrote:Recently I have been training my dogs pretty hard have been feeding the loyal with glucosamine is there a better dog food for them they act like they are bored with it should I switch it or they will eat it when they are hungry?

keep same food, dont put food down all day.after 15 minutes if they dont eat it, pick it up and feed later.
dogs get bored because food sits around all day.

PICK IT UP AFTER 15 MINUTES.

cole.nelson782

Post by cole.nelson782 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:01 pm

They get 4 cups a day this morning they ate all of it. But yesterday they hardly touched it and ate it throughout the day. I am not wanting to change their food if i don't have to. So I will keep them on it maybe mix it up with some fresh. Thanks everyone.

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:09 pm

Like was mentioned, the dog gets 15 minutes to eat and then remove the bowl. I set time for dinner at my house for my kids, it keeps them from screwing around. Why should it be any different for dogs? Freegrazing isnt the answer. A popular phrase in my house to the kids is as follows, "You get what you get and you dont throw a fit". Amazing what can be done with children and animals when you apply boundaries! :roll:
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:02 pm

I give mine 10 minutes.

frontline

Not so fast....

Post by frontline » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:51 am

Which Loyal are you feeding? How old are your dogs and what do they weigh? How many times a day do you feed them? How are their ears, clean or inflamed and gunky?

If this was just one dog being picky I would agree with picking up the dish at a set time. You could also try adding a little water to the kibble to enhance the smell and increase interest but if the food is bad adding toppers to coerce them to eat might make them sick.

It sounds like you have more than one dog and if more than one dog is not showing interest then maybe something is wrong with the food. Is this a new food for them or something that they've had before? They may not like it. Is this a newly opened bag? It could be a bad bag. Is the expiration date good? If this is a food that they are accustomed to eating and if you are near the end of the bag it might not be as palatable. How do you store your food? As soon as a bag of food is opened it starts to degrade, good food storage will help keep the food from oxidizing as fast.

It's also possible that the food might not be meeting their needs or they just plain don't like it and in that case I would try another food. Loyal is high in by-products and also contains "natural glucosamine" (usually from cartilage), while by-products do contain valuable minerals they usually don't contain as high a quality of protein and are not as digestible. The digestible protein of a food isn't the same as the total protein content of a food. I'm sure your dogs would enjoy a more meaty formula, my dogs have never kept interest in foods that were high in by-products long term. Dogs know what's good for them! Do you know what the ash content is in this food? Ash content can give you a clue as to how good the food is. Loyal foods also contain high amounts of wheat and while I'm not opposed to feeding grains I do feel that grains that are high in gluten (like wheat) is not good for dogs.

cole.nelson782

Post by cole.nelson782 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:26 am

Well I have two dogs one is a 3 year old yellow lab big he weights in at 96lba and is not fat he has a big block head wide chest and narrow at the hips. The other dog is smaller he is a mix dog about 45-50 pounds and just turned two they seem to be more worried about when me and the wife leave the room thats when the stop eating. We want a food that will help with the labs hips that's why we went with the loyal high active formula is there something about 40 pound bag for the same price range. A 40lbs bag lasts about 2 and a half weeks.

smoothbean

Post by smoothbean » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:07 am

You may be feeding to much. That would be my first guess. You need to take a good look at your dogs. 96 lbs. sounds a little heavy to me but hard to tell without seeing the dog
You may try feeding twice a day, half of what you are giving in the morning and the other half at night. I think sometimes you can even feed less when doing this.

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:13 am

cole.nelson782 wrote:Well I have two dogs one is a 3 year old yellow lab big he weights in at 96lba and is not fat he has a big block head wide chest and narrow at the hips. The other dog is smaller he is a mix dog about 45-50 pounds and just turned two they seem to be more worried about when me and the wife leave the room thats when the stop eating. We want a food that will help with the labs hips that's why we went with the loyal high active formula is there something about 40 pound bag for the same price range. A 40lbs bag lasts about 2 and a half weeks.

i feed canidae als to my lab. he weights 75 pds. i give him no more than 3 cups per day.1 and 1/2 cups per feeding.
as for hips on lab,use this .

CosaminDS .i get it off amazon when sales are on with free shipping.start with 2 capsules a day for month ,then 1 capsule per day afterwards.use peanut butter to get your lab to swallow them.wal-mart carrys it also but price is higher.buy big bottles off amazon.
not being smart but i feel your dog should be at around 80 pds max.weight is hard on hips.

swimming will get rid of weight or exercise as much as youi can.

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:19 am

cole.nelson782 wrote:Well I have two dogs one is a 3 year old yellow lab big he weights in at 96lba and is not fat he has a big block head wide chest and narrow at the hips. The other dog is smaller he is a mix dog about 45-50 pounds and just turned two they seem to be more worried about when me and the wife leave the room thats when the stop eating. We want a food that will help with the labs hips that's why we went with the loyal high active formula is there something about 40 pound bag for the same price range. A 40lbs bag lasts about 2 and a half weeks.
on a 44 pd bag of CANIDAE ALS i believe i get well over month from 1 bag feeding 2 dogs 3 cups per day each.after 12 bags canidae gives you 1 bag free.

cole.nelson782

Post by cole.nelson782 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:24 pm

Well bought a bag of it this morning mixed it in with the old. But my gosh thats spendy here runs $60 a bag!! Can you buy it online and have it shipped to your home?

smoothbean

Post by smoothbean » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:04 pm

I don't know if you need to switch feed just feed less.

cole.nelson782

Post by cole.nelson782 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:32 pm

Well they must have enjoyed it they licked there bowls into the kitchen!!