Puppy Shot Intervals

hustonmc

Puppy Shot Intervals

Post by hustonmc » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:08 pm

Like anything else in life and especially dogs, there are a thousand ways to skin a cat. I personally know breeders and vets who's opinions vary on this topic. I've also had pups that were given their shots at 5/7/9. Picked the pup up at 7weeks and gave them the last shots myself. I've also had pups 7/9/12 I was responsible for 9 and 12, and talked to people that do 8/12/16. I guess this could also vary with people selling pups at 7 weeks vs. 12 weeks. But for arguments sake lets say the pups are going to new homes at 7 weeks.

So Vets and breeders that raise 2+ litters a year. What intervals do you use and why? If your shipping puppies all over the country do you start earlier, is it region specific????

deseeker

Re: Puppy Shot Intervals

Post by deseeker » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:44 pm

I used to do 2 litters a year. I would give a straight parvo shot at 5 weeks--I do this at 5 weeks because the pups start meeting future owners and friends that own dogs(I want some kind of protection in the pups(besides what mom has given them) when they start meeting new people---note: I do not let them bring their pets with them when they visit). I also give them the kennel cough prevention down the nose at 5 weeks(and 7 weeks)--I do this for prevention because I think the pups fights it off better if they do come down with it. I give them a 5 way puppy shot at 6 1/2 weeks if they are going home at 7 weeks. I reccomend to the new buyers that they give the pups another 5 way puppy shot between 9 and 10 weeks and a 7 way puppy shot between 13 and 15 weeks old. I also tell the new owners NO DOG PARKS and NO INTERSTATE PET REST STOPS until the pup has had all it's prevention---every sick dog in the US have been to these locations. This seems to work out good---I have not had a pup get parvo or sick yet(knock on wood). I also tell the new owners to ask their vet if they have Corona in their area--if so vacinate for that. As far as worming, I use Nemax at 4 weeks and Ivomeck at 6 1/2 weeks.

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:38 am

Breeding (which I cant really speak on) I would imagine would start earlier like deseeker, due to outside interactions. Getting a pup from a breeder, for everyone I have gotten was on a 4 week program 8, 12, 16. I am not saying thats the best, but the 3 different vets I have been to have all used the same "cycle" for the shots.

Corry

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:13 pm

Home of the truly versatile hunting companion www.vommountaincreek.com

royta

Post by royta » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:58 am

My breeder, Upper Ridge Brittany, did a 5-way and dewormer at 6 weeks. I picked up my pup at 8 weeks and took her to the vet the next day for a 5-way, intranasal bordetella, and Strongid T dewormer. They gave me a HeartGuard chew to give at 10 weeks. Then I'll be back at 12 weeks for a 7-way, injection bordetella, and Strongid T dewormer. They'll give me a HeartGuard chew to give at 14 weeks. Then back to the vet at 16 weeks for another 7-way, Strongid T dewormer, and Rabies. We don't worry about Corona here.

Sure, I could give the vaccines myself, but this way I know the pup is A J Squared Away. I will do bordetella on my own a week before lots of contact with other dogs.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:28 am

Neo Par at 5 weeks
then alternate between 2 companies parvo shots at 7 10 13 and 16 weeks of age
I worm with Ivermectin at 6 weeks of age
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:25 am

I have seen pups catch parvo between their second and third five way shots. Neopar has a shot schedule at neopar.com that I now follow.

KwikIrish

Post by KwikIrish » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:57 am

9 and 13. That's it. We follow the jean dodds protocol.
Happily owned by red heads-
Cairncross Cat Ballou
Donegans Deal Me In (11/25/2008-6/14/2012)