What meat is healthy for a dog

UpNorthHuntin

What meat is healthy for a dog

Post by UpNorthHuntin » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:59 pm

I know there are several posts out there already, but they have peaked my curiosity. In the absence of all of the old myths (feeding your hunting dog venison makes him chase deer etc...) what fresh meat is good for a dog? I have never fed my dog real raw meat. I have a cow butchered every year, but don't take the gizzards, lungs, tonque, etc... I also deer hunt and usually shoot one to two deer per year, so what part of the deer is good for adding to the dog's diet, especially during high peak training times or hunting season? I would guess the liver, heart, gizzards, etc would be pretty good. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

MonsterDad

Re: What meat is healthy for a dog

Post by MonsterDad » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:43 pm

Green tripe is the best raw meat. It is balanced with respect to calcium and phosphorous and pretty high in fat. It also has a bunch of enzymes and natural bacteria. Nothing comes close in terms of palatability either.

Pork shoulder is another good one and rather cheap especially this time of year.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:36 pm

What the heck is a gizzard in a cow or a deer Cj

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:47 pm

Any raw meat is good in moderation but the problem is when you feed it you throw the total diet out of balance. Feed a little if you want but keep it small. Green tripe is good but be sure you can stand a putrid smell and don't get any kisses from your dog for quite a while after it is consued. It is nothing more than the stomach of the animal that hasn't been washed, consequently called green. Yukkie at best. Many wild animals will eat it first when they make a kill, not because of the stomach but because of the vegetable matter in it. Thats how carnivores got a large percent of their vegetables that we now provide in our manufactured feeds

By the way the only animals that have gizzards are birds. Other animals have teeth to chew their food and do not need a gizzard with grit in it to chew the food up into small digestible particles
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Doc E

Post by Doc E » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:01 pm

EZZY's post was 100% right on the money.

Doc E & HR UH MHR WR SR Black Forest Casey
and
Nami E & HRCH UH HR Sauk River Tucker

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:00 pm

Doc E wrote:EZZY's post was 100% right on the money.

Except the part about only birds have gizzards. Most raw diet feeders use poultry and raw meafy bone from hoofstock.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:11 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:

Except the part about only birds have gizzards. Most raw diet feeders use poultry and raw meafy bone from hoofstock.
Have no idea where you are going with that but again let me tell you that only birds have gizzards. What does meat off of hoofstock have to do with gizzards?

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:30 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
Cajun Casey wrote:

Have no idea where you are going with that but again let me tell you that only birds have gizzards. What does meat off of hoofstock have to do with gizzards?

Ezzy
I answered the original question. And, you need to review your anatomy text.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:05 pm

I think earthworms have gizzards.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:17 pm

She must not have a clue what a gizzard is? You have seen the Geigo ads I am sure. That little green gizzard is what we are talking about.

Ezzy

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:11 am

Aligators and crocodiles have gizzards as well as earthworms and some fish.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:29 am

ezzy333 wrote:Any raw meat is good in moderation but the problem is when you feed it you throw the total diet out of balance. Feed a little if you want but keep it small. Green tripe is good but be sure you can stand a putrid smell and don't get any kisses from your dog for quite a while after it is consued. It is nothing more than the stomach of the animal that hasn't been washed, consequently called green. Yukkie at best. Many wild animals will eat it first when they make a kill, not because of the stomach but because of the vegetable matter in it. Thats how carnivores got a large percent of their vegetables that we now provide in our manufactured feeds

By the way the only animals that have gizzards are birds. Other animals have teeth to chew their food and do not need a gizzard with grit in it to chew the food up into small digestible particles

I have seen the contents of a cow's stomach and I don't think they are after it. Plenty of fresh cow patties around already. Wild animals go there first only because the hide is tougher than the a$$ to get in.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:29 am

ezzy333 wrote:Any raw meat is good in moderation but the problem is when you feed it you throw the total diet out of balance. Feed a little if you want but keep it small. Green tripe is good but be sure you can stand a putrid smell and don't get any kisses from your dog for quite a while after it is consued. It is nothing more than the stomach of the animal that hasn't been washed, consequently called green. Yukkie at best. Many wild animals will eat it first when they make a kill, not because of the stomach but because of the vegetable matter in it. Thats how carnivores got a large percent of their vegetables that we now provide in our manufactured feeds

I have seen the contents of a cow's stomach and I don't think they are after it. Plenty of fresh cow patties around already. Wild animals go there first only because the hide is tougher than the a$$ to get in.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:42 am

gotpointers wrote:

You shoud know that the rear is surrounded with bone and the only way to the stomach area is through the belly area. The whole animal is covered with hide and that has never been a deferment that I have seen, at least easier than bone to get through.

Ezzy

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:04 am

No disrespect but I have witnessed fresh carcasses and this area is opend up first. Not large enough to get inside completely but plenty of room for a coyote muzzle to separate and grab the colon from the hide and start pulling. I'm out in cattle range country on horseback often to see it.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:12 am

So, the question is - Do they go after the guts first because it is a matter of convenience or a matter of preference?

UpNorthHuntin

Post by UpNorthHuntin » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:28 am

cjhills wrote:What the heck is a gizzard in a cow or a deer Cj
Sorry... Meant in chickens, turkeys etc...

Doc E

Post by Doc E » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:43 am

Cajun Casey wrote:I answered the original question. And, you need to review your anatomy text.

Definition of GIZZARD
1a : the muscular enlargement of the alimentary canal of birds that has usually thick muscular walls and a tough horny lining for grinding the food and when the crop is present follows it and the proventriculus

b : a thickened part of the alimentary canal in some animals (as an insect or an earthworm) that is similar in function to the crop of a bird

Doc E & HR UH MHR WR SR Black Forest Casey
and
Nami E & HRCH UH HR Sauk River Tucker

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:56 am

gotpointers wrote:No disrespect but I have witnessed fresh carcasses and this area is opend up first. Not large enough to get inside completely but plenty of room for a coyote muzzle to separate and grab the colon from the hide and start pulling. I'm out in cattle range country on horseback often to see it.
This makes sense. It is simply a matter of a convenient route to get to the meat. It also is probably the area where there is less fur/hair. Then they would work out from there.
ezzy333 wrote:Many wild animals will eat it first when they make a kill, not because of the stomach but because of the vegetable matter in it. Thats how carnivores got a large percent of their vegetables that we now provide in our manufactured feeds.
I have seen no scientific evidence to suggest that carnivores like wolves or coyotes are going for that area first because it may contain vegetable matter. As gotpointers suggested, if they wanted to eat veggies there are certainly easier ways to go about getting it than chasing down, killing, and gutting another animal... like actually eating vegetation. It's simply a vulnerable area that allows easy access to meat. I think ascribing anything more to it is unfounded.
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:09 pm

In the context of the discussion (and those who would detract from "by-product" ingredients), whatever the motivation it is established that the alpha animals will eat a majority of intestinal meat and the contents thereof when they make a kill. It would be preposterous to make any claim that they are somehow unhealthier because of it or that whole muscle meat was in some way better.

UpNorthHuntin

Post by UpNorthHuntin » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:31 pm

SubMariner wrote:
gotpointers wrote:No disrespect but I have witnessed fresh carcasses and this area is opend up first. Not large enough to get inside completely but plenty of room for a coyote muzzle to separate and grab the colon from the hide and start pulling. I'm out in cattle range country on horseback often to see it.
This makes sense. It is simply a matter of a convenient route to get to the meat. It also is probably the area where there is less fur/hair. Then they would work out from there.
ezzy333 wrote:Many wild animals will eat it first when they make a kill, not because of the stomach but because of the vegetable matter in it. Thats how carnivores got a large percent of their vegetables that we now provide in our manufactured feeds.
I have seen no scientific evidence to suggest that carnivores like wolves or coyotes are going for that area first because it may contain vegetable matter. As gotpointers suggested, if they wanted to eat veggies there are certainly easier ways to go about getting it than chasing down, killing, and gutting another animal... like actually eating vegetation. It's simply a vulnerable area that allows easy access to meat. I think ascribing anything more to it is unfounded.
I always thought it was just due to the Awefull smell. Hasn't anyone ever gutted a deer and accidentally cut the stomach. Enough to make you freakin throw-up. I just figured that terrible smell was the reason they went for the intestines first?

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:51 pm

slistoe wrote:In the context of the discussion (and those who would detract from "by-product" ingredients), whatever the motivation it is established that the alpha animals will eat a majority of intestinal meat and the contents thereof when they make a kill. It would be preposterous to make any claim that they are somehow unhealthier because of it or that whole muscle meat was in some way better.
Well put....