belly rashes

Sharon
GDF Junkie

belly rashes

Post by Sharon » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:08 pm

I have a chronic illness that pops up off and on so haven't posted much lately , but any answers to my question would be appreciated.

What experience has your dog had with belly rashes - losing hair, redness, itchy? This is a third summer of the problem with one of my dogs . It's not mites/mange but seemingly an allergic reaction. Vet has her on an anti histamine again and is recommending "vet dog food for skin problems " , at $82. for 10 kgs. I've never been interested in vet food but am wondering if anyone has found it to make a difference.

Could it be an allergic reaction to the Advantix?

I know none are vets here and I do trust my vet's opinions but just wondered if anyone here had experienced anything similar. Thanks.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

pud123

Re: belly rashes

Post by pud123 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:15 am

My gwp was getting a bumpy red rash on her belly this summer, I switched ponds that we used for swimming and it cleaned up in less than a week. Vets like to push towards high dollar food right off the bat.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:07 am

I've been chasing a chronic itch, redness, etc on my pointer for over a year. Ive been testing for food, bedding, grass, flea/heartworm meds, etc, tests, its just been going on and on. Recently, the dog was at a trainer's place 75 miles away, in a kennel for a month. It all went away. Now she's back a few days and its starting all again. So its environmental for sure, not food or flea/heartworm meds. My latest suspicion is the carpet in the house....or more specifically, the carpet cleaning fluid. The pointer has a habit of dragging her belly on the carpet all the time. I'm going to try using our carpet cleaning machine with just water and a small amount of vinegar.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:35 pm

Very interesting. Thank you.

(Vet thinks it might be pond water too.)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:59 pm

roaniecowpony wrote:I've been chasing a chronic itch, redness, etc on my pointer for over a year. Ive been testing for food, bedding, grass, flea/heartworm meds, etc, tests, its just been going on and on. Recently, the dog was at a trainer's place 75 miles away, in a kennel for a month. It all went away. Now she's back a few days and its starting all again. So its environmental for sure, not food or flea/heartworm meds. My latest suspicion is the carpet in the house....or more specifically, the carpet cleaning fluid. The pointer has a habit of dragging her belly on the carpet all the time. I'm going to try using our carpet cleaning machine with just water and a small amount of vinegar.
I do that too and get a rash.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:02 pm

Sharon, Nutram has an allergy formula and I bet it doesn't cost that much.

You can also try OTC Zyrtec.

Munster

Post by Munster » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:29 pm

chiggers from the grass or some other grass dwelling demon?

Dont think it would be advantex. That would be more in the area of application.
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:15 am

ezzy333 wrote:
roaniecowpony wrote:I've been chasing a chronic itch, redness, etc on my pointer for over a year. Ive been testing for food, bedding, grass, flea/heartworm meds, etc, tests, its just been going on and on. Recently, the dog was at a trainer's place 75 miles away, in a kennel for a month. It all went away. Now she's back a few days and its starting all again. So its environmental for sure, not food or flea/heartworm meds. My latest suspicion is the carpet in the house....or more specifically, the carpet cleaning fluid. The pointer has a habit of dragging her belly on the carpet all the time. I'm going to try using our carpet cleaning machine with just water and a small amount of vinegar.
I do that too and get a rash.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:17 pm

If you don't kinow what a belly rash looks like ...........maybe you just like to use that avatar? :)

The thread has been very helpful to me- some weed, pond algae, fertilizer residue, weed spray, ........I have something to work with now and I appreciate the responses.

NLsetter

Post by NLsetter » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:52 pm

My gordon setter has had the same thing every summer for 5-6 years, skin on belly gets dry, flaky and the hair really thins out. Never bad in the winter but from late spring/early summer it would get bad. In the last 2 years she hasnt had it at all, only thing changed was her food. She has always been on a good food and I really cant see how the food would only cause a problem during certain times of the year. The fur on her belly is the longest and thickest its ever been in her life. Vet had given me all kinds of hocus pocus over the years and nothing worked.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:27 am

One other thing I'm going to look into is my gardener's use of fertilizer/pesticide on the lawn. The dogs have free access to the small backyard. I noted today that the Lab scratched like mad half the night as well as the pointer. And the lab is normally not a problem.

Whatever is going on, it's sure as heck not the food. The pointer had the same bin of food go with her to the trainer and back. It's definitely an environmental issue.

The gardener was at the house a couple days ago. I'm going to find out if he put something on the lawn.