excercise induced collapse

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:33 pm

Has anybody seen exercise induced collapse (EIC) in GSPs or any breed other than Labs or Chesapeakes...................................Cj

Del Lolo

Re: excercise induced collapse

Post by Del Lolo » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:44 pm

It's also seen in Boykins

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:53 pm

I've seen it in a Vizsla but I wouldn't say they are very susceptible for it.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:56 pm

Every breed!
If It's exercise induced,It can't be breed specific ?..Doh!

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:55 pm

polmaise wrote:Every breed!
Not so sure about that. It is also genetic. So if the breed doesn't have carriers the breed doesn't have it. Cj

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:04 pm

cjhills wrote:It is also genetic.
Cj

It's not "also" genetic --- it 100% purely genetic.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:22 pm

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:27 am

Please provide your source documenting that it is in every breed.

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:43 am

cjhills wrote:Has anybody seen exercise induced collapse (EIC) in GSPs or any breed other than Labs or Chesapeakes...
Not that I had EIC actually diagnosed but I did have an English Pointer that experienced it...VERY well bred too.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:31 pm

I don't know if it was what you asked about, but I was within 20 yds of a GSP hunting in maybe 70ºf temp that started wobbling and fell over in some kind of seizure. Its eyes rolled back and it was completely unresponsive. The owner and I thought the dog was going to die.

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:01 pm

PntrRookie wrote:Not that I had EIC actually diagnosed but I did have an English Pointer that experienced it...VERY well bred too.
There are quite a few things that can mimic EIC.
Without the genetic test, you can't know for sure.

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:02 pm

roaniecowpony wrote:I don't know if it was what you asked about, but I was within 20 yds of a GSP hunting in maybe 70ºf temp that started wobbling and fell over in some kind of seizure. Its eyes rolled back and it was completely unresponsive. The owner and I thought the dog was going to die.
See my last post.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:17 am

roaniecowpony wrote:I don't know if it was what you asked about, but I was within 20 yds of a GSP hunting in maybe 70ºf temp that started wobbling and fell over in some kind of seizure. Its eyes rolled back and it was completely unresponsive. The owner and I thought the dog was going to die.
EIC is not a one time event.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:03 am

ACooper wrote:

Please provide your source documenting that it is in every breed.
University of Minnesota.
They haven't got round to test them all yet,but the Collie looks a safe bet. :lol:
I'm sure if you keep on testing for something you will eventually find it. :roll:

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:32 am

The University of IDENTIFYTHEKNOWITALL, has done extensive testing on the causes of the behavior exhibited by those that add little to any discussion or discourse they have yet to determine if it is environmental, cultural or genetic. However, they do offer this hope; the glib and narrow minded comments often confuse the inexperienced in a given subject matter and this of course is the real danger...NOT the screeching finger nail on the chalkboard sensation you get when reading the comments. They suggest that the inexperienced can look for the warning signs; excessive use of multiple emoticons, the dismissal of others comments with smug and broad declarations, and minimizing the medium they are participating in by pointing out the utter silliness of the others engaged...

Fortunately my own research and observation of either gender in this demographic while interacting with the opposite sex shows there is little chance of over breeding...

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:43 am

Chukar12 wrote:The University of IDENTIFYTHEKNOWITALL, has done extensive testing on the causes of the behavior exhibited by those that add little to any discussion or discourse they have yet to determine if it is environmental, cultural or genetic. However, they do offer this hope; the glib and narrow minded comments often confuse the inexperienced in a given subject matter and this of course is the real danger...NOT the screeching finger nail on the chalkboard sensation you get when reading the comments. They suggest that the inexperienced can look for the warning signs; excessive use of multiple emoticons, the dismissal of others comments with smug and broad declarations, and minimizing the medium they are participating in by pointing out the utter silliness of the others engaged...

Fortunately my own research and observation of either gender in this demographic while interacting with the opposite sex shows there is little chance of over breeding...
I was thinking something like that I thought it was a easy question. didn't think it would start a fight. Oh well what do I know.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:00 pm

Not breeding with those tested and known would be an option.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:40 pm

If you all will scroll up and click on the link posted above by me you can learn the answers to your questions. Any dog can have heatstroke or low blood sugar. EIC is a specific disorder that has specific symptoms - not just collapse of any kind.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:07 pm

mountaindogs wrote:If you all will scroll up and click on the link posted above by me you can learn the answers to your questions. Any dog can have heatstroke or low blood sugar. EIC is a specific disorder that has specific symptoms - not just collapse of any kind.
I am very familiar with the UofM studies. Both of my vets and one of my daughters are involved in these studies. My question was if any body as had it diagnosed in a GSP or other breed. not trying to learn how to diagnose it CJ

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:39 pm

cjhills wrote:
mountaindogs wrote:If you all will scroll up and click on the link posted above by me you can learn the answers to your questions. Any dog can have heatstroke or low blood sugar. EIC is a specific disorder that has specific symptoms - not just collapse of any kind.
I am very familiar with the UofM studies. Both of my vets and one of my daughters are involved in these studies. My question was if any body as had it diagnosed in a GSP or other breed. not trying to learn how to diagnose it CJ
Affected Chesapeake Bay Retrievers, Curly-Coated Retrievers, Boykin Spaniels, German Wirehaired Pointers, Bouvier des Flanders, Old English Sheepdogs and Pembroke Welsh Corgis have also been identified.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:31 am

ACoopers's quote is straight from the link. Those are the breeds it has been diagnosed in.

While you may know about the research and the disorder, many commenting on this thread seem to not. So they can find answers there also.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:09 pm

cjhills wrote: I am very familiar with the UofM studies. Both of my vets and one of my daughters are involved in these studies. My question was if any body as had it diagnosed in a GSP or other breed. not trying to learn how to diagnose it CJ
I am also aware of that cj.
Perhaps the disagreement started in other states.
For your info (if interested) also seen it in English Springer Spaniel ! ,narrowed down to two or three prominent lines some years ago,and those lines are not favoured anymore.The gene pool over here in UK (May) have more history with that breed but I believe they haven't been fully tested yet?....As yet! the GSP and HPR pool is insignificant in comparison.
As I said before , the 'Collie' is still showing good so far.

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:43 pm

polmaise wrote:Not breeding with those tested and known would be an option.
Are you speaking about Affected or Carrier ?
And breeding to what to what ? Clean ? Affected ? Carrier ?