gsp pup eating wood

harge57

gsp pup eating wood

Post by harge57 » Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:27 pm

I have a 10 week old pup that has an extreme interest in chewing on wood. Any stick laying around he has to chew on. I am afraid he is actually digesting quite a bit should i be worried or is it pretty natuaral for pups to chew on things like that. also will allowing or disallowing it have any effect on training

pear

Post by pear » Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:01 pm

From my experiance it's very natural. I'd supply plenty of "rawhide Chewies" as wood probably won't hurt but can't be good as well. As to a training effect, I'd say not to worry, and let them chew on rawhides and be a puppy. Heck all my dogs enjoy to get a rawhide, from the youngest to the oldest. ..."pear"
"When I was a kid, I used to pray every night for a new "puppy". Then I realized that the Lord, in his wisdom, didn't work that way. So I just stole one and asked him to forgive me".

Arti
Nikki
Diamond
Bailey

DaveyCroketJr

Post by DaveyCroketJr » Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:19 pm

Ive got a 6 month old wood chewer also, less sticks in the yard to clean. I figured it helps with teething

EWSIV

Post by EWSIV » Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:15 pm

My brittany is a wood chewer also. He has been doing it since I got him. Keeps stools hard :wink:

jmotocross9

Post by jmotocross9 » Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:08 pm

yea my brittnay (7 month) always does and today he got in to the charchoal..................... it was a mess lol

DaveyCroketJr

Post by DaveyCroketJr » Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:51 pm

I wonder why they like charcoal so much, i really think my pup would go into the fire to get it out. I guess i will have to taste it to find out :D

GsPJustin

Post by GsPJustin » Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:48 pm

and.....?

DaveyCroketJr

Post by DaveyCroketJr » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:44 pm

Taste like chicken

jmotocross9

Post by jmotocross9 » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:08 pm

DaveyCroketJr wrote:Taste like chicken
.......new that was coming lol

GsPJustin

Post by GsPJustin » Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:08 am

ROTFL!!!

I figured so...

Emptypair

Post by Emptypair » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:59 pm

We have lots of pines in the yard and the dogs are always chewing away. It's funny...the sticks really do keep things firm! :? I often worried about it, but so many dogs seem to do it. Mine haven't had the transition to charcoal yet...maybe with age :)
Put some ground under the dogs...

Donnerhund GWP

Post by Donnerhund GWP » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:12 am

I have a 3.5 yr old wirehair that will still eat wood. The two younger dogs (almost 2yo) regularly unload my firewood shed. They've stopped eating the dog houses though! :) They seem to be lacking something in their diet.... PVC maybe? they ate my garden hose (X4-5).
Copper? ... ate the wiring off the duck boat trailer.
Plastic? ... ate the water bucket, frisbee, etc, etc, etc.
Nylon?... been through a half dozen dog collars this year.
All this makes poop scoop detail quite interesting. You can watch for different colors in the lawn sausages and try to guess what you'll have to replace this week! :lol: :lol: :lol:

p.s. Never leave the ATV or the Lawn mower unattended in the back yard!
Men in Black -- Protecting Earth from the scum of the Universe
-------------------------------------------------------
Donnerhund!
Registered German Wirehaired Pointers

Emptypair

Post by Emptypair » Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:14 pm

That's too funny :lol: Finally, I'm not alone!!!!!!! When my Lab was six months, she found a soda can in the weeds and thought it would be a good idea to eat it. After scooping up a huge suprise the next day, I went looking around the yard to see if anything was left. In the corner of the fence I found a top and bottom of the offending can! She had chewed the middle out of it but couldn't turn the ends into a meal. Copper wiring...now that's interesting :oops:
Put some ground under the dogs...

DaveyCroketJr

Post by DaveyCroketJr » Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:21 pm

Ouch. a soda can. I dont even want to think about that :x

gdog

Post by gdog » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:00 pm

Wait till they eat the kids big box of crayons. My dog loves em and craps out big rainbow turds. Might try feeding her the glow in the dark crayons. Might help with picking the dog turds at night.

Donnerhund GWP

Post by Donnerhund GWP » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:48 am

Ironic! I wrote that last night and guess what I discovered this morning while cleaning out the kennel!
Add Tie-downs to the list. At least she didn't eat the hooks! ( I think,.... I only found 1 in the yard)
Donnerhund!

Debf

Post by Debf » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:31 am

Both the wirehairs chew up sticks and the little DD pup has joined right in. She ran into the house carrying a log the other night. I don't know how she managed to hold it and why she didn't tip over it was so large.

Donnerhund - very nice looking GWPs, what lines are they out of?

Deb

Donnerhund GWP

Post by Donnerhund GWP » Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:08 am

from the photo
L. Samantha Vom Krieger. Sam is my pride and joy. 3.5 Y.O. female. She is from Von Krieger kennel in Weston Id.
R. Ada Vom Donnerhund. My wife's dog, ~2 Y.O. female. Ada is one of Sam's pups from a breed to a local stud: Duke. We also kept another pup- Sage.

Sam: Sire- Miek Vom Richthof
Dam- Southpaw Kaneeka

"Duke"
White's Manor Runaway Duke: Sire - Three Devil's Blitzkreig
Dam - White's Manor Runaway Bailey

Here are some photos of "Sage" She is the blacksheep of the family. Most folks think she's a GSP.
Amori Vom Donnerhund (Sorry, I don't know why these photos are so big)
(Image Removed)
And Duke
Last edited by Donnerhund GWP on Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Donnerhund!

Debf

Post by Debf » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:44 am

I thought the dogs pictured maybe have been out of the Krieger Kennel. A gentleman from Wisconsin had two wirehairs from this kennel at the Invitational a couple of years ago. Your girls reminded me of his dogs. The breeder must be going for a certain 'type' considering that the two I saw were out of Ken Vospet & a Treborwolf bitch.

As you can see our DD pup looks like a shorthair too. Kind of disappointing since I really like the looks of a beard but she's a great little dog otherwise. Her looks are starting to grow on me but I'll always prefer the fuzzy face. Her pal in the picture is our GWP, Max.

Thanks for the info on your dogs,

Deb

Haile

Post by Haile » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:58 am

Believe it or not charcoal is used when an animal is poisoned. Not the BBQ kind but maybe yours is trying a new version! LOL :wink:

Things that dogs eat or roll in sometimes is too gross to even talk about yet here they come, wagging their tails and wanting to give use kisses. UGH! :lol:

Another Wonderful Day in Texas!

gwgdog66

Post by gwgdog66 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:53 am

My GSP, tears up the back yard brush pile, eats every stick in it. She has also dug up the soaker hose out of the flower beds, chewed it all up. She also made quick work of a dead rose bush!

Luke's Guide

Post by Luke's Guide » Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:14 pm

Oh... let's see.

One five year old GSP = Two pair of wifes glasses (frames and all) rocks, sticks, my 2 year olds stuffed animals (technicolor poop), crayons(more color), cats chew toys (whole), fringe from a carpet. Funny thing though. She never bothers my stuff. What a good dog.
aka Bob

Donnerhund GWP

Post by Donnerhund GWP » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:22 pm

Ok, now I'm in trouble with the neihbors.

Add cats to the list. :oops:
Donnerhund!

MOOSE

Post by MOOSE » Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:29 am

There cat should know better. :-) Your dogs are just doing there job with that one!
Beth
UWP GRCH UMJCH BNJ Shooter's Rising Phoenix CGC-GSP
USUV UMJCH Flying High Rajah TDI- APBT
UJJ CH Legacyk FlwCrk The Old Peublo RD- GSP
UWP UCD UMJ URO1 GRCH BNJ Rumor Has It CGC RN RD NA II- GSP

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:22 am

Maybe it's a reflex action for dogs that have had their tails chopped off. All dogs have been known to do strange things, but the "offbrands" may have a greater proclivity for such. :lol:
big steve

Donnerhund GWP

Post by Donnerhund GWP » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:12 am

MOOSE wrote:There cat should know better. :-) Your dogs are just doing there job with that one!
I'm not a "cat person" myself. but it is quite embarassing when my girls go next door and bring one back.
Donnerhund!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:15 am

If that is doing their job then mine are going to have find different employment or take one heck of a cut in pay after their jail time.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.