Gravy Train....

nanney1

Gravy Train....

Post by nanney1 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:12 am

Went to a family get together over the weekend. On the way inside, noticed their two mixed breed dogs in the back yard. Dogs were happy and friendly, running around the yard. Got bored and walked outside through the garage and noticed a half empty bag of Gravy Train just sitting out, bag open. Decided to give the dogs another glance. They looked healthy with good coats and were in good body condition. These are basically yard dogs and they have a good sized yard to exercise in.

Just an observation.

vartz04

Re: Gravy Train....

Post by vartz04 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:14 am

How many land mines were in the yard

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:20 am

and lets ask them to hunt all day on open prairie.....

My dogs in the past all did well on Big Red, but as stated the yard was full of landmines, huge landmines and i don't think they really had the energy the dogs I feed today do.....back then we hunted a dog a couple hours at most, these days I've run my dogs 4-5-even 6 hours a day, Though 5 and 6 hours is visibly rough on them.
Last edited by birddog1968 on Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

nanney1

Post by nanney1 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:23 am

I've thought about that. I didn't notice any land mines or any smell coming from the yard. While I was there, I wasn't looking for them and/or trying to see if I noticed anything. Just after the fact I thought about it. Maybe they cleaned up the yard since folks were coming over.

You know, you can buy foods like Gravy Train, Alpo, Kibbles and Bits, etc.... at most any grocery store, at WalMart, K-mart, etc.... Probably many, many dogs doing just as well as these two were.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:24 am

Its one thing being a yard pet and another being likened to an Olympic marathon runner.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:36 am

I appear to be doing just fine and all I eat is Big Mac's. Take a closer look at the arteries, heart, BP, etc.

+1 on Birddog68's comment.
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:05 pm

That product must be a cash cow for Del Monte because it costs almost twice what SportMix, Tuffy's & Red Flannel cost.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:10 pm

Interesting that dog food has become such a religion that people feel obligated to judge.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:27 pm

topher40 wrote:I appear to be doing just fine and all I eat is Big Mac's. Take a closer look at the arteries, heart, BP, etc.

+1 on Birddog68's comment.
You would be dead if you had a 5 Guys nearby..... :lol:

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:50 pm

Great, now I have to make a run to the big city to get a Five Guys fix. I'll obsess over it now. Darn it, I can feel the arteries clogging now.

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:59 pm

RoostersMom wrote:Great, now I have to make a run to the big city to get a Five Guys fix. I'll obsess over it now. Darn it, I can feel the arteries clogging now.
5 Guys is so politically incorrect too. There are peanuts all over for you to snack on and the fries are made in peanut oil and they brag about using 70/30 beef.

I go about once a month because the boys love it.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:13 pm

[quote="topher40"]I appear to be doing just fine and all I eat is Big Mac's. Take a closer look at the arteries, heart, BP, etc." quote

I want to see a picture. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:15 am

MonsterDad wrote:
RoostersMom wrote:Great, now I have to make a run to the big city to get a Five Guys fix. I'll obsess over it now. Darn it, I can feel the arteries clogging now.
5 Guys is so politically incorrect too. There are peanuts all over for you to snack on and the fries are made in peanut oil and they brag about using 70/30 beef.

I go about once a month because the boys love it.
Stop wasting your money and eat at In N Out for less with better food. :-p

I don't care what anyone else feeds their dog. Have at it! Just don't tell me what to feed mine.

nanney1

Post by nanney1 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:07 pm

Follow up to the Gravy Train story:

A little over a month later went to different family member's home to see their litter of Blue Heeler pups. Guess what was laying around the barn? Another bag of Gravy Train. Looks like both of the parents were being fed this and the pups too. I didn't ask but what I saw in the bowl for the male in his kennel was the same thing I saw in the barn stall with mom and pups, except it had been crunched up a little into smaller pieces. Mom looked good and the pups were fat and growing.

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:25 pm

If your dog does well on a food, feed it. We've never had good luck with diamond. All the dogs get is the runs. Lots of folks love feeding Diamond.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:32 pm

Ms. Cage wrote:If your dog does well on a food, feed it. We've never had good luck with diamond. All the dogs get is the runs. Lots of folks love feeding Diamond.
This is a common complaint with people feeding Diamond feeds and we have found practically always it relates to feeding too much especially when you first switch.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:51 pm

nanney1 wrote:Follow up to the Gravy Train story:

A little over a month later went to different family member's home to see their litter of Blue Heeler pups. Guess what was laying around the barn? Another bag of Gravy Train. Looks like both of the parents were being fed this and the pups too. I didn't ask but what I saw in the bowl for the male in his kennel was the same thing I saw in the barn stall with mom and pups, except it had been crunched up a little into smaller pieces. Mom looked good and the pups were fat and growing.
Two families is not a scientific study. Do some research at :

http://cvm.msu.edu/hospital/services/nu ... a-pet-food
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

nanney1

Post by nanney1 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:21 pm

Never claimed what I posted in this thread to be a scientific study. In fact, if you read my first post in this thread, I noted that it was "just an observation."

And by the way Sharon, the link you posted is not a scientific study either. It's just some general information that happens to be posted on the website of a College of Veterinary Medicine. I didn't see a prevailing question, hypothesis, literature review, discussion of the methodology, experimental design carried out, results, and discussion of results, all followed up with appropriate citations. You know, the kind of stuff usually found in published research. In fact, it was described as a pamphlet.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:33 pm

Sorry if I offended you- not my intent.

nanney1

Post by nanney1 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:52 pm

No offense taken.