lyme disease

mask

lyme disease

Post by mask » Sat May 03, 2014 11:09 am

Can a dog that has had lymes be safely vaccinated after they are treated and symptoms are gone?

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Re: lyme disease

Post by cjhills » Sat May 03, 2014 2:07 pm

yes. the lymes vaccine is only about 70% affective, so you need a good tick repellant......................Cj

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sat May 03, 2014 9:34 pm

I won't use the vaccine....all mine have had active bouts of Lyme and needed treatment with doxy at one time or another....but after discussion with my vet the vaccine results seem marginal in this locale so I choose to not give it....

I've found best prevention is by keeping ticks off them best I can and being in tune with symptoms large or small.....dogs can carry a low grade infection for a long time so you have to be vigilant in prone areas.

Just my two cents
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun May 04, 2014 2:45 pm

" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Grange

Post by Grange » Tue May 06, 2014 2:49 pm

My setter had Lyme disease while on the vaccine and being treated with Frontline Plus. For the next couple years the vet said he'd feel like he was stealing from me if I gave my setter the vaccine. Well last fall when I took her in for Anaplasmosis the vet said research now recommends giving a dog that already had Lyme disease the Lyme vaccine. So this year both my dogs got the Lyme vaccine.

mask

Post by mask » Wed May 07, 2014 12:36 pm

Thank you for the info. Lyme is unheard of here, the tick was picked up in northern California last winter. We had used a systemic repellent but perhaps not soon enough. I found the tick on about the forth day. two months later the first symptoms started, five weeks on antibiotics and he acts normal again. Again thanks to those that responded.

Grange

Post by Grange » Wed May 07, 2014 3:10 pm

My setter showed signs of Lyme in mid-December. The only tick that I know attached to my setter was picked off in early to mid September. So that is about 3 months between tick bite and showing symptoms.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed May 07, 2014 5:18 pm

Id be surprised if you actually saw the tick that caused the lyme or the other tick born disease. Some
ticks are almost too small to see so seeing every tick that bites a dog is improbable, not impossible but
improbable. They say it takes 24 hours for a tick to infect but I don't know if I believe that either.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Grange

Post by Grange » Wed May 07, 2014 6:43 pm

birddog1968 wrote:Id be surprised if you actually saw the tick that caused the lyme or the other tick born disease. Some
ticks are almost too small to see so seeing every tick that bites a dog is improbable, not impossible but
improbable. They say it takes 24 hours for a tick to infect but I don't know if I believe that either.
Then you can be surprised. Just because my setter didn't show signs for three months doesn't mean the dog wasn't infected much of that time. In fact I'd be surprised if she wasn't infected well before she showed symptoms. The Anaplasmosis infection was this past fall during trial season so some time after the Lyme infection.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed May 07, 2014 8:28 pm

I'm sure she was....don't know why your being hostile, maybe you misunderstand the point I was making........dogs can carry low grade infection for years...this is the worst scenario as long term joint damage / arthritis is the result.

All I was saying is some of the ticks are nearly invisible small...so dog could have been bit by more than one tick.

I had been bit 100 times or more in a bad Lyme locale before I was infected.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Grange

Post by Grange » Thu May 08, 2014 7:45 pm

I understand your point and understand how small deer ticks can be. Due to the prevalence of Lyme and other tick borne diseases around here I am extremely diligent at finding ticks on my dogs. Its much easier to find them on my setter than my lab due to the color and denseness of the the fur. They get checked during the hunt, after the hunt, before they are loaded up, later that evening and several times afterwords. Yes deer ticks can be hard to see, but they are much easier to find after they are attached, especially after feeding for a while. Add in the tick repellent and tick comb I am quite confident the one tick I found attached to my setter that year was the one that infected her.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Thu May 08, 2014 9:45 pm

Little trick I learned on dark coated dogs....rub their fur backwards vigorously and even the tiniest ticks will come to the surface and crawl around....look for the shiny little devils. Works on my black lab.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno