rash in armpits?

h&t

rash in armpits?

Post by h&t » Wed May 20, 2015 7:45 am

Hi all,

My 9 mo pup has mild dry pink to red rash in both armpits (where the front legs connect to the body).
It started in the winter, I thought it was rubbing. The food was changed couple times (not because of the rash).
No seasonal allergies in the winter. Don't think it's anything contagious because the second dog doesn't have anything and it's only in the armpits.
I never had white dog before, so wasn't sure if it's something I simply haven't noticed on other dogs...

Any ideas?

RickB

Re: rash in armpits?

Post by RickB » Wed May 20, 2015 1:12 pm

Talk to your vet to be sure. Sounds like a routine skin infection. A course of antibiotics will clear that up.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed May 20, 2015 2:16 pm

My setters are white. Armpits , crotch are more pink when one would expect when everything is fine. They do have an allergy from May to Oct though, and you can see a more irritated pink. I use Benedry. Was the laundry soap changed or .........?

( I don't use an antibiotic unless I see infection/pustules appearing... vet's opinion too.)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

h&t

Post by h&t » Thu May 21, 2015 8:25 pm

Thanks, Sharon.

I don't laundry my dogs ;)
Seriously, I don't wash them or their bedding, unless it's an emergency.
Recently we've been having lots of emergencies and then I wash them with baby shampoo or baby laundry detergrent for the bedding, but it all started well before that...
I keep thinking it could be from rubbing, she does run like crazy :roll:
Do you give Benadryl once or twice a day? 25 mg pill for a setter?
I read that some other antihistamines could be better for dogs, e.g. Claritin.
Some vets try them one a time until they find the one that works best.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri May 22, 2015 2:56 pm

Benedryl twice a day I give - noon and before bed ( midnight).

1 mg per pound of dog
Can be given 2-3 times a day.
2.5 mg per ml ( I buy it in liquid form at Walmart ; my dogs fight pills and the liquid is very cheap at Walmart.)

Skin will still appear red ,but no itching will of course lessen the possibility of infection.

"I read that some other antihistamines could be better for dogs, e.g. Claritin.
Some vets try them one a time until they find the one that works best." quote h&t

Interesting. I'll ask my vet about that.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

h&t

Post by h&t » Fri May 22, 2015 3:12 pm

I took her to the vet today for something else.
She said it does look like allergy, starting to get infected, she said either wait or use some steroid spray on it.
I got steroid with AB spray just in case.