Dog Food

art hubbard

Dog Food

Post by art hubbard » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:15 pm

Anybody feed Pro Plan Sport 30/20? any comments as to condition of dogs, stools, etc.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Dog Food

Post by Sharon » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:41 pm

All this has been discussed fully. I highly recommend you read some of the other food threads .

"Here's one for the dog food gurus! " thread

"Figuring out the % of calories from fat, protein, and carbs." thread

I've fed it since my first dog many years ago and have been very happy with it( coat/energy level/stool ) , others would never feed it ( They want 32 % of the total calories to be from protein .) , others only feed raw food, others won't feed a food with grain in it like Pro Plan ,others could care less. :)

edited to keep Mr Pastor happy. :)
Last edited by Sharon on Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:05 pm

Again?

SCT

Post by SCT » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:46 pm

HaHaHa, this is just for fun right??? I'll bite... I feed different foods throughout the year and have been using Pro Plan 26/18 lately, but will be going back to 30/20 when it runs out. Just can't keep weight on my 8 month old pup even giving some raw supplement. Love the stools I get with the 30/20.

Steve

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:44 pm

SCT wrote:HaHaHa, this is just for fun right??? I'll bite... I feed different foods throughout the year and have been using Pro Plan 26/18 lately, but will be going back to 30/20 when it runs out. Just can't keep weight on my 8 month old pup even giving some raw supplement. Love the stools I get with the 30/20.

Steve
You "love the stools"?? Let's not get carried away. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

SCT

Post by SCT » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:53 pm

Haha, love 'em! I keep the best ones in a jar on the windowsill to remind me how important corn gluten is in my dogs diet :P

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:31 pm

ROFLMBO :)

SCT

Post by SCT » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:49 pm

Okay, sorry Mr. Hubbard. I jest. I actually take my dog's food very seriously, but I also try to keep it economical. I believe, from my experience, that Purina Pro Plan is a good quality food regardless of what some folks say about it negatively, and 30/20 has always been good to my dogs. They also love to eat it. It has proven itself in the tough, competitive world. It may not be the highest quality food available, but it's also almost half the cost of the highest quality foods. The best food I've used (and use it today) is Nutrisource Small to Medium Puppy which is 32/21 and is very small kibble, but I feed it to my lactating females before and after they whelp a litter. It's the only high protein/ high fat food that I don't have to worry about how much my dogs eat (besides PPP 30/20). I've used Inukshuk, Dr. Tims, and Diamond Extreme Athlete and they all caused soft stools if I over fed by a small margin. Nutrisource and PPP 30/20 are the best I've found for that price range.

Steve

AlPastor

Post by AlPastor » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:53 am

Sharon wrote:All this has been discussed fully. I highly recommend you read some of the other food threads .

"Here's one for the dog food gurus! " thread

"Figuring out the % of calories from fat, protein, and carbs." thread

I've fed it since my first dog many years ago and have been very happy with it( coat/energy level/stool ) , others would never feed it ( They want 32 % protein .) , others only feed raw food, others won't feed a food with grain in it like Pro Plan ,others could care less. :)

To be less ambiguous, we want 32% of the total calories to be from protein. Not 32% of mass.

AlPastor

Post by AlPastor » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:07 am

SCT wrote:Okay, sorry Mr. Hubbard. I jest. I actually take my dog's food very seriously, but I also try to keep it economical. I believe, from my experience, that Purina Pro Plan is a good quality food regardless of what some folks say about it negatively, and 30/20 has always been good to my dogs. They also love to eat it. It has proven itself in the tough, competitive world. It may not be the highest quality food available, but it's also almost half the cost of the highest quality foods. The best food I've used (and use it today) is Nutrisource Small to Medium Puppy which is 32/21 and is very small kibble, but I feed it to my lactating females before and after they whelp a litter. It's the only high protein/ high fat food that I don't have to worry about how much my dogs eat (besides PPP 30/20). I've used Inukshuk, Dr. Tims, and Diamond Extreme Athlete and they all caused soft stools if I over fed by a small margin. Nutrisource and PPP 30/20 are the best I've found for that price range.

Steve
Were you feeding inukshuk 32/32 or 30/25?

While almost all of the high fat foods can benefit from psyllium, I think that 32/32 almost requires it. It is a very high fat food at ~65% of calories and, in my experience, most dogs just can't handle that food without a topper that has its protein to fat calories skewed towards protein.

art hubbard

Post by art hubbard » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:16 am

SCT wrote:Okay, sorry Mr. Hubbard. I jest. I actually take my dog's food very seriously, but I also try to keep it economical. I believe, from my experience, that Purina Pro Plan is a good quality food regardless of what some folks say about it negatively, and 30/20 has always been good to my dogs. They also love to eat it. It has proven itself in the tough, competitive world. It may not be the highest quality food available, but it's also almost half the cost of the highest quality foods. The best food I've used (and use it today) is Nutrisource Small to Medium Puppy which is 32/21 and is very small kibble, but I feed it to my lactating females before and after they whelp a litter. It's the only high protein/ high fat food that I don't have to worry about how much my dogs eat (besides PPP 30/20). I've used Inukshuk, Dr. Tims, and Diamond Extreme Athlete and they all caused soft stools if I over fed by a small margin. Nutrisource and PPP 30/20 are the best I've found for that price range.

Steve
Thanks Steve, that's all I was looking for...Art

SCT

Post by SCT » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:45 am

Al, I fed 30/25 and admittedly did not give the dogs a real chance to get used to it, like recommended. I would consider it again if it were more accessible. I think it's a great food, along with the 32/32, but I don't want to buy a pallet or half pallet at a time to get the price break.

Steve

Grange

Post by Grange » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:25 am

I currently feed Pro Plan Sport to my two dogs. One is an older lab and the other is a 6 year old English setter. Both are hunting dogs and my setter is also a trial dog. I'm a big fan. It is fairly expensive, but I like to buy multiple bags when it goes on sale. I currently have 4 bags I bought for $10 off per bag though I am finishing up a bag I got from a recent trial.

Performance wise I've only found one other food that I like slightly better (Redpaw 32K), but the cost of that food kept going up every bag I bought and it got to the point it wasn't worth it. I also had a hard time feeding more than two bags in a row without temporarily switching because my setter got sick of the food.

Stools are small and firm from my dogs. My lab is about 65 lbs and she gets 1 1/3 cup twice a day. My setter is 35 lbs and gets 2/3 to 3/4 cup twice a day. Under long term high activity such as a long hunting trip amount of food may be slightly increased, but really the biggest difference is I decrease the morning feeding and increase the late feeding.

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:21 am

Steve
+1 for NutriSource. Been feeding NutriSource Adult Formula 26/16 to my Brittanys for 6 years. Dogs ( currently down to 1 dog) have done extremely well on it. My dog is a spayed female and I have to watch her weight. I tried the Performance 30/20 but started putting on weight even during hunting season. Previously I fed PPP, which is a very good food, but I personally prefer the NutriSource. Dogs coats, energy, etc. just seems to be better. Be careful not to confuse NutriSource with Nutro. Two completely different foods.
Janee's August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

NSTRA Champion Godfather's Dakota Elle 2008-2016
https://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree ... erations=5

SCT

Post by SCT » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:30 am

I've used the Nutrisource Performance 30/20 and think it is better at keeping weight on a dog than PPP 30/20. Wish I could get it at the same price as the PPP.

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:39 pm

I feed Sportsman Mix 26-18. My 40 lb Llewellin keeps his weight year around, and has plenty of energy and stamina. Stools are good.
big steve

tailcracken pointer

Post by tailcracken pointer » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:47 pm

SCT wrote:I've used the Nutrisource Performance 30/20 and think it is better at keeping weight on a dog than PPP 30/20. Wish I could get it at the same price as the PPP.
Hey SCT I see you mentioned you cant keep weight on either with the pp 30 /20 that's what I feed my two 8 month old EPs I hunt them about 3 times a week maybe 4 I have a quick trip cup that is a 32 ounce and I fill it up with pp 30 /20 once a day, and they just don't put on any weight either ? How much do you feed?