Dogs gums are extremely light

SouthernTied

Dogs gums are extremely light

Post by SouthernTied » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:54 pm

Hey. Before I spend the money at the vet I'd like some opinions. My dogs gums were this color 2 weeks ago at the vet and nothing was said by him so I'm assuming it's nothing but when your dog is constantly with you and out in the fieldyou gotta take precautions. I'm adding a pic and would like any input. Please and thanks in advance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dakotazeb

Re: Dogs gums are extremely light

Post by Dakotazeb » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:39 pm

They look pretty normal to me. When you push on the gun does it get whiter then return to the pink color when you release the pressure? Does the dog seem to be lethargic at all? Extremely light colored gums can be a sign of a low pack cell count (red blood cells). I've lost two dogs in the past 20 years to Auto Immune Hemolymic Anemia where the immune system starts destroying the red blood cells. Looking at the gums was a way of eye balling the low red cell count. But from your pic the dog's gums look quite normal.
Janee's August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

NSTRA Champion Godfather's Dakota Elle 2008-2016
https://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree ... erations=5

zrp

Post by zrp » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:47 pm

If you feel like the gums are pale, it would be worth a trip to the vet. That's a sign of anemia; aka low red blood cell numbers. It can be caused by many things, including but not limited to tick borne diseases. Anemia of any cause can be life threatening in a couch potatoe, and especially so in a dog that we may ask to run a marathon + on any given day. A simple packed cell volume should be cheap and give us an objective measure to evaluate what your eye is telling you.

SouthernTied

Post by SouthernTied » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:02 pm

He is not lethargic. Not showing any odd signs. no change in personality. I will press on them when i get home. He's only had one tick i've had to pull off. On him less than an hour. I have to take him tomorrow for a booster and i will get the vet to check it out.