Hunting Dog Training & More    

Popular Searches: Garmin Astro | Dog Collars | Tri-Tronics | SPORTdog

High protien foods and poop

High protien foods and poop

Postby Nmhuntr » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:02 am

I am feeding Victor All Life Stages which is 33% protien 16 % fat. My 3 month old eats about 1.2-2 cups per day. To me she is pooping a lot. No problems with the poop but I was thinking a quality dog food with no grain would stay with ber more. Is this common for high energy dog foods? My other dogs are low energy lap dogs so this is new territory for me.

Thanks
Greg
Nmhuntr

Re: High protien foods and poop

Postby bustingcover » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:21 am

How big is your pup it sounds like you may just be feeding too much. The dog can only use so much and the rest gets pooped out.
bustingcover

Postby ezzy333 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:07 am

Nmhuntr wrote:I am feeding Victor All Life Stages which is 33% protien 16 % fat. My 3 month old eats about 1.2-2 cups per day. To me she is pooping a lot. No problems with the poop but I was thinking a quality dog food with no grain would stay with ber more. Is this common for high energy dog foods? My other dogs are low energy lap dogs so this is new territory for me.

Thanks
Greg

I question if pooping a lot is a problem, Especially since you are just thinking maybe and not really knowing. I do know grain free is a fad and actually a harmful one since grain is an important part of a working dogs diet. Just my opinion, but I don't see that you have a problem at all.

Ezzy
ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Postby Nmhuntr » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:35 am

Thank

I was not sure if it was considered a problem with the type of food I am feeding and looks like it probbaly is not
Nmhuntr

Postby Nmhuntr » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:10 pm

bustingcover wrote:How big is your pup it sounds like you may just be feeding too much. The dog can only use so much and the rest gets pooped out.

Shenis 3 months and about 10 poinds. I feed 1.5-2 cups a day if she eats it.
Nmhuntr

Postby bustingcover » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:29 pm

Nmhuntr wrote:
bustingcover wrote:How big is your pup it sounds like you may just be feeding too much. The dog can only use so much and the rest gets pooped out.

Shenis 3 months and about 10 poinds. I feed 1.5-2 cups a day if she eats it.

2cups of that food is the recommended for a 40lb dog. Might just be a lot of food I wouldn’t worry about it
bustingcover

Postby cld22 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:16 pm

So I recently had this problem when I switched my dogs to a new food that I thought would be awesome and while they loved it and their coats looked great, good energy, the amount of poop was ridiculous. So I just had to find another one that worked for them. I don't think it has much to do with high protein or even grain free as much as how your individual dog processes the food.
cld22

Postby Nmhuntr » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:28 pm

I may try swapping food after this bag just to see. Feed another brand for a couple of bags. I dont like swapping feed on them but it is neccessary to find the right one for this dog.

Thanks
Nmhuntr

Return to Health and Nutrition