Hunting Dog Training & More    

Popular Searches: Garmin Astro | Dog Collars | Tri-Tronics | SPORTdog

Why Purina Pro Plan?

Why Purina Pro Plan?

Postby gunguy » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:46 pm

I hear a lot about how Purina Pro Plan is the "the best food for sporting dogs" and its "the food that 8 out of 10 champions eat" and so fourth. This is also the food that the breeder who I got my Lab from recommended, but why? After looking into it and its ingredients it doesn't look that good. What's all the hype about? Dog food adviser only rates it a 2.5 out 5. I am not trying to talk smack or start a fight, I am genuinely curious why this food is so popular.
gunguy

Re: Why Purina Pro Plan?

Postby MSU Aggie » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:01 pm

Pro Plan is a good food but definitely not the best, which brand is always up for debate. It is a good balance between cost and quality, not to mention consistency. Very few recalls .Purina has also spent a lot of money on marketing and sponsorship deals which is why so many breeders and competitors use it. I feed it and have good luck with it, so just my 2 cents.
MSU Aggie

Postby slistoe » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:52 pm

gunguy wrote:I am genuinely curious why this food is so popular.

Because it gets reszults in the dogs it is fed too. Feeding dogs is not a label reading thought exercise.
slistoe
GDF Junkie

Postby Carolina Gundogs » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:27 pm

I wouldn’t put too much faith in the dog food advisor’s rating. It’s fairly easy to put up a website and give yourself a title for a name. Amen

Ezzy
Carolina Gundogs

Postby bustingcover » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:58 pm

It’s consistent and they support sporting dogs
bustingcover

Postby dog dr » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:21 pm

we just started feeding it bout a year ago. Adult dogs are doing well, but the best thing is our puppies have much firmer stool and much LESS of it!
dog dr

Postby Robbw » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:15 pm

Because they have all the big corporate dollars to advertise and sponsor.
Robbw

Postby shags » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:07 pm

If the owners, trainers, handlers of all these top-winning or prospectively winning dogs thought there was anything better, then they'd be feeding that stuff instead. They go for what works and produces results.
shags
GDF Junkie

Postby ezzy333 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:14 pm

Robbw wrote:Because they have all the big corporate dollars to advertise and sponsor.

I would like to think most of us are smart enough to judge the quality by the results on our dogs and not just because of and ad that by the way all companies do.
ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Postby Robbw » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:27 am

I'm not sure if Purina Pro Plan is the best food on the market for sport dogs or any other dogs. Maybe a few of you do believe that. I understand that Ezzy had a long career in the dog food industry so he is well placed to give a learned opinion. And there is no doubt that numerous top dogs are being fed that food. But to deny that the big marketing and big money campaign goes a long way to get them the name and popularity is naive at best.
Robbw

Postby ezzy333 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:56 am

Robbw wrote:I'm not sure if Purina Pro Plan is the best food on the market for sport dogs or any other dogs. Maybe a few of you do believe that. I understand that Ezzy had a long career in the dog food industry so he is well placed to give a learned opinion. And there is no doubt that numerous top dogs are being fed that food. But to deny that the big marketing and big money campaign goes a long way to get them the name and popularity is naive at best.

Don't take wrong, I understand the importance of marketing that produces name recognition. I am saying that hopefully that is not the only reason we try a feed and keep using it when other feeds may be doing a better job.

Ezzy
ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Postby slistoe » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:58 pm

Robbw wrote:I'm not sure if Purina Pro Plan is the best food on the market for sport dogs or any other dogs. Maybe a few of you do believe that. I understand that Ezzy had a long career in the dog food industry so he is well placed to give a learned opinion. And there is no doubt that numerous top dogs are being fed that food. But to deny that the big marketing and big money campaign goes a long way to get them the name and popularity is naive at best.

Most certainly folks will tend to buy from a name that is recognizeable and supports the events in which they participate - that is why all companies do sponsorships and advertising. But when you are vested in winning, you will not feed a food that does not give the results you need, regardless of what kind of advertising they do. Without results, the intro into the market is rather meaningless.

That is not to say that there aren't a bunch of foods that can give the same performance as pro-plan. But you will never find that out reading dogfoodadvisor or the such.
slistoe
GDF Junkie

Postby Pedro » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:26 pm

There is no one food "Best for Sporting Dogs". Gross generalization.
I feed pro plan because my dogs do well on it
I like collecting the cute weight circles and getting checks
A lot of pro's horse trailers are stacked to the roof with it, so it's gotta be good
Sometimes when you win a Championship you get a bunch of purple bags
Generally, on the chain gang, my dogs poops are prettier than my buddies dogs poops

I've fed many different feeds over the years. Your dog is your best "Dog Food Adviser"
Pedro

Postby gunguy » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:35 pm

Carolina Gundogs wrote:I wouldn’t put too much faith in the dog food advisor’s rating. It’s fairly easy to put up a website and give yourself a title for a name. Amen
Ezzy

I don't discount that one bit. That is the reason I am posing the question in the first place. You can't trust everything you read on the internet!
gunguy

Postby gunguy » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:37 pm

dog dr wrote:we just started feeding it bout a year ago. Adult dogs are doing well, but the best thing is our puppies have much firmer stool and much LESS of it!

I could use less stool in my yard. It only takes a day to become a mine field.
gunguy

Postby art hubbard » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:05 pm

I feed pro plan "Salmon and Rice" could not be more pleased with the results, dogs condition, small firm stools and feed less than other brands I have fed over many years of caring for many dogs.
art hubbard

Postby EAM » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:38 am

The kennel I got my pup from fed proplan sport salmon and rice, the breeder was a vet, ran competition dogs, said he had studied dog food extensivly, and used it on dogs in his kennel as well as at the vet.
EAM

Postby BuckeyeSteve » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:37 pm

Carolina Gundogs wrote:I wouldn’t put too much faith in the dog food advisor’s rating. It’s fairly easy to put up a website and give yourself a title for a name.

Amen

Ezzy

I agree.... hence the existence of "citizen's united".... but concerning dog food, dogfoodadvisor is amazing. If you take the time to read their reviews and descriptions of ingredients, it's astounding the amount of info they give. The website may not support what anyone wants to hear, but the info is top notch. Unfortunately, the "you get what you pay for" rule is generally in affect. The best reviewed dog foods are generally expensive ones. Some expensive foods don't review well, though. The site doesn't take any money from dog food companies for their reviews. I think it's a great site, IMHO.
BuckeyeSteve

Postby ezzy333 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:47 pm

BuckeyeSteve wrote:
Carolina Gundogs wrote:I wouldn’t put too much faith in the dog food advisor’s rating. It’s fairly easy to put up a website and give yourself a title for a name.

Amen

Ezzy

I agree.... hence the existence of "citizen's united".... but concerning dog food, dogfoodadvisor is amazing. If you take the time to read their reviews and descriptions of ingredients, it's astounding the amount of info they give. The website may not support what anyone wants to hear, but the info is top notch. Unfortunately, the "you get what you pay for" rule is generally in affect. The best reviewed dog foods are generally expensive ones. Some expensive foods don't review well, though. The site doesn't take any money from dog food companies for their reviews. I think it's a great site, IMHO.

There is little accurate info about the feeds on his site. He just publishes his opinions and he know little about nutrition.
ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Postby shags » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:32 am

The guy is a dentist, not a canine nutritionist.
shags
GDF Junkie

Postby cjhills » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:51 am

Why do you think Purina puts the pull tape to open the bag on the bottom of the bag...…………….Cj
cjhills
GDF Junkie

Postby nanney1 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:48 am

There was a trend a few years ago among show people with coated breeds to feed a combination of Pro Plan Performance mixed half and half with Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Stomach Salmon and Rice. The Labrador show crowd seemed to prefer the Pro Plan original Chicken and Rice formula. It was discontinued for a short time and apparently due to the efforts of the Lab breeders, it was brought back as All Life Stages 26/16 Chicken formula. However, most top show folks seem to feed PP Performance. But not everyone. some feed Eukanuba/Iams or some other brand. Some Lab and English Bulldog show people feed regular Purina Dog Chow. Some friends of mine that still show feed Nutro.

The regular show folks are on the road every weekend and there is always a Pro Plan vendor at every show. You can always get the food you want without having to drive somewhere and hope they have the formula you like in stock. Pro Plan seems to digest well and and dogs have regular formed stools. When you are on the road with several dogs of different breeds, body types and coats, having one food that works well is a must. Especially, when you've got to take out all these dogs for walks and potty on leash.
nanney1

Return to Health and Nutrition