Finally no more prolific ear infection (my Brit)

Spotshooter

Finally no more prolific ear infection (my Brit)

Post by Spotshooter » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:42 am

I’ll tell you what, I never thought that corn, rice, and chicken in dog food was such a problem.

I was feeding pro-plan, even went to sensitive skin fish type and he still had issues.

I got a bag of blue diamond grain free (no corn, rice,or chicken) - and wow... 3 days later the dog is what he should be.

A nose with a Roman candle up his butt... Now that I have my dog back..

WHY doesn’t Pro plan have a potatoes, and Peas based no grain dog food like the others.... DANG...

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Finally no more prolific ear infection (my Brit)

Post by Sharon » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:20 pm

Glad is has worked out for you. I've fed mine Pro Plan for many years with no problems.As has been said often on here, every dog is different in a variety of ways.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:50 pm

Was that food Blue Diamond or Blue Buffalo grain free? Never heard of Blue Diamond.
What is the protein used in the new food?

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:32 pm

I do would be interested in hearing exactly what food you have switched to as I have an Brittany with allergies. I'm not sure the grain free limited ingredient food she is getting now is solving the problem. Like someone else said, every dog has a particular food they seem to do better on. I saw a recent post elsewhere from a person that had been battling allergies with their dog for years. They had tried many grain free foods from various manufactures and non seemed to work. In fact one grain free food made the dog so sick they almost lost it. They then put the dog and ProPlan Sport and no more problems. Go figure?
Janee's August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

NSTRA Champion Godfather's Dakota Elle 2008-2016
https://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree ... erations=5

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:48 am

You need to remember that 99% of food allergies are the result of a protein source and not a carb such as grain. Food allergies are very rare in dogs and when you realize a minute portion of those are grain it almost eliminates that possibility. Allergies are hard and expensive to track down but usually it is found that there is something in the dogs environment that is really the cause.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:25 pm

Certainly true in the case of one of my dog's situation. Itchy , red armpits, belly only from June to the first frost. Antihistamine helps a lot. Vet said those symptoms are often from the oily residue on new grass.

( Interestingly enough, I also have hand dermatitis,( itch to drive you crazy) from June to the first frost. :) )
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Spotshooter

Post by Spotshooter » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:39 pm

Sorry I should have come back earlier..

I had tried beef / chicken / and finally fish pro plan... fish was the best in terms of ear infections but they were still too much.

I now am feeding Blue Buffalo Basics limited ingredient grain free formula, Lamb and potato.

It took about a week for his ears to clear up, I had to use the purple stuff, and hit it with an Anti-biotic for 3 days to finally kill it off - but he’s not had any ear problems for 3weeks now... Wow what a difference - he’s almost like a new dog.
Keep in mind he has had 2 bad ear infections a month that ran multiple days for almost 1.5 years (dog is 3 years old).

He nose got better as well - he’s a really good bird dog, can’t wait for this year.

So tan/ yellow background bag with Green on it - Blue buffalo brand, Basics limited Grain free formula...

It worked for us, best hopes for you folks with the same issues.

Spot