Broken foot

shags
GDF Junkie

Broken foot

Post by shags » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:29 am

End of April dog's foot was stepped on by a horse, resulting in a crush fracture of the second toe from the outside of the rear leg. The fracture was at the proximal end of the tarsal bone, so right where foot bends to join the leg. The fracture was only at the top surface of the bone, not all the through.

No surgery or casting, and the dog could use the foot around the house and dog yard.

Finally got the all clear from the vet to start running him, and we're working out how much, how far, and all that.

Anyone been here, done this? How long did it take to get back to normal and full activity?

MGIII

Broken foot

Post by MGIII » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:01 pm

Pup broke her leg on the chain link fence. She wore a cast for a few weeks. Didn’t affect her after that. She flies when she’s running. Keeping them from chewing the cast was the hardest part along with trying to keep her from running around with the cast on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Broken foot

Post by shags » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:18 pm

Thanks for your reply.

Poor pup! Glad she healed up and is doing well.

So after the cast was off, did you just turn her loose to go full tilt, or did you have a rehab sort of schedule? My dog is used to 4-8 miles almost every day, but I'm sure he'll need to build back up to that. I'm interested in pushing enough to make progress but not enough to set him back, and wondering about how others managed.

MGIII

Broken foot

Post by MGIII » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:46 pm

Kinda eased her back into it however it was difficult to manage. She wanted to go balls to the wall ASAP. Her registered name is K Nine’s Desert Eagle because she flies!! Your dog will be fine. Just don’t rush anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reba

Post by reba » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:17 am

Twice as long as you my think,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Taneka143

Post by Taneka143 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:39 am

Is anyone have tried giving Marijuana to their pets for Medical purposes? I have read many articles about medical marijuana and how it can help them in terms of chronic pain, bone injuries, eating disorder, inflammation, and a lot more. Like this article about a marijuana strain from blimburnseeds.com/masa-critika-critical-mass. Alternatively, they've also found new ways to infuse cannabis on food and beverages. I still haven't done this yet. If this is true I can't find any solid conclusive evidence that speaks to its efficacy. Any personal experience or testimonial would be highly appreciated. Thanks

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:11 pm

Never done that . I don't give anything without talking to the vet first.

One thing to remember about marijuana (THC) is that it affects everyone differently. Unfortunately, this is not talked about much. As it becomes legal in Canada on Oct. 17, I would bet there will be more examples/discussions about bad side effects. I assume it would also affect every animal differently. I worked at the jail for 20 years and saw the effects of many drugs. Some have no reaction at all to THC ; some got paranoia for years.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett