Goofy GSP?

reba

Goofy GSP?

Post by reba » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:11 pm

One of my GSP's (Dutch) was 10 years old in November of 2018.

About 10 days ago I noticed Dutch wasn't doing well, tucked tail, shaking etc.

Got him to the Vets that morning. I have been using this Vet for 25 years. She is the best there is and knows Dutch well.

Many test were performed including blood and x-rays.

Dutch did not and does not have a fever and is eating and drinking normal. Poops and pees are normal.

It has been 10 days since a visit to the Vets. I have been in telephone contact with the Vet.

He is now often pacing in circles while in the house then finally lays down. He often is shivering so I cover him with a blanket. He likes that.

Dutch is just plain acting GOOFY.

Any insight to Dutch's problem?

Dutch is my first GSP and have not experienced an aging GSP.

Thank you.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Goofy GSP?

Post by Sharon » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:18 pm

Did the vet mention a neurological problem ? My 13 year old setter is exhibiting similar behaviours and my vet thinks it is a neurological problem - CNS screwup/ brain tumor etc.. Only an MRI can actually diagnose a CNS problem which I can't afford and there would be no fix for it anyways.
NOT to say this is your dog's problem, but you asked for what we thought . PM sent on pain meds that work for my dog.

edit : also see Shags post
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:00 pm

Pacing and shivering can be signs of pain. Did your vet put Dutch on any pain relief? If not, maybe you can try it. My dogs have had an injection for fast acting relief, followed by tablets at home.

Good luck to Dutch, I hope you find an answer and a fix for whatever is bothering him.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:24 am

shags wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:00 pm
Pacing and shivering can be signs of pain. Did your vet put Dutch on any pain relief? If not, maybe you can try it. My dogs have had an injection for fast acting relief, followed by tablets at home.
This is worth a try. What kind of arthritis medicine is your dog on? If you were in some level of pain or definite discomfort and didn't know what it was, you'd be confused and disconcerted too if you had no answer. Acting oddly is not a symptom of being 10 years old (though dogs can vary) but it is a symptom of something happening. If she's passed all tests, treating for non-testable pain is a reasonable next step. Try Previcox or similar.

reba

Post by reba » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:56 am

Thanks for your replies.

Last night after Dutch's meal of 3 cups of kibble I gave him the proper dose of Vet prescribed Metacam for pain.

This morning he seems a little better.

I need to drive into town this morning, so I'll take him for a ride. He loves to ride in a back seat. Maybe the ride will cheer him up a bit.

Thanks

CWT

Post by CWT » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:08 am

I had a Welsh terrier that was about 15 years old and started doing that. My Vet thought he was having small strokes.

mavrick8019

Post by mavrick8019 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:56 pm

Our dog had the same issues with heavy breathing and turning in circles. We took her the the Vet and they said it was an advanced case of Lyme's D. She lost the use of her back legs and we had to put her down she was 19 years old. There was no warning she had this. We came back from camping and it happened that night.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:35 pm

Steve007 wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:24 am
[Acting oddly is not a symptom of being 10 years old (though dogs can vary)
Two previous posters are (or might be) causing the OP unreasonable worry to the point of trauma through irrelevant posts. Ten years of age is neither 15 nor 19, and complete vet examination and tests have been done.

reba

Post by reba » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:09 am

Dutch is making improvements. Not 100% but better every day. We still don't know the cause.

reba

Post by reba » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:29 am

Happy to report that Dutch is 99.9%.

We never figured out what was wrong with him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:28 am

Anal glands???

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:20 am

reba wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:29 am
Happy to report that Dutch is 99.9%.

We never figured out what was wrong with him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Did he improve on his own? Did you continue giving him pain medication (it takes a while to be cumulative), and do you feel that was a factor?

Dog Dr. certainly has credentials, and it would be worth monitoring this on an ongoing basis in the future.

reba

Post by reba » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:03 am

It may have been from wild mushrooms. but that is just a guess.

He seems to be 100% this morning.

ON Honker Hunter

Post by ON Honker Hunter » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:15 pm

There is an "old dog's disease" that my late Pearl was at first suspected of having. Gad, I'm pressed to remember the name right now. Vestibular disease. It can manifest itself three different ways. The first is a mysterious temporary condition with unclear cause that usually goes away on its own in about 24-72 hours. They often act like they're having a stroke (which is extremely rare in dogs by the way) = stumbling, loss of balance, etc. The second is due to inner ear infection (we humans know about that). The third is something serious has happened in the brain. They ruled out #1 and #2 with Pearl. A trip down to U of Minnesota and MRI revealed a glioma brain tumor. "Take her home and help let her die when it's time." Two days after we were home something happened in the night. Next morning she was up and walking just fine (head slightly cocked for just a few hours). Neurologist said it was steroids that reduced the swelling and I should expect regression shortly. Well, it never happened! After three weeks I called him again. Decided what the heck, start her on chemo and give her a chance at a bit more life (dog chemo is much different than human version). Long story short, I took her back down there for another MRI in October before going to Montana for annual pheasant hunting. It showed that the big tumor had all but disappeared! No one can explain it. Pearl recovered 100% which is quite unheard of for that kind of cancer. She had a great hunting season that year. Unfortunately, kidney disease took her out less than two years later at age ten.

reba

Post by reba » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:13 am

Thanks for sharing Pear's story.

I heard on the local news that several dogs have died in the county I live in from eating wild mushrooms.

reba

Post by reba » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:23 pm

Dutch was well on the way to a full recovery.

Today he turned much worse in a matter of hours.

Most notable is extremely droopy bottom eye lids.

Temperature is now 102.4