Best Puppy food for a GSP

Post Reply
mavrick8019
Rank: Just A Pup
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:52 pm

Best Puppy food for a GSP

Post by mavrick8019 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:34 pm

I have a 3 month old GSP. I have been told to feed him high protein puppy food. I train him 45 minutes twice a day. The question I have; I bought some high protein puppy food 22% protein and 12% fat. Over the weekend he has had diarrhea. I stopped feeding him today and he seams to be a little better. What is every bodies recommendation.

mnaj_springer
Rank: 5X Champion
Posts: 1247
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:10 pm
Location: Northern Minnesota

Re: Best Puppy food for a GSP

Post by mnaj_springer » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:26 pm

I feed Purina Pro Plan Sport 30/20 all year to all stages (other than retired old dogs). But what did the breeder feed? Are you feeding the same or did you make a sudden switch?

You'll get a ton of different recommendations for specific food, and there are more qualified people to answer this particular question than I, but not all dogs are the same. I use PPP Sport because it works for my dogs. If it didn't I would look for something else.

Also, when you say you're training for 45 minutes, what exactly do you mean? Most pups that age can only be trained for 5-10 minutes.
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

art hubbard
Rank: Senior Hunter
Posts: 195
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:57 pm
Location: idaho

Re: Best Puppy food for a GSP

Post by art hubbard » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:04 pm

pro plan 30-20. I feed the salmon & rice. great food.

User avatar
Sharon
GDF Junkie
Posts: 8255
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 4:46 pm
Location: Ontario,Canada

Re: Best Puppy food for a GSP

Post by Sharon » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:36 pm

X2
I would bet bet as mnaj_springer said that you made the switch too fast.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote

cjhills
GDF Junkie
Posts: 2088
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:37 am
Location: aitkin,mn

Re: Best Puppy food for a GSP

Post by cjhills » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:06 pm

I feed PPP puppy I like a little lower protein because I don't want real fast growth.
I would try feeding les food until the diarrhea goes away......Cj

birddogger2
Rank: Champion
Posts: 311
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:15 am
Location: Lower slower Delaware

Re: Best Puppy food for a GSP

Post by birddogger2 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:15 pm

Every puppy I have ever had, has been fed a 30/20 puppy diet.
I have had no problems.

When I had a litter I ground up the kibble in a blender and fed it to the pups(and momma) mixed into warm water along with a healthy dollop of Whole milk(4% fat) cottage cheese. I did it this way to minimize throwing away of stale or sour food since I could mix up a batch of feed in seconds from the powdered kibble.

I generally buy one bag of puppy food per pup. When it is done the dog(which is somewhere around 6-8 months old) goes on an adult ration which is typically also 30/20. Again never had a problem.

In recent years I have been feeding a 26/18 ration and the dogs do quite well on it.

If I only had one dog, I would undoubtedly feed it Pro Plan Performance. It is an EXTREMELY well balanced, consistent and well researched ration that is specifically formulated for performance dogs. IMO it is the gold standard for bird dog feeds.

I suspect your pup had a relatively normal reaction to a major change in food and that it will go away fairly quickly as the dog acclimates to the new food.

Oh and I also free feed my dogs. The only ones that ever got a little heavy because of it were the two I had spayed, and they didn't get really heavy, just kinda chunky. They ran and hunted just fine. All the rest kind of self regulated.

RayG

averageguy
Rank: 4X Champion
Posts: 636
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:07 am

Re: Best Puppy food for a GSP

Post by averageguy » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:44 am


User avatar
MGIII
Rank: Champion
Posts: 350
Joined: Sat May 03, 2014 9:22 am
Location: Chandler, AZ

Re: Best Puppy food for a GSP

Post by MGIII » Tue May 07, 2019 6:23 pm

I stopped using PPP 30/20 because I kept getting bags with worms in them.
I switched to Kinetic Dog Food and my dogs seem to be doing great on it. A few of my other friends made the switch and are happy. I order from chewy.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

birddogger2
Rank: Champion
Posts: 311
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:15 am
Location: Lower slower Delaware

Re: Best Puppy food for a GSP

Post by birddogger2 » Wed May 08, 2019 5:38 am

MGIII wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 6:23 pm
I stopped using PPP 30/20 because I kept getting bags with worms in them.
I switched to Kinetic Dog Food and my dogs seem to be doing great on it. A few of my other friends made the switch and are happy. I order from chewy.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Never heard of that. I have never had worms in any dogfood I used and have had multiple brands over the years. I strongly suspect it was a supplier or retailer storage issue(or possibly how you were storing it) and not something the manufacturer was responsible for. I have had stuff get wet and get moldy, but never wormy.

I have no idea what is in Kinetic dog food but if it works for your dogs...great.

RayG

cjhills
GDF Junkie
Posts: 2088
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:37 am
Location: aitkin,mn

Re: Best Puppy food for a GSP

Post by cjhills » Wed May 08, 2019 6:45 am

As Ray Says there is no way you got dog food with worms in it from the from the manufacturer no matter who made it. Especially more than once. I had bag of Diamond it my feed room for 18 months. I finally mixed it in and fed it .It looked as good as the day I bought it. Maybe Lost some Nutrition but who knows. Cj

User avatar
MGIII
Rank: Champion
Posts: 350
Joined: Sat May 03, 2014 9:22 am
Location: Chandler, AZ

Re: Best Puppy food for a GSP

Post by MGIII » Wed May 08, 2019 3:24 pm

birddogger2 wrote:
MGIII wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 6:23 pm
I stopped using PPP 30/20 because I kept getting bags with worms in them.
I switched to Kinetic Dog Food and my dogs seem to be doing great on it. A few of my other friends made the switch and are happy. I order from chewy.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Never heard of that. I have never had worms in any dogfood I used and have had multiple brands over the years. I strongly suspect it was a supplier or retailer storage issue(or possibly how you were storing it) and not something the manufacturer was responsible for. I have had stuff get wet and get moldy, but never wormy.

I have no idea what is in Kinetic dog food but if it works for your dogs...great.

RayG

I’m gonna tell you that I’m not the only one in the area that had these issues. We went to multiple stores to buy the food and opened the food at the stores to verify the issue. Sure enough worms in almost all the bags. I can bet it was the supplier but it happened enough that I was sick of dealing with it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cjhills
GDF Junkie
Posts: 2088
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:37 am
Location: aitkin,mn

Re: Best Puppy food for a GSP

Post by cjhills » Wed May 08, 2019 4:16 pm

Were these live worms and did the stores try to find out why there was worms in their food......Cj

User avatar
MGIII
Rank: Champion
Posts: 350
Joined: Sat May 03, 2014 9:22 am
Location: Chandler, AZ

Re: Best Puppy food for a GSP

Post by MGIII » Wed May 08, 2019 6:26 pm

cjhills wrote:Were these live worms and did the stores try to find out why there was worms in their food......Cj

Yes the worms were alive and the stores didn’t have answers. purina just gave coupons and didn’t give us any answers.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
DonF
GDF Junkie
Posts: 3776
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:09 pm
Location: Antelope, Ore

Re: Best Puppy food for a GSP

Post by DonF » Fri May 10, 2019 11:29 am

I got a bag of Purina Hi Pro years ago that had a dead dryed out mouse in it. Contacted Purina and they sent me a coupon for a new bag of food. Never used that coupon and never used Purina again. But as I think abut it, what else could they do? How mny millions of dog's have lived healthy lives on Purina foods?

Your pup got the drizzle's, you did a sudden food change. Half and half for several days before turning over. As far as all these custom food's out here, I've used several of them and saw no difference in the dog's at all. Marketing leads people to believe they actually are better, even needed, but I don't buy that for one second. None of the premium foods have anywhere near the track record even old Purina dog chow has. As for puppy's, mine eat the same thing adult's eat and have always done fine. I only ever found one food that the dog's didn't do well on, lost their energy to quick. Came from American Nutrition in Salt Lake City. One food I'd say they did best on was Kennel Ration Biscuit. Baked food, mix with other food and the dogs would all pick out the biscuit and leave the rest. Bottom line for me on food is the dog's have to eat it! I don't have to pay $50 for a 30# bag of food to get there.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Pedro
Rank: Junior Hunter
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:11 pm
Location: Kansas

Re: Best Puppy food for a GSP

Post by Pedro » Fri May 10, 2019 2:14 pm

I've been in the grain business for 38 years and the companies I am or have been associated with have traded millions of lb's and bushels of grains, byproducts, and feed ingredients to most of the major pet food manufacturers. I can't tell you which food is the best for your pet, but I can assure you that the quality control process at these plants, and the amount of testing on inbound ingredients, have become exponentially more stringent during this time period.

There is always going to be a story of a bag of dog food with worms, or a dead rat, or soured food. But in my experience all the major manufacturers turn out a quality product, or they wouldn't be in business. I've been feeding bird dogs for 42 years, and in that time have primarily fed 3 manufacturers. Diamond, IAMS, and currently Pro Plan for last 15+ years. I guess I've been lucky that in all those years I've never had to return a single bag of dog food. Not 1, from any of those manufacturers.

There are 4 to 6 bird dogs in my kennels at any one time, currently 5 between the ages of 6 months and 11 y/o, they all eat the same food, they're all healthy, have good stools and plenty of energy. I'm sure they'd be fine on Blue Buffalo, Hills, Diamond, or Ole Roy. My son feeds Kirkland to his two britts and they look great. I guess other than having to take care of a dog with food alergies or such, I really don't understand why people stress so much about this subject. It's really not that complicated, feed a bag of food, if your dog does well on it...continue, if not, change. The stuff I worry about is more along the line of snares, conibears, barbed wire, wild horses, snakes, cars/trucks, old wells, lost dogs, sand burrs, lack of birds, too many birds (in TX once), and all the other stuff that goes with turning a dog loose in bird country.

I must be bored...c'mon bird season.

User avatar
DonF
GDF Junkie
Posts: 3776
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:09 pm
Location: Antelope, Ore

Re: Best Puppy food for a GSP

Post by DonF » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:39 am

Pedro wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 2:14 pm
I've been in the grain business for 38 years and the companies I am or have been associated with have traded millions of lb's and bushels of grains, byproducts, and feed ingredients to most of the major pet food manufacturers. I can't tell you which food is the best for your pet, but I can assure you that the quality control process at these plants, and the amount of testing on inbound ingredients, have become exponentially more stringent during this time period.

There is always going to be a story of a bag of dog food with worms, or a dead rat, or soured food. But in my experience all the major manufacturers turn out a quality product, or they wouldn't be in business. I've been feeding bird dogs for 42 years, and in that time have primarily fed 3 manufacturers. Diamond, IAMS, and currently Pro Plan for last 15+ years. I guess I've been lucky that in all those years I've never had to return a single bag of dog food. Not 1, from any of those manufacturers.

There are 4 to 6 bird dogs in my kennels at any one time, currently 5 between the ages of 6 months and 11 y/o, they all eat the same food, they're all healthy, have good stools and plenty of energy. I'm sure they'd be fine on Blue Buffalo, Hills, Diamond, or Ole Roy. My son feeds Kirkland to his two britts and they look great. I guess other than having to take care of a dog with food alergies or such, I really don't understand why people stress so much about this subject. It's really not that complicated, feed a bag of food, if your dog does well on it...continue, if not, change. The stuff I worry about is more along the line of snares, conibears, barbed wire, wild horses, snakes, cars/trucks, old wells, lost dogs, sand burrs, lack of birds, too many birds (in TX once), and all the other stuff that goes with turning a dog loose in bird country.

I must be bored...c'mon bird season.
Thanks for making perfectly good sense and leaving me nothing to belly ache about! :mrgreen:
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

hawkeye680
Rank: Just A Pup
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:33 am

Re: Best Puppy food for a GSP

Post by hawkeye680 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:01 am

How much of the PPP Sport are you feeding growing puppies? I have a 11 week old and I am trying to make sure he gets what he needs.

The weight chart on the bag- does it take into account that the puppy is growing or are the weights for the final, adult weight?

birddogger2
Rank: Champion
Posts: 311
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:15 am
Location: Lower slower Delaware

Re: Best Puppy food for a GSP

Post by birddogger2 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:44 am

hawkeye680 wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:01 am
How much of the PPP Sport are you feeding growing puppies? I have a 11 week old and I am trying to make sure he gets what he needs.

The weight chart on the bag- does it take into account that the puppy is growing or are the weights for the final, adult weight?
Hawkeye-

I pay no attention whatever to the feeding schedules on any bag of dogfood. They are, at best, general guidelines only.

I look at the dog and that tells me all I need to know about how much food to put in the bowl. If the puppy has ribs sticking out, it needs more feed. If you can't see or feel a rib and the pup is waddling around...it needs less. Keep in mind that a puppy grows in spurts. it will fatten up and then have a shot of growth and slim right down with the cycle repeating itself until the pup is at or near its adult height and weight.

FWIW I have all my dogs on self feeders, pretty much from the time they are 6 months old. They do just fine. They are all outside dogs and eat what they need. I have had spayed females who got a little chunky, due, I believe to the side effects of spaying, but they still ran and hunted just fine as well, including in front of a horse at field trials. One got her FC in all age stakes long after she was spayed, so she could still run a pretty fair lick, even if she was a little on the heavy side.

If you are keeping your puppy indoors, and you only have one dog, I would feed it enough so that there is usually a little bit left in the bowl when the pup walks away.

RayG

Post Reply