Brittany Spaniel-Fuzzy Hair Coat

Baileysmom

Brittany Spaniel-Fuzzy Hair Coat

Post by Baileysmom » Mon May 01, 2023 3:14 pm

Anyone ever have a Brittany Spaniel with areas of, well, "frizzly fur" before? He's 16 months old. On the same diet as always. Noticed he was starting to get areas of fuzzy, longer fur 2 months ago. Tried brushing him a little more, it hasn't changed anything, he doesn't shed when I do and I use a Furminator, the skin looks great, he's super bouncy, happy, full of it. Is this his "big boy" fur? His coat was a little shorter before this spring, and always nice and shiny.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Re: Brittany Spaniel-Fuzzy Hair Coat

Post by cjhills » Mon May 01, 2023 5:42 pm

Might be old Fur he hasn't shed out yet.........Cj

Baileysmom

Post by Baileysmom » Tue May 02, 2023 7:26 am

Oh thanks, it's been 30 years since our last Brittany, haven't had anything but Labradors since. They've all had super short glossy coats except for the Chocolate when she was older, she developed hypothyroidism. So this scared me a little. Her "fuzz" came out super easy when brushed and was all over the body, this is just on his sides, but a new weird development for me.

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Tue May 02, 2023 1:12 pm

Brittany's coats do vary from one dog to the next. Sometimes it's in the breeding. My last two have had short flat coats but the two before were a little more wooly. BTW, the AKC took the name "Spaniel" out of the Brittany's name in 1982. Now it's just Brittany, or maybe American Brittany or French Brittany.
Janee's August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

NSTRA Champion Godfather's Dakota Elle 2008-2016
https://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree ... erations=5

marysburg

Post by marysburg » Sun May 14, 2023 8:38 pm

I have heard of the development of fuzzy haircoats in neutered or spayed dogs. All 3 of our Brittanies were spayed at 16 to 18 months of age, and two of them went from having flat, hard coats to fuzzballs. The other one kept her normal coat of hair. We have had 3 Springers, a GSP and a Lab and Golden Retriever. All of them had normal haircoats. I think a groomer might have an insight here, as they see so many dogs.

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Mon May 15, 2023 6:46 am

marysburg wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 8:38 pm
I have heard of the development of fuzzy haircoats in neutered or spayed dogs. All 3 of our Brittanies were spayed at 16 to 18 months of age, and two of them went from having flat, hard coats to fuzzballs. The other one kept her normal coat of hair. We have had 3 Springers, a GSP and a Lab and Golden Retriever. All of them had normal haircoats. I think a groomer might have an insight here, as they see so many dogs.
All my females have been spayed and I've never seen any change in their coats. In fact, I've never heard of spaying effecting dogs coats.
Janee's August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

NSTRA Champion Godfather's Dakota Elle 2008-2016
https://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree ... erations=5

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Mon May 15, 2023 12:07 pm

Dakotazeb wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 6:46 am
All my females have been spayed and I've never seen any change in their coats. In fact, I've never heard of spaying effecting dogs coats.
Cannot speak for Brittanys, but there are quite a few people who say it does in wirehairs.

mkm

Post by mkm » Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:33 pm

Baileysmom wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 3:14 pm
Anyone ever have a Brittany Spaniel with areas of, well, "frizzly fur" before? He's 16 months old. On the same diet as always. Noticed he was starting to get areas of fuzzy, longer fur 2 months ago. Tried brushing him a little more, it hasn't changed anything, he doesn't shed when I do and I use a Furminator, the skin looks great, he's super bouncy, happy, full of it. Is this his "big boy" fur? His coat was a little shorter before this spring, and always nice and shiny.
My Brittney's fur is the same, just on the sides. Vet said he didn't shed. Did your dogs coat get any better?