Black Gold

birdogg42

Black Gold

Post by birdogg42 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:39 pm

Does anyone feed it??? If so Which blend, and do you like it. My brother in law and i are thinking about switching, because our feed is getting more expensive and It is a 35 mi drive one way. Thanks alot Mike

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:14 pm

We have been on it for a couple of weeks and like it so far. We are feeding the black bag, and would like to try the Ultimate or Plantation Blend but are currently trying to get them to get it for us, as the ingredients look better.
brenda

Birdhunter1

Post by Birdhunter1 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:37 pm

Birddog where are you in SE MO?
A buddy of mine and I have been feeding Black Gold black bag for about the last 3 years and we have been very happy. Bucheitt's stores carry it but we get ours wholesale from a distributor since we use so much of it. I think the same place we get ours will sell it by the bag if you go to their place.

Ridgeviewer

Post by Ridgeviewer » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:10 pm

I have fed the Black Gold Black Bag. My 2 setters do quite well on it. Recently I switched to Black Gold Ultimate Performance for winter. The dogs are doing very well, and seem to prefer the U.P. over the Black Bag. This is based on how quickly they chow it down, and they don't seem to raise their head out of the bowl until it is gone. This is completely new behavior for my female.
I think you'll like Black Gold results, and the price is good.
Ridge

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:16 pm

I like it I feed three dogs Blackgold. My 2 shorthairs I feed the Ultimate Performance, and my wife's lab gets the Lamb and rice. I have been feeding it for about a year and a half, no problems as of yet.

Chip 8)

birdogg42

Post by birdogg42 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:52 pm

Bird hunter, i live 10 min south of cape girardeau mo. I would like to get it from a wholesaler. My brother in law and i go through quite a bit of feed. Thanks for the responses

luke0927

Post by luke0927 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:44 pm

i switched from Blackwood to Black Gold Plantation blend feeding about 3 cups aday just like when i was on blackwood and my dogs look just as good, stools look good and they love it too....i get 50lbs for $25 i was pay $30 for 40lbs of blackwood (i was gettign a deal) then the prices went up on that.....

cancrkkennels

Post by cancrkkennels » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:03 pm

I feed all my dogs on self feeders on black gold (black bag) they make about 5 different blends.

Birdhunter1

Post by Birdhunter1 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:23 pm

birdogg42 wrote:Bird hunter, i live 10 min south of cape girardeau mo. I would like to get it from a wholesaler. My brother in law and i go through quite a bit of feed. Thanks for the responses
K&L Repair in Farrarr, MO is the distributor, by the pallet they will sell it wholesale. You can also get it at Bucheitt's in Jackson by the pallet at maybe $1 more a bag than at Farrarr.
We get our's at Farrarr but we also get 2-3 pallets at a time.
Do you ever hunt in Illinois?

birdogg42

Post by birdogg42 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:16 pm

I have hunted at a few game preserves to work young dogs. I am planning to go to Hurst IL after season is out to a guy that i bought a pup from and work this you male i got.

Birdhunter1

Post by Birdhunter1 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:21 pm

Birddog what I have found on the feed is this. at K&L I have never gotten feed more than 2 weeks from the factory (most times the bags are still warm in the winter time) while at Bucheitt's the freshest I have gotten is 1 month from the factory.
We were out of feed and K&L was closed so I went to Bucheitt's, paid more for older feed.

birdogg42

Post by birdogg42 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:23 pm

which bag do you feed and how much is it per bag?

Birdhunter1

Post by Birdhunter1 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:46 pm

I feed the black bag, about $15-$16/bag I think last time I got some, I don't remember the exact amount but it was just shy of $1000 for 63 bags. I think after I wrote the check I made them throw in a Diet Coke cause I was thirsty. The guys at K&L ar real nie guys, they also sell firearms (mostly rifle deals) out of the shop so make sure and take extra $$$.

kiddcline

Post by kiddcline » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:57 am

It's all I use. About three cups a day, even in 20 degree weather. keeps them shiny and full of energy. I use the yellow bag. "Trainers Blend".
Cam

AT2

Post by AT2 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:31 pm

does it have the "animal digest" that was talked about on the pro-plan post.
I noticed it has beet pulp. What were some problems people had with beet pulp. I cant remember. I am considering changing form pro-plan to this but I want to know what problem my occur so i will know what to look for if I have a problem.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:19 pm

Fish Meal - Clean, dried, and ground tissue of undecomposed whole fish or fish cuttings which may or may not have the oil removed. It is also considered an excelent source for Omega 3 fatty acids.
Animal Digest - A powder or liquid made by taking clean undecomposed animal tissue and breaking it down using chemical and or emblematic hydrolysis.
Two products that are almost identical except one is fish and the other animal based.
One is touted as being a great product the other is to be avoided.

Just doesn't compute.

Beet Pulp is a by-product of the sugar beet industry and is included in many feeds due to its cooling effect and also for its fiber. Most of the expensive feeds include it in their formuli.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Ridgeviewer

Post by Ridgeviewer » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:32 pm

AT2, To answer your question.. No, Black Gold does not use animal digest in their feed. Here is a link to there site http://blackgolddogfood.com click on any of their blends, and scroll down to the ingredients.

Ezzy, You must be kidding... Fish meal is dried ground fish even by your definition.

I'm curious as to where you got YOUR definition of "Animal Digest" .
Let's expand on it a bit... There is no restriction on the animals used in the making of "Animal Digest". As discussed before, the animal sources include, but are not limited to, dead, dying, diseased, euthanized and so on.
The Association Of American Feed Control Officials, a branch of the FDA, States the use of "animal Digest" in cheap dog foods, and dog treats is largely a convenient way of disposing of these animals.
A bit more on the 2 approved methods of Hydrolysis...
Chemical means using acid to decompose the animal tissue into a broth of sort.
Enzymatic, is letting enzymes decompose the animal tissue into a broth.

I'm really perplexed as to why you have such issue with those that prefer not to feed this to their dogs?

Ridge

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:21 pm

The Association Of American Feed Control Officials, a branch of the FDA, States the use of "animal Digest" in cheap dog foods, and dog treats is largely a convenient way of disposing of these animals
AAFCO has no connecion to FDA. The AAFCOis n industry control group made up of feed manufacturers.
Fish meal is dried ground fish even by your definition
True, its clean undecomposed fish that is partially digested chemically, then ground and dried into a meal.

Animal Digest is undecomposed animal scraps that are partially digested chemically then grounfd and dried into a meal.

Fish Solubles are undecomposed fish that are ground and has water added so it is used as a slurry and used in the feed.
I'm really perplexed as to why you have such issue with those that prefer not to feed this to their dogs?
I do not care in the least if you want to feed it or not. I do like to give people facts so they can make a logical decision instead of thinking there is something bad about an ingredient that is of animal quality and provides good nutrition for a dog. I am not feeding a feed that uses it either but I have no problem if a feed does include it. Its a product that has met all requirements as a nutritionally good ingredient and I tried to point out it is very simular to other ingredients that are in the feeds that we like to have included. Each provides different nutrients but the process is much the same with the difference being the animal or fish that is used and must be stated in the ingredient name.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

AT2

Post by AT2 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:34 pm

wow i just wanted some answers not another pissing contest. Hopefully this thread wont go for 9 pages. :lol:

Ridgeviewer

Post by Ridgeviewer » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:39 am

ezzy333 wrote:
AAFCO has no connecion to FDA. The AAFCOis n industry control group made up of feed manufacturers.
A control group made up of feed manufactures to control themselves?
Here's a snip directly from the FDA's site...

AAFCO is composed of state, federal, and international regulatory officials who are responsible for the enforcement of state laws regulating the safe production and labeling of animal feed, including pet food.

link to above reference http://www.fda.gov/cvm/animalfeed_info.htm#ingredients
I do like to give people facts so they can make a logical decision
The last time we discussed this in a thread you asked me for facts, and a definition of Animal Digest. I provided both, with references to the information. In this thread you are posting home brewed definitions, and changing them from one post to the next.
I give up....

The FDA and AAFCO both have very good (and very large) web sites should anyone want more information. I've done quite a bit of looking around on both as this interest me. If I can help direct anyone to information give me a shout by PM.
Ridge

shets114

Post by shets114 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:14 am

What about BHA?

mtjim

Post by mtjim » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:33 am

To answer the original post.

Three of us Bird doggers here in MidMissouri are feeding Plantation Blend. We switched from Diamond Natural and are loving the difference.

I'm feeding 2 cups a day to each dog plus I'll give them table scraps as supplement.

I know, my buddies think I spoil my dogs but they sure did enjoy that Pork Chop this morning.
Be wary of the man in the tattered old hunting coat with the bony pointer and the well worn side by side, he'll outshoot you every day.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:24 am

Ridgeviewer,

Google Animal Digest and you will probably find the list of ingredients that describes each for you. I quoted those since I knew someone would question mine if I posted them.

Ezzy