High Protein; Low Fiber; Low Fat

JessW

High Protein; Low Fiber; Low Fat

Post by JessW » Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:26 pm

What percentages of each would constitute a high protein; low fiber; low fat diet?

What dog food would you recommend to meet those requirements?

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:27 pm

Probably a 27-5-10 or so. Not a formula I would feed. Ol'Roy hi-pro or some other mediocre brand would probably be close, but I would have to research it. Your advice may be good or bad that you received depending on what you are trying to accomplish.
big steve

JessW

Post by JessW » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:43 pm

I have a dog that has been diagnosed with EPI. He was doing very well for a while but has recently started to drop weight again rapidly. They recommend a high protein, low fat, low card diet for this....

My vet is not very familiar with the disorder and I am wondering what food would be the best thing to feed....we are currently feeding Euakaneuba.

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:49 pm

You should get on the Diamond Pet Food website, and there is a section where you can ask their Vet that question. She is good about returning your emails.
big steve

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:57 pm

Not saying it would be best but some of the cheaper hi protien feeds like OL Roy would probably come the closest.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

JessW

Post by JessW » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:08 pm

other information that I ran across on the internet said that absorbtion of B12 and Vitamin E can also be a problem with this disorder....if I were to go with something like Ole Roy because of the high protein, would there be a supplement that I could add that would still help nutritionally speaking that would make up for where this food make lack in quality?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:10 pm

You can buy Vitamins over the counter.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

shets114

Post by shets114 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:55 am

How would ol roy constitute low carb?

Have you tried Eukanuba Low Residue?

How many times a day do you feed the dog?
You may want to cut the portions but increase the frequency.

Does the dog have loose bowels all the time or is he just not gaining weight?

JessW

Post by JessW » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:06 am

I have not tried Eukanuba Low Residue. I have never even heard of it. I will look it up.

I had thought about feeding 3 times a day when we can, unfortunately we can't always be here for a mid-afternoon feeding. They encourage 3 feedings a day but also a regular schedule.....I'm not sure which is the more important.

He had been doing well for a while but now is dropping weight rapidly again. His stools are inconsistant. Sometimes they are ok, sometimes they are a cow-patty consistancy. His symptoms are very much like before, just not continuous. I am worried because we have not changed his meds but they just don't seem to be working like usual.

shets114

Post by shets114 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:22 am

Go to where you get your Euk now and ask them to order a bag or so in for you. If they sell Euk they should be able to get it in. Just like switching any other food I would do it gradually, especially with your situation. There are several other recommended foods also. I have had some people using this with good results.

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:12 am

Roy first asked about "low fiber" not "low carbs", which is why I answered the way I did. He could use a feed with low numbers all the way across, and use a protein supplement like meat or a commercial supplement. Not being a DVM, I'd have to research the disease more to decide nutritionally.
big steve

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:13 am

Sorry, I meant Jess not Roy.
big steve

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:27 am

I just researced Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency a bit. Usually found in adult dogs, and mostly with German Shepherds. Basically, the pancreas mostly quits producing digestive enzymes. Recent research may indicate it's not necessary to restrict fats. Suppementing with digestive enzymes regularly is the most important. Supplementing with vit E and B12 is also necessary. I would think a good quality food that is very assimilative such as a Lamb and Rice formula, or a raw diet might be the best. The experts say the diet varys with the dog.
big steve

JessW

Post by JessW » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:43 pm

We have been adding Pancreved (an enzyme replacement) to his food for over a year now with much success but it seems to have quit working in the last couple of weeks for some reason.

He is at the vet now. They are doing blood work and checking to see if his other organs are still functioning properly. Apparantly, EPI can cause a strain on other organs especially the kidneys and liver. Hopefully I will know more by the end of the day. Thanks for the advice. I will keep you posted on what happens.

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:52 pm

There are a couple brands that have a high protein dog food: EVO and Black Gold to name a few and there are others. EVO (made by Innova) has over 40% protein due to the fact that it's mostly a meat product and no grains. They're spendy tho and not very easily obtained in small towns.

http://www.evopet.com/products/default.asp?id=1492

It's actually over 50% protein
Tom

MikeB

EPI

Post by MikeB » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:48 pm

I doubt you will find a comercial dog food in the pet or feed store that will work well for EPI. Vet diets may help like Euk vet diets only sold at vets offices. If your vet is not familiar with this desease I would find a more experienced vet in a larger town maybe that can be of more assistance. I would also search the WEB for better info about what to feed EPI dogs.

You could also join this German Shepherd Dog board. I know they will be of great help with much better info as some have dogs with EPI.

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/ubbthreads.php

Feeding Raw may be your best answer in some cases.

JessW

Post by JessW » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:56 pm

Well, I heard from the vet earlier today and am shocked but somewhat relieved to find out that Hacket tested heartworm positive.

I am shocked because he was just tested this past November and has been on Interceptor preventative. He had dropped 10 lbs since his Nov, visit and I really think most of the decrease has been very recent. While I know heartworm is terrible, I was really worried that the EPI has caused kidney damage or something that could be very hard to treat.

We are going to work hard to put as much weight back on him as possible in the next week to help build up his strength and then treat the heartworm.

We will also be taking in the other dogs to have them tested since they have also been on Interceptor. After that, I think we will switch to Ivomec that many people on the board use.

I will continue to research to find a food that will help with Hacket's condition and will had a B12 & E supplement to his diet. The vet also recommended adding a daily helping of yogurt to his diet.