Keeping my girl safe while in heat.

romeo212000

Keeping my girl safe while in heat.

Post by romeo212000 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:52 pm

I was wondering if some of you guys might be able to give me some advice on this. II have a 7 month old GSP female that I imagine will be coming into her first heat pretty soon. I have her in a 6 foot high kennel with the gate having a lock on it and I am not wanting to spay her until she is fully mature. However, my yard has no fence and I dont want any other males to get to her during this time.. I have heard of dogs climbing fences to get to dogs in heat and I need to make sure this does not happen. Can someone give me some advice on this.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:58 pm

If you can go to home depot or lowes and put a roof on the kennel

and if you ahve a heavy enough gauge and it is on concrete that is about the most you can do
unless you kennel her in the house from about day 7 through 16 of the cycle
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:04 pm

Your best bet is to put a top on her kennel, because a male will climb up the side and over the top to get to her. Another option is to keep her in a vari kennel and keep an eye on her whenever you let her out to do her duty. I would keep this up for a couple of weeks after she stops bleeding, just to be safe before you put her back outside. Welcome to the joys of owning a female.
Doug

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:09 pm

You can get 4'x8' cattle and horse panels at your farm store. They are not expensive and can be tied down for a temporary kennel top. Make sure you have them tied down good with wire.

I use Scott kennels for bitches in season.

Charles

stinkbelly

Post by stinkbelly » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:56 am

I am worrying about the same thing now. My DD is 10 1/2 months old, so it will be any day now.

I live on land and have a small fenced area for her to take care of business when not supervised. It only has a 4 foot fence. I knew this wasn't good enough. So I was going to buy a kennel and put it inside the fenced area. This way the neighbors dog would have to cross two fences. I have seen dogs climb chain link so a top is needed.

I have one question. Can she be bred through chainlink or even cattle panels if she is backing up?

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:52 am

YES, they CAN be bred through a fence.
Doug

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:03 am

Is there any way to avoid that?

Firstarrow

Post by Firstarrow » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:54 am

Line the panel with ply-wood 2' up depending on your dogs height.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:35 am

Doug
I would have to see that and have the pups DNA'd before I believe it. We have kenneled dogs for years next to each other in runs made of 2X4 welded wire and never had a problem. The only time a femle was bred accidently was when a small lab cross climbed the fence so it could get through a window to the inside kennel. But for years all of the dogs were kenneled in the 6ft high welded wire runs. I have heard these rumors but no one has ever comeup with any evidence it happened through the wire. When you check the position necessary to get penetration plus a ty up it appears impossible.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

schultz's honor

Post by schultz's honor » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:01 am

ezzy333 wrote:
Doug
I would have to see that and have the pups DNA'd before I believe it. We have kenneled dogs for years next to each other in runs made of 2X4 welded wire and never had a problem. The only time a femle was bred accidently was when a small lab cross climbed the fence so it could get through a window to the inside kennel. But for years all of the dogs were kenneled in the 6ft high welded wire runs. I have heard these rumors but no one has ever comeup with any evidence it happened through the wire. When you check the position necessary to get penetration plus a ty up it appears impossible.

Ezzy
I can see where it could be very possible, althought the dog would have to have DJH disorder. :D (double jointed hips)

earlthepearl

Post by earlthepearl » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:29 pm

If you intend on having her spayed anyway, why wait ? From what I've been told, spaying females before their first heat can eliminate potential health risks down the road. ( correct me if I'm wrong)

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Post by AHGSP » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:45 pm

Black Iron Chastity Belt and Padlock?

Seriously, they can be amazing at the things they will do to get to one another. Whatever you might come up with, check it, double check it.... and then check it again. The more isolated you can make her, the better.

Here, we alternate Kennel and Bedroom time. Boys go in, girls come out and vice versa. Does it get annoying? You bet, but it works. If we have to leave, the girls go in crates inside and the boys go outside in the fenced in yard, or in the kennel runs.

I'm not even confident having walls between them!
Bruce Shaffer

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten"
Mark Twain

Bruce, Raine, Storm and GSP's
Almost Heaven GSP's
"In Search of the Perfect GSP";)

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:18 pm

Dogs kenneled next to each other can be bred through the chain link. I know for a fact. Don't take that chance. Line it with plywood or aluminum sheets or whatever, but don't assum it can't happen.
We have done something with nothing for so long we are now qualified to do everything with anything....

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=275

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=520