Post by ..... » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:34 pm

Last edited by ..... on Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:24 pm, edited 8 times in total.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:22 pm

Yep one of many resources about over vaccinating our pets.
where they are doing serious studies on
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

midwestfisherman

Post by midwestfisherman » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:44 pm

Thanks for posting this info. I've been trying to find it recently. I think this is very important information for all dog owners.
Image * Image

"Your best conservation tool is a well trained hunting dog"

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:33 pm

This sounds like a worthwhile study. However, it will be worthless unless we approach it with an open mind. Predrawn conclusions will not be helpful.

I am also a little concerned about the money. We have an individual from Maine that is a founder and CO-Trustee I believe. The study is to take place in Wisconsin, and you are to send donations to California. How much of the money goes to the research and how much is used for salaries and soliciting? We really need to know these things.

Lets hope everything is on the up and up and they do conduct a study that can be used to prove the needs of the dogs to hold their immuninty and in turn reduce our costs and unneeded exposure to our dogs.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:15 pm

Nothing Predawn about this

they have been doing this study and others for many years

there are many owners that instead of just jabbing their dog with unneeded chemicals they are now doing titers counts.
which this has been also going on for many years

parvo being primarily a puppy virus protecting a puppy is a good thing but many are questioning why a healthy adult dog needs to be bombarded with the vaccine when their antibodies should be able to resist the problem...

we consistently bombard our animals with good intentions but those same good intentions may in the long run can be causing more other issues like lack of natural bodies resistance to things which are very common in the regular world

antibiotics people suck them down for every little things then when they do have a real issue the virus has been able to become antibiotic strain resistant. Parvo for instance keeps changing every few years getting some pretty nasty strain...can't help but wonder why it mutates and a vaccinated pup still gets parvo mostly one of two reasons there..either the pup was stressed and exposed at the same time getting a lighter case of parvo cause it had some resitance from a vaccine (such as a surgery ) or it is a new strain which the vaccine didn't cover one reason why you should always use the newest dates paoosbile if your doing your own vaccines...can't help but wonder if the mutation is also man caused inadvertently
but unless an adult dog has an immunity problem dogs past about 6 months old their chances of coming down with parvo are very slim versus then a pup between the ages of about 5-16 weeks when exposed. And as much as we try parvo is spread very easily so pretty much it is impossible to total prevent a pups exposure 24/7

So vaccinating at a young age helps to get them through that age
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:15 pm

If this study has been done for many years why does it say they finally got enough money to do it this year but don't know if they can continue it? After many years wouldn't they have some results? All they have to do is check the immunity level after each year to see if the dogs are still carrying enough immunity?
Dr. Schultz comments that: "We are all very excited to start this study that will hopefully demonstrate that rabies vaccines can provide a minimum of 7 years of immunity."

This research is being financed by The Rabies Challenge Fund, a charitable trust founded by pet vaccine disclosure advocate Kris L. Christine of Maine, who serves as Co-Trustee with world-renowned veterinary research scientist and practicing clinician, Dr. W. Jean Dodds of Hemopet in California. The Rabies Challenge Fund recently met its goal of $177,000 to fund the studies’ first year budget with contributions from dog owners, canine groups, trainers, veterinarians, and small businesses. Annual budget goals of $150,000 for the studies must be met in the future.
What do you think? Does that sound like its been going on for years?

Like I said, approach this with an open mind and not with the idea that we are going to prove some of our personal ideas are right.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:41 pm

Ok this is yet Another study

These studies have been going on for years...I was tallking to a vet I worked with in california which has been well over 10 years ago on this very thing and studies that were being done back then most were forgien studies.

So yes all studies need funding and yes it is good when we have more then One study on the same thing which can dwell deeper or gather information which can yet again confirm the same results which have been proven before

So yes this one my be new but what they are doing is Not new but this is one is going to try and challenge the required schedules that are being basically forced on pet owners...the monies they need is a yearly thing cause it will take that to do the US studies and the lobbying that it will take
http://www.newstarget.com/022525.html
http://www.vaclib.org/legal/PetsDying.htm
http://neuro.vetmed.ufl.edu/neuro/Drcle ... estion.htm
other studies which were talked about and finally posted http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Conten ... ourceID=42

do a few google searches ..

RoundRiver Setters

Post by RoundRiver Setters » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:15 pm

Thank you for posting this. Really good news I think.

People really need to be aware of the facts, for better health of our pets.

Maybe laws can finally get changed, where vaccines are concerned.
"To be good, a bird dog must give you goose pimples when he's working a bird." 'George Bird Evans'
Scott & Shelley

Heartlands Outlaw Jesse
Stevens Round River Babe
Setter Hills Blue Molly

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:37 pm

Thank you for posting this. Really good news I think.
I agree. I was just trying to keep all of the political stuff out of it but doubt if it works. This is a new study here in the USA. It has been done in France in the past, 1992 I believe. Lets see where it leads. We seem to be gradually lengthening the time on the rabies shots but I think much of what keeps them static is political. No one wants to step forward and suggest a longer time without prove it will work. I know it was a battle just getting it to 3 years. And the manufacturers don't push it because of the cost of the reserch and also their loss of sales.

Ezzy

WildRose

Post by WildRose » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:21 pm

Ezzy there have actually been a good number of studies published over the last ten years pointing to the conclusion that these folks seem to be starting with.

The American Veterinary Hospital association and one of the other major Canine Vet groups (the name of which escapes me right now) have published recommendations recently that state that since titers for pretty much all of the viral infectives remain strong for 3-5 years after the first adult vaccinations we should cut our vaccinating for the viral problems down to once every three years.

Conversely they also suggest that pretty much all of the bacterial infections we currently vaccinate for should be done at six to nine month intervals because the titers begin to fall off sharply during that time frame.

I haven't seen anything published yet showing 7 years effective rabies deterrence but it's certainly possible. However with rabies being such a severe threat for zoonosis (infection from animal to man) along with the fact that rabies is pretty much 100% fatal in humans I doubt we'll see any changes in rabies vaccination requirements to a 7 year program. What we MIGHT see is states allowing for some real common sense legislation whereby having a dog titer tested (to show that they are still carrying immunity to rabies) biannually or perhaps every three years eventually but it will be slow in coming I imagine.

Having once been bitten by a rabid animal and having to go through the old duck serum treatment (1 shot daily for 21 days in the stomach) regimen I can understand why CDC and state health agencies are going to be extremely conservative in making any recommendations to change rabies vaccination laws. CR
There's a reason I like dogs better'n people

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:06 pm

I cut mine back many years ago. And I know there have been other reserch done. Thats one of the things that make me wonder about this one. Plus I have heard some things about Dr Hobbs that were not real complimentry. Just think we need to take some of these things with a grain of salt but at the same tim hoping everything id legit.

Ezzy

Post by ..... » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:18 am