Leptospira

ohiohuntinweim

Leptospira

Post by ohiohuntinweim » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:33 pm

I had Smokey vaccinated at a clinic not our normal vet (clinic much closer and cheaper). I just took her in to get a check up and drop off the vaccination records.

The doctor called and said that Smokey hadn't gotten the leptospira???? vaccine (my wife took the call and this was the closest thing I could come up with) She also indicated that this was a vital vaccination since she was a hunting dog. I haven't done my googling yet to look up info, but what do you guys think???? Is this something I should get her vaccinated for??? My first reaction was it was an easy way to get another office call and vaccination bill going...but the vet seemed sincere in her opinion.
Jeremy

"Going to the woods is going home." -John Muir

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:04 pm

I agree i should be done. Lepto is a pretty common disease in many domestic animals, though I am not sure how prevalent in our wildlife.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

birddogdoc

Post by birddogdoc » Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:32 pm

Leptospirosis is a bacterial infection that animals can get from drinking contaminated H20. It can be carried by a whole host of critters...domestic and wild. It's a good idea to vaccinate against it if it's prevalent in the area you live, or if you have bird dogs and must travel--like me!

There are numerous (7 to 10) types of Lepto, but the vaccine is only good for 4 of those serovars. And, if you have a dog that reacts to vaccines, this is one vaccine that I commonly see swollen faces and vomiting...but, these side effects aren't near as bad as getting the disease. The vaccine is fairly effective and immunity lasts about 11 months.

I haven't seen too many cases of it here in CO, but they keep warning us that it's on the rise! I vaccinate my dogs because they drink from standing water in agricultural areas! Like all other bird dogs!

As with all things associated with the health of your partners, hear the facts and make educated decisions associated with their health. Just because a manufacturer claims something, it does NOT mean it's true...Vaccine companies can put a vaccine on the market by proving that it's safe and MAYBE effective. They only need a USDA approval which really isn't that tough!
Last edited by birddogdoc on Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

utahmomof4

Post by utahmomof4 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:40 pm

So, if my puppy has had 7-way shots each time, then she's covered for Lepto, right?
LORI
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=966

"It is not a mark of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." -- Krishnamurti

birddogdoc

Post by birddogdoc » Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:58 pm

Lori,

to answer your question...I'm not sure. I don't use a "7-way" Vaccine. We use one that has 5 different antigens (Parvo, Distemper, etc) in it, and the Lepto comes as a separate vax with the 4 types of Lepto. I think that a 7-way probably does have Lepto and Corona Virus in it in addition to the Parvo/Distember Combo!
Last edited by birddogdoc on Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

prairiefire

Post by prairiefire » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:00 pm

My breeder advised we stay away from the Lepto vaccine. She said that shorthairs can have severe adverse reactions to the shot (in fact, one of her puppy owners had given the vaccine and the puppy went into anaphylactic shock and nearly died).

Can any of the vets on this board weigh in on the safety of this vaccine? I've read the previous posts on this board and others and I'm not sure what to believe...

birddogdoc

Post by birddogdoc » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:23 pm

Prairiefire,

Vaccines can be debated over and over and over! Again, I think the best advice is to chat with your pet's personal veterinarian and make a decision on which vax to give them based on the location that you live and the life style of your bird dogs!

A dog can react to any vax and have a severe/life threating reaction. I've never had a reaction like that with Lepto (or any other vax for that matter) in the 10 years that I've been in practice, but I don't vaccinate every dog for it! The most common Rxn that I've seen has been a swollen face that resolved very quickly with giving them benadryl.

utahmomof4

Post by utahmomof4 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:26 pm

birddogdoc wrote:Lori,

to answer your question...I'm not sure. I don't use a "7-way" Vaccine. We use one that has 5 different antigens (Parvo, Distemper, etc) in it, and the Lepto comes as a separate vax with the 4 types of Lepto. I think that a 7-way probably does have Lepto and Corona Virus in it in addition the the Parvo/Distember Combo!
Okay. The 7-way does say that it has Lepto. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything additional I should be giving. Thanks!
LORI

"It is not a mark of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." -- Krishnamurti

birddogdoc

Post by birddogdoc » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:40 pm

Lori,

U R Welcome! They need two Lepto boosters at 3 week intervals before they have adequate immunity.

Shawn

utahmomof4

Post by utahmomof4 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:00 pm

birddogdoc wrote:Lori,

U R Welcome! They need two Lepto boosters at 3 week intervals before they have adequate immunity.

Shawn
She had the 7-way at 6 weeks, 9 weeks, and 12 weeks. Then last week (16 weeks) she had the DHPP, Bordatella, and rabies. So we're covered now, right?
LORI

Terry

Post by Terry » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:08 pm

I just give it with a 7 way also. I think there is a vaccine out there that does vaccinate against all the strains, it can't remember the name though.

birddogdoc

Post by birddogdoc » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:09 pm

Lori,

They got ya covered...as long as your dog doesn't get exposed to one of the Lepto serovars that the vaccines doesn't cover! :P :?

I don't think you have anything to worry about!!!!

Shawn

prairiefire

Post by prairiefire » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:12 pm

birddogdoc wrote:Prairiefire,

I think the best advice is to chat with your pet's personal veterinarian and make a decision on which vax to give them based on the location that you live and the life style of your bird dogs!
I totally agree and I'll revisit this with him in the spring! Unfortunately, though I really like my vet, he's not a hunter and doesn't have real specific knowledge of the GSP breed. And I've definitely read posts on this board where recommendations have been debated by vets on this board who happen to be more familiar with the breed in question and the work they do in the field.

Thanks for the response!

birddogdoc

Post by birddogdoc » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:19 pm

Terry,

To the best of my knowledge, there is only a Lepto that covers 4 serovars. I believe it's made by Fort Dodge. I could be wrong!

I learn something new every single day! Beware of people who think they Know Everything! Life is an every day learning process!
Shawn

ohiohuntinweim

Post by ohiohuntinweim » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:34 pm

Thanks birddogdoc, I'll probably go to the vet and go ahead and get it done.

Just as a side note...what if a dog isn't vac'd and does contract, what will happen???
Jeremy

birddogdoc

Post by birddogdoc » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:45 pm

I've only seen a few dogs with Lepto in Washington state (Go COUGS!)...they died of kidney and liver failure! Don't panic about it. I don't as a general rule vaccinate all dogs across the board. I go by their life style and geographic location.

Shawn

Terry

Post by Terry » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:18 pm

birddogdoc wrote:Terry,

To the best of my knowledge, there is only a Lepto that covers 4 serovars. I believe it's made by Fort Dodge. I could be wrong!

I learn something new every single day! Beware of people who think they Know Everything! Life is an every day learning process!
Shawn
I looked at the paperwork from my vet, my mistake, the fort dodge stuff is what he was recommending.

ohiohuntinweim

Post by ohiohuntinweim » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:47 am

So I have tried to search for a website that lists frequency of lepto. cases in Ohio, but haven't found any

Is there a place to find out if its a problem in my area???
Jeremy

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:37 am

It was very prevalent in cattle and hogs back 40 years or so. Caused a lot of animals to abort their pregnacies. Since that time I think most have vacinated and you don't hear as much about it anymore. Just don't think there is a lot of it around but if we quit vacinating it would probably rear its head again.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Post by ..... » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:40 am

Last edited by ..... on Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:48 am

Jeremy,

You hunt with your dog so I recommend getting the vaccine. There are some rare cases of Lepto reactions in Weimaraners but I would rather have a reaction than a dog DIE from Lepto. We have had quite a few dogs die in my area from Lepto. We also had a human die of it a couple of years ago not too far from me. In my area fox are the main carriers of it.

Your dog will be getting the Lepto vaccine seperately from the other vaccines so it will be much less stressful to his/her immune system. I give the Lepto vaccine seperately and I don't give it to young puppies.
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners
Breeding for Conformation and Performance
NFC/FC Cherrystone La Reine De Pearl
CH Cherystone Perl of Sagenhaft MH,SDX,NRD,VX,BROM
CH Cherrystone Gone With the Wind JH

ohiohuntinweim

Post by ohiohuntinweim » Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:29 pm

She's going in on the 16th to get a check up for her incontinence due to spaying...forget the technical term for it...and she's going to get the lepto vaccine at that point.

Our vet was pushing it pretty hard which either means they want to sell more vac's or it can be an issue around here. And she did mention hunting dogs are at higher risk...so sounds like she's atleast moderatly informed!
Jeremy