Bummed

Breton13

Bummed

Post by Breton13 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:48 pm

Penny's been having some problems getting up from resting, especially after exercising. So I took her to the vet today to get it diagnosed. I can't rmemeber the looong scientific diagnosis, but she has issues with her "cranial cruciate ligament". Her ligaments won't stay in place, and she's in pain. The doc explained she'll need surgery where they remove the cartlidge, grind down her bones, put the ligaments back in place then replace the kneecap! She has to be on a leash until surgery, and then there's a 6-8 week recovery period after that. Left knee for now, and then the right later down the road. So much for "back to business" this spring. :cry: She's supposed to go to pro. training this summer too, but we'll have to see now. Luckily the x-rays of her hips came back negative for anything bad, but it's still a bummer. She's not truly happy unless she's tearing through the fields, and now she'll have to be a lapdog until who knows when.... I had hoped to breed her if she proved well in the field and/or show, but can't now. I pray recovery is quick, and that she'll be back to her old turbo-charged self by this fall.
Fay P.
Children seldom misquote you. In fact, they usually repeat word for word what you shouldn't have said.
Penny's Pedigree
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=270

AT2

Post by AT2 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:30 pm

Thats terrible news. Sorry to hear that for her and you. Will be in my thoughts and prayers. More than anything I want my dog to be healthy and happy.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:03 pm

I know how you feel. It will be OK but will be lots of work and expense you didn't need.

Let us know how it comes along.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

jcbuch

Post by jcbuch » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:04 pm

Sorry to hear about your dogs injury.

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:35 am

Ouch man. Sorry to hear about that. At least its something that can be medically dealt with so your pup doesn't have pain all the time. Sounds like her life can be made relatively normal with the surgery.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:05 pm

You need to get a Chiropractor who works on dogs to check the occipital-atlas area of the upper neck. Will be perfectly safe to do so and if treatable would be much easier on the dog and the pocketbook.
big steve

Breton13

Post by Breton13 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:21 pm

Big Steve,
hadn't even thought about that. I'll se what I can find around here. Is it a long process, several sessions etc?

And thank you all for your thoughts. I'll keep you posted.
Fay P.
Children seldom misquote you. In fact, they usually repeat word for word what you shouldn't have said.
Penny's Pedigree

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:31 am

If treatable, I would think good results would be quickly forthcoming.
big steve

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:31 am

i dont want to 2nd guess your vet, because Lord knows that aggravates me sometimes, BUT, the signs you are seeing just dont seem to jive with the diagnosis to me. any lameness during exercise?? an issue with the CCL would be a tear, partial or complete, and there should have been some kind of lameness invilved, especially if it is bilateral. BUT, i havent seen your dog, and i certainly dont know everything! good luck.

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:02 pm

Sorry to hear that! I've never heard of that problem before. Is it something genetic?
Tom

Breton13

Post by Breton13 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:34 pm

Don't know, I'm still researching. I guess it depends on the cause of the problem, weather it's injury or they're born with it. All I know is I won't breed her.
Couple of questions. If she's can't be bred, can she still do conf. shows?
Also, Dog Dr. any take on the chiropractor suggestion? I'm planning on contacting a Vet about an hour away that also does chiro. Her limping is getting worse as time goes by. She's was tearing up the field when I was running her, but the lameness, or reluctancy to use the leg happened after coming home. It used to seem worse when it was cold outside, but now it's just bad all the time. I posted a thread last winter about her limping, when the vet (same vet) told me it was growing-pains. I guess now we know what it is.... at least I'm assuming it's a related problem.
Fay P.
Penny's Pedigree

Breton13

Post by Breton13 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:28 pm

Well, I'm getting a secon oppionion on Monday. Here's a question (or a statement, however you take it). I called my Vet to see if I can pick up Penny's x-rays today. The office told me I can pick them up, but have to bring them right back. I'm driving about 2 hours to the other Vet, and won't be back till Monday nigt, and they said since the x-rays are their property, I can't keep them over the weekend. Shouldn't I have access to my own dog's medical records? And if I've paid for the x-rays, shouldn't I be able to at least sign them out and utilize them? I don't know if it's a liability thing, or it's just this vet. Please enlighten me if you can :oops:
Fay P.
Penny's Pedigree

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:55 pm

I would ask the office to ask the Vet if you could keep them a couple of days. If the Vet does not have a xray copier, you might take them to the local hospital and get copies made for a small fee. Or just have the new Vet take new ones. Legally, the xrays belong to the Vet. You only paid for the service.
big steve

Breton13

Post by Breton13 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:39 pm

Ok, I can see that. But what about when I leave here (we're military, so we're bound to move sooner or later), or change vet? I'm assuming I can take the med. recs. with me, but maybe the xrays won't be included? All I know is the office people were really huffy with us, and I guess it's because we're getting a second oppinion. But it's a big surgery and I do want to feel comfortable I'm making the right decision.
Fay P.
Penny's Pedigree

sjohnny

Post by sjohnny » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:56 pm

My V tore his CCL a few months ago. Sounds like the same symptoms you described. There are aparently several ways to do this surgery. My vet basically removed the torn ligament and replaced it with baling wire or fishing line or something (not really but you get the idea). I asked the vet if he would still be able to run around in the fields and find birds and he replied "If he could before." He recovered pretty well but I think I started running him a little soon as he limps on it a little bit from time to time. He's actually back at the vet today because his got infected where he wouldn't stop licking it and I felt bad about having the lampshade on his head :oops: We're going to give him plenty of time to rest after this visit before any more training. It's hard with a high energy dog to keep him cooped up in the house. He hates being on bed-rest.

Good luck with your dog,
John

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:26 pm

Breton, as I alluded to earlier, usually the Vet has to allow you to get copies, or forward to the next Vet as a loan.
big steve

Breton13

Post by Breton13 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:16 pm

OK, thanks.
Fay P.
Penny's Pedigree

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:12 pm

The x-rays of Rush went with us from our vet to the hospital where he was operated on and they are hanging here on our wall now where you can see the before and after pictures.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:27 am

dog dr wrote:i dont want to 2nd guess your vet, because Lord knows that aggravates me sometimes, BUT, the signs you are seeing just dont seem to jive with the diagnosis to me. any lameness during exercise?? an issue with the CCL would be a tear, partial or complete, and there should have been some kind of lameness invilved, especially if it is bilateral. BUT, i havent seen your dog, and i certainly dont know everything! good luck.
From what the owner is describing it sounds like the dog is having slipping of the CCL. It sounds like the ligament is not staying in the groove. This is a very common occurance in toy breeds but I haven't seen it in sporting dogs. My mother's Bichon has this problem and so does another friend's Bichon. Surgery done on the friend's Bichon worked very well to correct the problem.
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners
Breeding for Conformation and Performance
NFC/FC Cherrystone La Reine De Pearl
CH Cherystone Perl of Sagenhaft MH,SDX,NRD,VX,BROM
CH Cherrystone Gone With the Wind JH

Streenie79

Post by Streenie79 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:32 pm

It seems a little odd to me that your vet doesn't want you to keep the x-rays over the weekend....? I realize that the x-rays may legally be his property as you've only paid for the "service" but it seems a bit strange to me that he doesn't want you to have them for a few days.

What possible difference could it make?

Breton13

Re: Bummed

Post by Breton13 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:52 pm

Sorry I haven't posted earlier, the only time I get on the computer anymore is doing work or homework... Anyways,
My vet did finally let me keep the x-rays over the weekend, but they weren't happy about it.
I took Penny to a vet in Fargo (about 1 hr away) for a second opinion. This Vet does chiropractics, acupuncture etc. As I in my limited ways tried to explain, her ligaments are slipping out of the grooves, her CCLs are not torn. He looked at her knees, and could easily pop her kneecaps in and out of place, and part of her left kneecap is gone, rubbed off. In stead of surgery as a first step, he is trying Prolotherapy (injections) to tighten up her ligaments, and Adequain for her cartlidge. Hopefully it works, and we can fix her without surgery. We'll see over the next few weeks.

Like the new look of the forum by the way!
Fay P.
Penny's Pedigree

dog dr

Re: Bummed

Post by dog dr » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:14 pm

glad you got a 2nd opinion. a CCL problem and luxating patellas are 2 very different things. good luck!