Hot Spots

BadShot

Hot Spots

Post by BadShot » Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:28 am

Hi.

My old guy just recently came up with two "hot spots." I think thats the common name for those little sore spots? He has never had them before, but vet chalked it up to age. I had read somewhere, that there is some kind of homemade concocktion that you can put on them that tastes bitter so the dog stops licking the sore. So far, wrapping them up hasn't worked all that well.

Thanks in advance for any advise, Tammy

WildRose

Post by WildRose » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:44 am

"Hot spots" is a generic term applied to a lot of skin conditions so it's hard to generalize. Frequently hot spots are just pressure points where a dog that lays on rock or concrete essentially rubs off the hair where bones pinch the skin against a hard surface. These spots will tend to build a callous and get hard. These you really can't do anythign about unless you get the dog off of the hard surfaces.

Some are the result of skin irritation from the same type situation that become infected usually with a fungus. Something like Tinactin can work wonders on those.

Some like I see fairly commonly with my dogs will be caused by tiny cactus spines breaking off in the skin not causing any serious infection or mechanical problem but they are irritating and the dog will continuously lick them creating an open sore. For those I use Strong tincture of Iodine.

Sometimes those lick spots really have no medical or injury problem associated with them, they are the result of a repetitive chronic abnormal licking for no good reason. Those more often occur when a dog is bored and not getting enough exercise or attention. If they become large, open sores or last for a long time then you've got a dog with a psychiatric problem and they may very well cause themselves great harm over time.

For things like this something like the bitter apple spray, tabasco sauces, and white pepper can help discourage the licking but won't treat the heart of the problem> CR
There's a reason I like dogs better'n people

claybuster_aa

Post by claybuster_aa » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:44 pm

WildRose wrote:"Hot spots" is a generic term applied to a lot of skin conditions so it's hard to generalize. Frequently hot spots are just pressure points where a dog that lays on rock or concrete essentially rubs off the hair where bones pinch the skin against a hard surface. These spots will tend to build a callous and get hard. These you really can't do anythign about unless you get the dog off of the hard surfaces.

Some are the result of skin irritation from the same type situation that become infected usually with a fungus. Something like Tinactin can work wonders on those.

Some like I see fairly commonly with my dogs will be caused by tiny cactus spines breaking off in the skin not causing any serious infection or mechanical problem but they are irritating and the dog will continuously lick them creating an open sore. For those I use Strong tincture of Iodine.

Sometimes those lick spots really have no medical or injury problem associated with them, they are the result of a repetitive chronic abnormal licking for no good reason. Those more often occur when a dog is bored and not getting enough exercise or attention. If they become large, open sores or last for a long time then you've got a dog with a psychiatric problem and they may very well cause themselves great harm over time.

For things like this something like the bitter apple spray, tabasco sauces, and white pepper can help discourage the licking but won't treat the heart of the problem> CR
If it's not the rocks or concrete....genetics? lol.

Charlie
A good bird dog is always the right color

BadShot

Post by BadShot » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:53 am

No rocks, concrete or cactus needles on the end of my sofa! :lol: I brought my old guy (14yr old last Dec) to vet about month ago. Vet thought they were caused becuse of his arthritis, licking at sore joints, which is where both two are located at. I have him on vitamins, Cosequin and Rimadyl, have for some time now. After exam, vet very nicely smiled at me...and reminded me that he is getting very up there in the years...and...being a big dog.... (Newfoundland/Golden mix, was at a heathy 95#, now down to a thin 80-85#) I know just what the vet was saying. :( So...just trying to make him as happy and comfortable as I can now.

Thanks, Tammy

ohiohuntinweim

Post by ohiohuntinweim » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:49 am

Bitter apple is commercially available at most pet stores. There are also some over the counter sprays that will help stop any itching at the site that can also help reduce licking.
Jeremy

"Going to the woods is going home." -John Muir

WildRose

Post by WildRose » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:00 pm

Tammy at that age the vet could be right. But take a look at the dog when he's laying down in his most "typical pose". See if those spots are contact points between bony spots and what he's laying on.

At that age something you might consider is a product called "the missing link". It has all sorts of vitamins, minerals, and micronutrients that can help a dog be healtheir overall in their later years. CR
There's a reason I like dogs better'n people