Diamond
35%
Whatevers Cheapest
4%

Total votes: 26

Ryan

What kind of dog food

Post by Ryan » Mon May 02, 2005 10:20 pm

Just wondering what type of food you feed. If you choose other please specify. Please put why you choose this brand also.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Mon May 02, 2005 10:21 pm

I feed Eukanuba because I like the way it makes her coat shine and the lamb meet in it. Plus I have never heard bad things about it.

Birdhunter1

Post by Birdhunter1 » Tue May 03, 2005 1:14 am

Welcome to the forum Ryan! We have alot of fun here and learn alot from each other.
I feed Black Gold, it's a 24% protein 18% fat blend, you don't have it listed up there so I didn't vote. It is also cheap because another guy I hunt with and I are buying at at wholesale by the pallet and we are dealers of it. Wanna buy some dog food?
Just to let you know there is a poll section where alot of these types of questions usually go.
Also this is a current pole in th epoll section: http://www.gundogforum.com/forum/viewto ... highlight=

Not getting on you or anything just letting you know.
Again welcome.

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Tue May 03, 2005 7:43 am

Ryan,

can you add diamond?

Grant

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Tue May 03, 2005 8:03 am

If I knew how I would. Sorry I am from Canada and I am not up to terms on what you feed in the states.

pear

Post by pear » Tue May 03, 2005 8:10 am

Added it for you Ryan............."pear"
"When I was a kid, I used to pray every night for a new "puppy". Then I realized that the Lord, in his wisdom, didn't work that way. So I just stole one and asked him to forgive me".

Arti
Nikki
Diamond
Bailey

Duane M

Post by Duane M » Tue May 03, 2005 8:58 am

I've been feeding Diamond feeds for the last three years, Pro, Premium and Lamb and Rice formulas. The reason is simple why after 30 years, cost and quality. I have fed every feed out there from the so called super premiums to locally produced brands and have not found a feed that is any better no matter the cost.

I finished a 6 month study of feeds a couple of months ago using several brands and hand feeding to keep all aspects euqal. This was started after all dogs had a complete health check up as well to eliminate any possible parasites or disease that could skew the results. Despite the fact that several feeds cost twice as much /lb not a single one performed any better than the Diamonds did. Thats using weight retention, coat, stool and energy as the criteria.

The dissapointing thing was that a couple of the super premiums performed worse in weight retention and coat condition than a locally made feed. These feeds were over a buck a pound to feed and the performance was dismal. Using manufacturer feeding guidelines was an eye opener, as several took twice the reccomended amount just to keep weight on the dogs.

brian

Exceed Lamb and Rice

Post by brian » Tue May 03, 2005 10:07 am

I feed Exceed Lamb and Rice.

Why: The breeder I bought my pup from fed that. My dog does well on it. Shiny coat and maintains weight. Cost. You buy it at Sam's Club for about $21 for a 44 lb bag.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Tue May 03, 2005 11:42 am

"I finished a 6 month study of feeds a couple of months ago using several brands and hand feeding to keep all aspects equal."

Wow. I'd love to see the results of this if you've got them.

I voted diamond, but I am also feeding Nutro to two of my dogs. They have a skin condition and the vet suggested a food switch. Didn't help, and costs more, but thought I'd mention that our Lab snuck in the feed room and knocked over the can of food and ate about 7 pounds of the Nutro at once. The next day she was kinda bloated and lazy, but boy about 2 days after, her coat was shiny and looked amazing.
:roll:
Gotta love the labs

Colleen

Post by Colleen » Tue May 03, 2005 12:47 pm

Other: Canidae. All USDA-approved, human-grade ingredients. No fillers, preservatives or additives. My dogs hold weight, have absolutely no odor to their breath whatsoever (unless they just got some fish for a treat, of course), have the whitest white teeth, have never had a skin problem, and my liver GSP is so shiny he often looks like he's actually wet. We ran out a while ago and while waiting for our next shipment, we switched to Nutro for a bit, the dogs ate more than twice what they do on Canidae, they were hungry all the time. (We free feed) Same thing happened when my first pup started on Purina and on Science Diet. We like it so much we order it online, 200# at a time (for 2 dogs) to get the bulk discount. I have since converted several friends with allergic, limp-coated goldens.

My vet recommends against Eukaneuba, Purina, Iams and pretty much any other big name brand, as well as the generics (Ol' Roy, etc). For the most part, these companies do not guarantee their ingredients, i.e. if corn is cheap during one production cycle, there's lots of corn; if rice is cheaper during one production cycle, there's more rice; if sorghum is cheaper....you get the picture. You never know what you're really getting. Last summer when Fletch went in for a routine checkup, the vet remarked that Fletcher was the one and only dog he'd seen all summer with no skin problems.

I guess each dog handles each food differently, but for my two, Canidae has shown to be the best.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue May 03, 2005 3:28 pm

You might as well add pedigree to the cheapest label and open up one for the quality dog foods that though maybe less then some of your over priced grain based foods but are not cheaply made by no means.

We feed Enhance HUnters Edge 24-18 to most of the kennel and then the Enhanced Professional athlete 30-22 to the dogs on the road

I will feed the VF puppy to my young pups for the first 4 months then go the the Pro athlete after that

They are newer on the market and extrude their food from a human grade facility

and The labeling is about what is in the food not misleading and micro labeling either

By products are at most comapnies the cleaned inners that most animals eat first for the proteins and such and cartiledge and other by products have also been shown to have a natural source of glucosimine....But the only company i see so far using this marketing to make you think your getting something more then what your paying for is purina. Read your purina pro plan performance three different corn products then it starts off with real chicken FYI it would take 100 pounds of real chicken to make a 20 pound bag of feed..You add it up...and I have fed this to my dogs and I do not notice ANY difference in my dogs except I can afford to trial a bit more with what i am feeding now
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

llewgor

Post by llewgor » Tue May 03, 2005 7:15 pm

canidae is what i feed my two dogs.
about a year ago my nephew and is family move in with there dog. his coat was dull and he had hots spots on his legs that he always chew at, they feed him pedigree. i switch him over to canidae and his coat came back and the hot spots healed up and his energy level went way up.
Billy
"Change the way you look at things, and the things you look at change"

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=147

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=152

Duane M

Post by Duane M » Tue May 03, 2005 7:50 pm

Mountain dog any particular aspects youd like or just an overview?

In short the one super premium I found worth the money IMHO was Precise in the Endurance formula. The price was similar to the others I fed but the amount of feed needed was 1-1/12 cups less for maintenance. The stools were the best on a consistent basis, not all of the SP were as consistent as I would have liked. I'm not looking for the perfect stool mind ya but cleanup alone is worth a firm turd :lol: , not to mention absorbtion.

The biggest sort of suprise was a local brand. I say sort of because I had fed it in the past till my local store quit stocking it. The cost was .32/lb and the results were pretty dang good to be honest. It was not on par with any of Premiums but outperformed Purina High Pro as well as Exceed.
Last edited by Duane M on Wed May 04, 2005 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

sudiegirl

Post by sudiegirl » Tue May 03, 2005 7:56 pm

canidae
dogs are never tired of it.... and it fixed all skin, weight, and digestive problems in 3 dogs. great food.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Tue May 03, 2005 8:26 pm

Wow sounds like there is a bunch of food everone is feeding

ourhunters

Post by ourhunters » Wed May 04, 2005 9:36 pm

Canidae - as it has helped fix allergy/skin problems with weim (saved our checkbook from all of the special foods he was on) and shorthair loves it too!

Caren

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Thu May 05, 2005 11:19 am

Whoop! I hadn't replied to this because I thought it was the same poll we had done last year.

Anyway, I also feed Canidae. Pup loves it, no problems, no weight issues, and he's got more energy than a nuclear power plant. I couldn't check "whatever's cheapest" though, 'cuz it ain't cheap.

I do get it for $28 per bag though, which is substantially cheaper than what others can get it for (so I hear.. $40/bag?)
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Thu May 05, 2005 12:37 pm

I know what you mean. We just bought a Bag of Eukanuba lol 70 bucks later. Only lasts her a month out of hunting season. 2 weeks during seasons.

Country-Side Breeders

Post by Country-Side Breeders » Thu May 05, 2005 2:16 pm

I'm also a fan of Canidae. I get it for $31/bag. I've noticed that it really varies in price from store to store. My vet sells it for $40! I've never had any problems keeping weight on them, even after hunting season...and the pups get along well on it too.

Country-Side Breeders

Post by Country-Side Breeders » Thu May 05, 2005 2:19 pm

Maybe we should take out one of the brands that's not getting any attention and add Canidae to it? I can do that if you'd like, Ryan. :)

pear

Post by pear » Thu May 05, 2005 2:23 pm

Patty I think you can add without taking any away..........sure as you remove one, someone will feed it. :D
"When I was a kid, I used to pray every night for a new "puppy". Then I realized that the Lord, in his wisdom, didn't work that way. So I just stole one and asked him to forgive me".

Arti
Nikki
Diamond
Bailey

Country-Side Breeders

Post by Country-Side Breeders » Thu May 05, 2005 2:51 pm

I think you can only have 10 options and then it lets you know that you've entered too many options.

pear

Post by pear » Thu May 05, 2005 3:46 pm

Never tried, until now but your right !!

Arti
Nikki
Diamond
Bailey

Country-Side Breeders

Post by Country-Side Breeders » Thu May 05, 2005 3:54 pm

yepper...and I don't want to be the one to decide what one to delete because it's not my post, so we'll see what Ryan has to say.

gone

Post by gone » Thu May 05, 2005 4:02 pm

I feed Science Diet any opinions?

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Thu May 05, 2005 5:57 pm

Ya take away one of the ones that arnt being used. Sorry here grad weekend so I am really busy.

Country-Side Breeders

Post by Country-Side Breeders » Thu May 05, 2005 6:47 pm

I took Pardnar out and put in Canidae...so everyone that mentioned it can enter their vote now. :D

12 Volt Man

Post by 12 Volt Man » Thu May 05, 2005 8:55 pm

Black Gold.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Fri May 06, 2005 9:45 am

Right on thanks

llewgor

Post by llewgor » Fri May 06, 2005 6:24 pm

ryan here's a website to compare your food to others.
nutrapet.com
use the compare tool and click on each ingredients with your food and any others. it doesn't have all the dog food that are mention here but gives you a idea.
countrywide i justed went to wal-mart online and ordered canine & feline nutrition a book you recomended and i ordered raw food for your dog. more to just confused this old man when will i ever learned :lol:
Billy

Country-Side Breeders

Post by Country-Side Breeders » Fri May 06, 2005 6:41 pm

It's a good read...I think you'll like it. Here's another place you can go to confuse yourself even more....
http://www.mordanna.com/dogfood/index.php?page=links

llewgor

Post by llewgor » Fri May 06, 2005 7:18 pm

WOW your right that's alot to go through, hope i make it to the other side. :D thanks.
Billy

llewgor

Post by llewgor » Fri May 06, 2005 11:13 pm

WOW THAT'S VERY INTERTRESTING. I'm not all the way through but that is some intertresting read. And they're not trying to sell me any dog food, letting me make my own decision. Which from reading that I have. Not so confusing after all heh :wink:
THANKS COUNTRY-SIDE
Billy

Country-Side Breeders

Post by Country-Side Breeders » Sat May 07, 2005 6:32 am

I thought it was a pretty good site...unbiased and full of information. Glad to help. :D

Colleen

Post by Colleen » Sat May 07, 2005 8:25 am

Ugh, the article "Food not fit for a pet" is like re-reading "Fast Food Nation," only aimed toward my dogs. We need a pukey smiley face.

Country-Side Breeders

Post by Country-Side Breeders » Sat May 07, 2005 9:21 am

:pukeright: :pukeleft:

Katies Dad

Post by Katies Dad » Sat May 07, 2005 11:51 am

I am trying a new food right now its called tuffy"s I think its really good stuff so far. $20/50lb cant beat the price! Alot of the bird dog guys around here are using it and they say it keeps the weight on and has 26% protein also the omega and the other one that i cant think of right now! I have used canidae, nutro, iams, pedigree, diamond and a couple more! So far this new stuff is holding up well I will keep you informed!

Country-Side Breeders

Post by Country-Side Breeders » Sat May 07, 2005 11:57 am

Tuffy's dog food...is that the stuff in the yellow or red bag?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat May 07, 2005 12:56 pm

The site suggested at the top of the page is interesting. Has some good points in it but an awful lot of misinformation also. It is nothing more than one persons opinion and they didn't do a very good job of researching all of their facts. But like I said there is also some good stuff in there too. The worst part is the same old story we hear so often that the big companies are not interested in providing a good food but are out to just make money and nothing more is further from the truth. That is exactly the same thought process I could use to say that none of you that are raising puppies have any interest in producing the best pups you can but are just trying to make a fortune selling poor quality puppies. I KNOW NEITHER PREMISE IS CORRECT!

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.