GSp too skinny

shootist

Re: GSp too skinny

Post by shootist » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:31 am

How is she doing now? Any improvement?

intothewind

Post by intothewind » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:32 pm

i have to say, i tried the satin balls the poster was talking about earlier. i mixed up a big batch. one of my females has a hard time keeping weight. 1 week later i can tell a difference. she absolutely loves them. we dont even have to wash the bowl, its totally clean when shes done- :lol:

nanney1

Post by nanney1 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:44 am

I have also used the Satin Balls recipe for one of my Bernese Mountain Dogs. He's an 8 year old male that is fed in the morning and evening. Once it turned hot this summer, he would only eat one meal per day. He has always been very lean to the point that I can feel his ribs and backbones easily.

On a Saturday morning, he didn't seem interested in his morning meal. That afternoon, I mixed up a Satin Ball batch and put it in 2 quart freezer bags as described in the link posted earlier. I gave him half of one bag in the evening and he ate it up. The next day, he got the remainder of the first quart bag in the AM and another half bag in the PM. The following morning, he finished it off. After that, he went back to eating his kibble regularly and gained some weight quickly. It seemed as if the Satin Balls served to kick start him back.

If you use Satin Balls, you may want to start with meatball size portions once per day as a snack and gradually increase the amount. so as not to cause digestive upset.

I have also used Bil-Jac Frozen if that is available. Later in the summer, he went back to only eating one meal per day. So, instead of the Satin Balls, I mixed in a small amount of Frozen Bil-Jac to his feed and he ate with enthusiasm.

ESetterLove

Post by ESetterLove » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:41 pm

Hello,
don't mean to hijack the post. But I just wan't to say after seeing those pictures I know I am not over reacting about my dog now. That is exactly how my setter came back looking after 2 months with a trainer! Judging by the comments about your dogs condition I know for sure that this is not thin and in shape as the trainer told us. This is starvation.
Thanks for the post!

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:56 pm

Mine came back real skinny from the trainer but not that skinny. She was a little too skinny for my preference but I was able to get her right back to her normal self. I think it was just an issue of her not doing particularlly well on the food they were feeding her. It was a good food just not good for her. She was a little skinnier than I like and her coat looked horrible. I also know how much they were feeding her and it was about the same caloric intake as she was getting with me though she was doing a lot more work on a daily basis. I wouldnt hesitate to send another dog to them though.