Dogfood Going Up, Up, Up

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Dogfood Going Up, Up, Up

Post by Greg Jennings » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:56 pm

Bought 50 (yes, 50) lbs of ProPlan Adult Chicken and Rice this afternoon for $28.93 including tax. That's about $5 more than the last time I bought PP there. I think it's still a good price in a relative sense, though.

Fuel is impacting everything. Can't wait till the day that we get past fossil oil and tell OPEC to drink it.

Greg J.

nj gsp

Re: Dogfood Going Up, Up, Up

Post by nj gsp » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:59 pm

One of our older dogs is on Science Diet KD. I bought a 40# bag at the vet today and it was over $80. That's about 12% more than last time, apparently all due to grains and fuel price increases.

We pay about $40 a bag for the ProPlan Performance too.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:13 pm

Greg: Add $13.00 on your price for the same bag in Canada ( ON ) plus 15 percent tax . Why?? Our dollars are about par now aren't they?
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:23 pm

Sharon wrote:Greg: Add $13.00 on your price for the same bag in Canada ( ON ) plus 15 percent tax . Why?? Our dollars are about par now aren't they?
I wonder if I just get a really good price on the PP here. Canidae, I noticed, was $48 for 40 lbs.

Have you noticed an sharp upward trend?

Greg J.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:22 pm

yep first increase has been finishing

i was told it was gonna go up about 5 bucks a bag by mid to late summer
:evil:

wish the truckers wuld all park right where they are at and strike
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:32 pm

I woul bet we have seen most of the increase for a while but no one knows where the markets will go to with all of the flooding here in the midwest. And fuel will continue to be the main problem. I guess we could just shut all the trucks down and let China have all of the petroleum and then we could buy all of our ingredients from them. But some how it seems smarter to me to start drilling and refining our oil, however with congress dragging their feet on even wanting the prices to come down till after the election we will see little effort to increase our supply in the near future.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:46 pm

ark and strike...has nothing to do with give everything up

doing our own oil well gees now that just makes to much sense
But i ahve to question ..there are a bunch of oil wells going up and gas wells through out Texas and Kansas and oklahoma....yes brand new ground pumpers as I call them and they are in motion

and the natrual gas the ranch we lease in texas has had 12 put in since dec much less the properties surrounding the lease we are on

but there will be another part before summers over...that is what the food dustributer was explaining to us...the feed companies tried not to do one big jump....and yes it really effects us we feed over a bag a day and a quality food with out the quality price is what we look for. ...having that many dogs you can get a real good idea of what food do what and what is worth the money and what is over priced for what it offeres besides a name brand

so expect about another 2-3 dollar increase by winter specially since they can use the floods as an excuse now...just like the fuel with hurricane katrina hit...i mean come on it isn't the first time a hurricane has done damage down there never had a serious price hike ..then it was heating cost that are cauing the high price

they sure can come up with some poor excuses

but they are the big companies and they are telling us who has control
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:59 pm

Katrina only knocked out way over half of our refineries and yes that is the first time that had happened. And those big oil companiesw better keep making a profit or mine as well as most 401K plans will be in serious trouble. Believe those filty rich oil companies made 12 cents a share last dididend and historically earn about the same amount as tha car industry and the other big manufactures make. Please be thankful we have had the companies with the experience and know how to help every country in the world bring their oil reserves on to the market or we would be in real trouble. We maybe already since MOBIL-Exxon has decided to get out of the retail market because of the lack of profits. Around here most of their stattions were already sold but in some parts of the country it willbe a big impact.

All in all, we know prices are up because supply is down and demand is high whether we are talking corn or fuel. I think that is how the free market works. Supply and demand sets prices.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:27 am

Sharon wrote:Greg: Add $13.00 on your price for the same bag in Canada ( ON ) plus 15 percent tax . Why?? Our dollars are about par now aren't they?
15% tax. Holy Moly!

SGJ

h20fwlkillr

Post by h20fwlkillr » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:36 am

Greg Jennings wrote:
I wonder if I just get a really good price on the PP here. Canidae, I noticed, was $48 for 40 lbs.

Greg J.
I have to pay $39 for 37.5# bag of PP here. Your price is very good.
ImageImageImageImage

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:06 am

Greg Jennings wrote:

Greg J.

No. It's been about the same price for a long time.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:09 am

Greg Jennings wrote:
15% tax. Holy Moly!

SGJ

7 percent provincial
8 percent federal (GST)

on almost every product up here. Next election will hopefully take care of the GST

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:04 pm

15% isnt bad, heck we have 8% sales tax in Kansas. Then tack on the property, luxury, income state/federal, self employment, gas tax, cigarettes, beer, frachise fees, death tax, etc, etc, etc. :roll:
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:24 pm

Greg Jennings wrote:Bought 50 (yes, 50) lbs of ProPlan Adult Chicken and Rice this afternoon for $28.93 including tax. That's about $5 more than the last time I bought PP there. I think it's still a good price in a relative sense, though.

Fuel is impacting everything. Can't wait till the day that we get past fossil oil and tell OPEC to drink it.

Greg J.
Haven't seen the 50lb bags, are you buying them at a feed store? The only ones I have seen are the 37.5lb bags and I've heard they are reducing the weight to 34lbs.

Coveyrise64
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI R.I.P. 4/29/05-12/18/18

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

Crystal kennels

Post by Crystal kennels » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:23 pm

Greg if you get it for that price consider yourself lucky. I bought the few I could find 50 lbs bags of PP and they were $36.99. The regular cost here for a 37.5 lb bag is 33.99............

Yes I heard they are dropping the weights to 34 pounds also.........

Judy
German Shorthaired pointers proven on wild birds and in competition

mtlee

Post by mtlee » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:52 pm

h20fwlkillr wrote:
Greg Jennings wrote:

Greg J.
I have to pay $39 for 37.5# bag of PP here. Your price is very good.
x2 :evil:

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:16 am

Yesterday I went to a feed store near my work where I used to trade for 8 years when I lived in that area. I had not been in the store in 5 years.

Anyway they are a Diamond dealer and I was looking for Diamond Naturals line of food. They also have the biggest selection of many other brands that smaller pet stores don't carry. I wasn't surprised at the prices... Canidae was the new normal #34.99 of 40# with a $2 off instant off coupon on the bag.

In the back of the store where all the dog food is displayed, I found NUTRA NUGGETS which I know is made by Diamond and exactly the same formula as the regular Diamond line. NUTRA NUGGETS Super Premium formula in 50# was $24.99, it is the same as Diamond Premium Adult. They also had the Nutra Nuggets Professional 30/20, Lamb Rice, & Maint. formulas too. I asked the cashier up front where the Diamond Naturals was as I didn't see it in the back. She said OH, it's probably in the Warehouse right through those glass doors. The warehouse is a huge barn type building connected to the store. Yep there it was plenty of Diamond Naturals and plenty of Nutra Nuggets brand along with others but no Diamond brand food. I found that strange. Any of you guys/gals find NUTRA NUGGETS at your feed stores? http://www.nutranuggets.com

I grabed the 40# bag of Diamond Naturals Chicken/Rice (27.99) and headed for the cashier. While I was paying I mentioned they would probably sell more Diamond Naturals if they would put some in the store and not hide it in the warehouse where no one can find it. She smiled and nodded but I just don't think she really "GOT IT".
If I had not asked I would have walked out thinking they didn't have it.

Having said that .... I think it has everything to do with floor space availability in the store and the section for dog/cat food was jam packed full of product. Shelves were plenty full of their unique selection of brands. Plenty of Nutro, Eagle Pack, Solid Gold, Diamond Naturals, Nutra Nuggets, Prarie, Instinct grain free, and much more I can't remember.

One thing they don't sell is Iams/Eukanuba, Science Diet, Purina/Pro Plan as both Petco and PetsMart in that area carry those. It was an interesting time at the old feed store.

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:24 pm

Mike B~I remember the "good 'ol days" when those kind of places were the only place that you could find Euk, PP, and Science Diet. Boy how times have changed. These big box type of stores came in and put most of the small guys out of business :cry: :evil: . At first they sold these products at a lower price, and then once the little guys were out of the way, they jacked the prices up, and now they have people by the b@lls. Too bad for the consumer. I think it's sad.

Doug

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:09 pm

Coveyrise64 wrote:
Greg Jennings wrote:Bought 50 (yes, 50) lbs of ProPlan Adult Chicken and Rice this afternoon for $28.93 including tax. That's about $5 more than the last time I bought PP there. I think it's still a good price in a relative sense, though.

Greg J.
Haven't seen the 50lb bags, are you buying them at a feed store? The only ones I have seen are the 37.5lb bags and I've heard they are reducing the weight to 34lbs.

Coveyrise64
Nope, it's an independent pet supply place. They have the normal sized bags on the shelf. I never look at them. They'll have the 50 lb bags piled in the isle with a bright orange "special" tag on them. That's the only stop I make in the place. If they don't have the special, I just leave and come back another day (or get Exceed at Sam's).

Greg J.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:11 am

I remember back in the 1980's I would buy Nutra Nuggets Lamb/rice at Price Club before Costco merged or bought them out. Around $15 for 40#. Nutra Nuggets was made by Diamond under contract for Price Club only, in the day. Some stores had the Puppy and some had the Professional formulas too. When Costco took over they soon discontinued Nutra Nuggets for their Kirkland house brand. But the customers every where complained so much loudly they brought back only the Lamb/Rice. So now even today at Costco they have Nutra Nuggets Lamb/rice along with the Kirkland Chicken/Rice and Lamb/Rice.

I understand back then that Costco released their contract with Diamond for Nutra Nuggets brand so the Diamond Dealers could carry it although it was exactly the same as the Diamond brand formula. Diamond make their Kirkland formulas today.

claybuster_aa

Post by claybuster_aa » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:07 pm

ezzy333 wrote:All in all, we know prices are up because supply is down and demand is high whether we are talking corn or fuel. I think that is how the free market works. Supply and demand sets prices.Ezzy
Generally speaking yes, but not this time around. This is about institutional investors and speculators targeting oil futures with low 5% margins. Must be nice to control 100,000 worth or oil for only 5% down. When the balance comes due...sell and reinvest. Our increases in gas and oil have little to do with drilling and a lot to do with investing. Supply and demand IMO has little to do with our current prices.

There must be a real shortage of #2 heating oil and kerosene.... the price is moving up in the summer heat. See my point, it doesn't matter right now about the supply or the demand, this is about investing and making money, not drilling.

Force the investors to come up with 50% of the cash instead of 5%, and that barrel will come tumbling. They refuse to do that (increase margins) because both sides of the fence have their hands in cookie jar.

Charlie
A good bird dog is always the right color

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:51 pm

Claybuster,

I always try to invest in heating oil this time of year as I know it will get short this winter. When demand gets high will be a good time to sell and make some money. Ifyou could convince me the supply will be greater thanthe demand I would find something better to invest in. Right now everyone is investing in oil as it is easy to see what is happening withdemand going through the roof and we are refusing to drill or even explore to find more. If they opened up this country tomorrow for drilling you would see oil come downseveral dollars within a week. You just don't put your retirement funds in a place where you aren't sure what the supply will be in the future.

Ezzy

claybuster_aa

Post by claybuster_aa » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:45 pm

You just don't put your retirement funds in a place where you aren't sure what the supply will be in the future.
I agree with you there Ezzy, some of these institutional investors are the corporate and government pension plans, sovereign wealth funds, etc., and when the bottom falls out (which it eventually will) and the barrel starts falling, next thing you know a politician will start talking bailout for all these folks that get hosed. Just like they talk about the bailouts for the moneylenders in mortgages.
A good bird dog is always the right color

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:22 am

I can't believe Big Steve hasn't gotten on this thread and told you how much your are overpaying for dog food. :D It's still early yet...... :lol:
We have done something with nothing for so long we are now qualified to do everything with anything....

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=275

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=520

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:51 am

As an aside, both of my dogs got very loose on the new bag of PP and I had to put it aside. Spent the diesel to drive to Sam's and get a bag of Exceed. Both dogs are back doing well. First problem that I've had with PP. I've always stuck to it because I had such consistent results. Now, I'm a little at sea about what to do from here....

Greg J.

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:34 pm

Buckeye, My Pappy used to say, "A fool and his money are soon parted!" 8)
big steve

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:31 pm

Tractor Suupply had 40 lb bags of pro plan this week for $32.00...each bag had a $4.00 off sticker. Then take another $7.00 per bag off for purina checks and a 10% discount from TSC cupon I got in the mail. Add tax and your not far off .50 per pound. Do you approve Steve? :)

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:50 am

I approve Charles. However, I'm too big to jump thru all those hoops. I will admit to using $2 oof coupons on Diamond food last year. :)
big steve

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:11 am

big steve46 wrote:Buckeye, My Pappy used to say, "A fool and his money are soon parted!" 8)
Snicker: You don't known Buckeye very well. He might not have the first buck he ever made, but I know that he has the second!

Greg J.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:09 pm

Share the wealth Big Steve, where can I find Diamond Coupons (short of running my own illegal printing press :lol: ). Denise

mtlee

Post by mtlee » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:06 pm

I reached my breaking point...went to Superpetz on Friday and Pro Plan Performance was 42.99 for a 37.5# bag. I walked out with a 50# bag of Diamond Hi Energy for 18.99!

mtlee

Post by mtlee » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:08 pm

wems2371 wrote:Share the wealth Big Steve, where can I find Diamond Coupons (short of running my own illegal printing press :lol: ). Denise
I was actually told today by a friend that The American Field puts Diamond coupons in their newspaper/magazine .... something like $3.00 off a bag I believe.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:15 pm

Thanks mtlee--I knew BigSteve wouldn't divulge his secrets. PS--Pup had some bad gas when we switched 10 month old over from pup chow to Diamond Premium. It lasted about 10 days, but she's adjusted now, and we can breath. Probably would've happened with any food switch, but I just wanted to warn you :P . Denise

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:38 pm

Denise and mtlee, Sorry, I've been gone a lot lately. I'm such a popular guy, and I know it's tough on so many of you with me being gone. PDJ had coupons, but I haven't seen any lately. Also, Perhaps AF still has them. I've never took AF, but I need to. mtlee, next time around, get the Premium rather than the HiE, as it's sl better. :D
big steve

Astarias

Post by Astarias » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:36 pm

There are alternatives out there. Check out Smart Dog Foods. Some pretty amazing stuff there.
Last edited by Astarias on Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mtlee

Post by mtlee » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:52 pm

big steve46 wrote:mtlee, next time around, get the Premium rather than the HiE, as it's sl better. :D
I'll have to see if they have that one. I may get the extreme athlete during hunting season. Seems impossible to keep weight on them then...

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:14 pm

Astarias wrote:This actually could be a good kick in the rear for people to learn more about how to feed their dogs properly. Check out Smart Dog Foods. Some pretty amazing stuff there.

Your link doesn't seem to be working but I think most people are feeding their dogs pretty good. I seee this is your first post so welcome to the board. Hope you enjoy and learn.

Ezzy

Astarias

Post by Astarias » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:28 pm

Yea sorry, my tone was crappy. Edited the post.

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:47 pm

mtlee, If I worked my Setter hard in season, I might feed Diamond Performance which is between Premium and Extreme, but I can't see the need for the extra expense of Extreme. For most hunting dogs, the Premium is all they need. Other good brands have comparable products by the way. Once you get past the Premium level, you reach a point of diminishing return.
big steve

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:56 pm

If you google up "smart dog food", you encounter some unscientific, paranoid opinions! I do believe we need to pay attention to how our dogs do on any food as the dog can show toxicity and intolerances that most don't look for, but neither do you want to be a "chicken little" and be paranoid of products that work well most of the time. Of course, if you are mainly just trying to market good but very expensive feed, then I guess we have to consider the source. :roll:
big steve

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:12 pm

Astarias wrote:There are alternatives out there. Check out Smart Dog Foods. Some pretty amazing stuff there.
I just can't think of a nice way to say this so I will just say that article is about as close to pure garbage as any I have ever seen. It is nothing more than a poor excuse to try and sell their products and the first step is to call everyone else a liar starting with your dogfood company. It has to be a hard sell though when dogs are performing better, living longer, and are healthier than they have ever been. I admit there are many dogs that are over fed to the point that the owners are always looking for some new feed that there dog will like better when in reality all they need to do is cut back on what they are feeding. Hungry dogs seldom have any problems with any commercial dog food. But over fed dogs continue to have bowel problems, weight problems, yeast problem, and lack of appetite problems. Theere is no other way to explain it when you see 90% of the problems cropping up in the one dog babied house pet area and almost never in a kennel or outside dog that is working.

Just makes me wonder how anyone could put that garbage out and how anyone would believe it.

Ezzy

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:51 pm

Ezzy, In human nutrition, health professionals need to be more knowledgeable and open minded about nutrition, including allergies, intolerances, chemicals, and over-processing. Also RDAs are too low for optimum health. That said, your average good dog food is already superior comparativle speaking to what most humans feed themselves as they are not overly processed and are not loaded with sugar and fat. However, some people are absolute nuts when it comes to hyping certain dog food! I know we love our pets and companions, but after all, they are DOGS, not humans!
big steve

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:59 pm

That site is the worst scare tactic advertisement that I've ever seen....

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:26 pm

Greg Jennings wrote:
Coveyrise64 wrote:

Greg J.

Coveyrise64
Nope, it's an independent pet supply place. They have the normal sized bags on the shelf. I never
look at them. They'll have the 50 lb bags piled in the isle with a bright orange "special" tag on them. That's the only stop I make in the place. If they don't have the special, I just leave and come back another day (or get Exceed at Sam's).

Greg J.

Went by Petco to check out their Pro-Plan sale and ....boy was I shocked!!! The price has gone up $6.00 a bag in three months to $39.00. The last price I paid was $33.00 with $6.00 off per bag sale price and another 10% off for buying 200lbs or about $24.50 a bag, plus after the 10th bag you get one free. I might have to start turning my three out and see if they will graze a little. :lol:

Coveyrise64
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI R.I.P. 4/29/05-12/18/18

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:46 pm

Just discovered to-day that I can save $5.00 a bag here in Ontario if I buy 10 bags of Pro Plan Performance. That 'll take me from $400.00 for 10 bags to $350.00 . That'll give me $50.00 to feed the car instead of a dog.

GSP_girl

Post by GSP_girl » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:58 pm

OH yes the dreaded dog food day....(thats what I call it when its time to buy more food)
I feed Solid Gold and it runs me $60 for 33lbs.... :roll:

bobman

Post by bobman » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:36 pm

I just left Purina One lamb and Rice for exceed, saves aboout 10.00 a bag. I got tired of the hoops I have to jump thru to get the pro coupons.

I am going to kill 12 deer this year and grind them, cook them, freeze and use them to supplement the kibble.

I quit big game hunting a few years ago but I'm taking it back up. I'll keep the best cuts for Bob. :wink:
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:03 pm

Prices are still going up and the bag sizes are going down

from 33.1 pound to 35 pound ..many of the 50 are now 44 pounds or 37.5 and a 30.3 what has been about 18 for 50 pounds is 21.00 for 44 pounds

and the last I heard on talk radio was there is a surplus of corn so what gives

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:16 pm

Knine,

Corn had little to do with the raise in price. Fuel is the main cost. It is costing more for shipping than the ingredients in some cases.Transportation of the ingredients, transportation of the finished product and transportation of the paper , transportation of the paper bags. When it takes 2000 dollars to fill your truck someone has to pay the costs.

Remember 13 years ago when Clinton vetoed drilling in Anwr because it would take 10 years for it to help. And they are still singing the same song. And all the time we just keep paying the price.

Ezzy

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:15 pm

Transportation costs are a big factor. Freight just keeps on going up. I retail dog food and the wholesaler just cut out paying the freight. They have discounted all their food but everyone pays their own freight bill - no more freight averaging. I just ordered today so I will find out in a few days what the hit will be for getting the food to me - not sure if my freight bill is more or less than the discount they are offering for the previous average cost of freight.