Looking For Good treats....

JordiLa

Looking For Good treats....

Post by JordiLa » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:39 pm

I was wondering what kind of treats people are using in there training and as rewards for there puppies. I have a 12 wk. pup and I know his stomach is probally still sensative. So many choices out there, what you guys using?

PS. some one said that they could chew on pigs ears, I find that hard to believe at such a young age ....you tell me.
If you turn the imagination loose like a hunting dog, it will often return with a bird in its mouth! (william maxwell)

MikeB

Re: Looking For Good treats....

Post by MikeB » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:43 pm

Training treats can be as simple as the dry food you feed everyday. Most dogs that will eat anything will eat their dog food as training treats. I have used small cut up hotdogs, chicken, bits of string cheese, soft liver treats. Training treats I prefer are soft, easy to chew quickly and smell really good. Bil-Jac liver treats work really well too. I have used a ton of them over the years with my clients pups.

Chew toys are different than treats. With all the hundreds of items you can purchase I keep it simple and safe. I only use Raw beef bones, white steralized marrow bones, KONG toys I can stuff with food treats, and Nylabones in all shapes and sizes as the pup grows.

rockllews

Post by rockllews » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:26 pm

With the exception of the cheese which we just don't use, the things MikeB mentioned I'll have to second. His chew toy/treats are basically what I'd recommend- we especially like the raw beef bones (if you live near a butcher, rancher, or custom meat packer, they might sell 'dog bones') and KONGS. But for training like he said, a kibble that's not his normal meal and good smellin' stuff, quality stuff.... I've read that the soft grocery/supermarket treats (beggin' strips, carry outs, the like) are not good/healthy for dogs- maybe someone has some better or contrary info on that. Another treat I like, though probably a little too crunchy for quick training treats, are the dehydrated/high heat processed pure strips of chicken that we buy at Costco; they're about $12/bag so I can't quite figure out the catch if there is one, but they sure smell good and haven't caused any problems.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:41 am

I seldom if ever use training treats. Finding a bird is their treat or retrieving it after you have shot. I don't want a pup to think it gets a treat for doing something good. A pat on the head or a "Good Boy" are the treats normally used for all of the dogs.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:08 am

I will be the first one to agree that using treats for actual gun dog training would not be the norm with most trainers. I agree with Ezzy that the bird should be the motivating factor. BUT... Training young pups basic obedience can be highly productive using a little food to help motivate if used properly with plenty of praise and wean off he food when the pup learns the exercise. I use most of the treats and biscuits for stuffing the KONGS or toys like them for my dog to chew on when in the kennel or crate so they have something to do.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:41 am

MikeB wrote:I will be the first one to agree that using treats for actual gun dog training would not be the norm with most trainers. I agree with Ezzy that the bird should be the motivating factor. BUT... Training young pups basic obedience can be highly productive using a little food to help motivate if used properly with plenty of praise and wean off he food when the pup learns the exercise. I use most of the treats and biscuits for stuffing the KONGS or toys like them for my dog to chew on when in the kennel or crate so they have something to do.
I agree Mike, I just seldon do it since most of the handling I do with them is around their feeding time or maybe when walking by coming from the yard or the garden so I don't have the treats with me.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

rockllews

Post by rockllews » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:30 am

I don't typically use training treats with gun dog work either.... But for obedience and pups, I do use them off and on.