E.I.C. test??

Gundogs/Nebraska

E.I.C. test??

Post by Gundogs/Nebraska » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:45 am

Could anyone tell me if there is a test available to the public to test your own dog for the E.I.C. carried gene?

And if it is available, where can a person get one or does a Vet have to draw blood to test for this type of carrier??

Thanks for any information.
HRCH UH Ramblin Man's Jade of Honor MH
HR Platte Valley's Play Girl SH
Platte Valley's Joy Ride JR

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Re: E.I.C. test??

Post by lvrgsp » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:35 am

Tony,
As far as I know there is no genetic marker yet for the EIC gene to identify a carrier, but I do believe there is a test to see if your dog is affected with the disease, and not sure on the test available for the public yet either.
Chip

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:57 am

Had never heard of it. Google Time. Looks like it's big in labs.

Greg J.

Gundogs/Nebraska

Post by Gundogs/Nebraska » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:00 pm

lvrgsp wrote:Tony,
As far as I know there is no genetic marker yet for the EIC gene to identify a carrier, but I do believe there is a test to see if your dog is affected with the disease, and not sure on the test available for the public yet either.
Chip
Thanks Chip. I sure would like to know if it is going to be available to the public. I have a female that I want to have bred here soon and I sure don't want this being a road block an moving the pups.

Gundogs/Nebraska

Post by Gundogs/Nebraska » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:05 pm

Greg Jennings wrote:Had never heard of it. Google Time. Looks like it's big in labs.

Greg J.
Greg,

Yes it is big in Labs. I personally haven't owned a dog with the disorder, but there are video's out there showing what it is and does. And let me tell you, I sure don't want a dog with it. It doesn't look very comforting. Poor dogs.

All I know is that it is genetic. I don't know if they have narrowed it down to particular bloodlines or particular blood types. I also know that in the beginning they were only testing dogs with the disorder, but to my knowledge the testing is just about completed or has been completed to where they know where the disorder is coming from.

If you find anything else out, would you please pass on the information.

Thanks,,,,

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:07 pm

Will do!

Greg J.

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:49 pm

Yea we are getting back to the carrier vs affected thing, and like many heriditary defects, both parents must be a carrier of the gene, for a pup to be affected. Here is something more on it Tony.

http://www.highbrasskennels.com/articles/EIC.html

Chip

Update:
Tony,

they have the marker identified, it is has not been made public yet, the test is not available commercially, as of yet, but they do have the test and identified a marker, it should be available this year commercially

Chip

WildRose

Post by WildRose » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:06 pm

This may be of some help. You can probably contact them for more details as far as when the test might be available. CR

http://www.vdl.umn.edu/vdl/ourservices/ ... /home.html
There's a reason I like dogs better'n people

vern3

Post by vern3 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:16 pm

Yes it is coming to the surface in labs. The univ. of Minn. just finishing doing prelim. testing on field trial labs and show labs. They wrapped up their first line of testing July 01. They are in the process of coming online with a test hopefully within the next couple of months for public use. Their is big discussion as far as some dogs only being carriers and others passing it along to offspring. Dogs with this issue somewhat resemble a dog with heat related problems, ie they have wobbly rear ends and loss of motor skills, the time of the episodes vary from dog to dog. The affected dog will usually regain all senses after a short time. Dogs affected have varying degrees of onset, some after just one retrieve some after a more strenuous workout.

Gundogs/Nebraska

Post by Gundogs/Nebraska » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:36 am

WildRose wrote:This may be of some help. You can probably contact them for more details as far as when the test might be available. CR

http://www.vdl.umn.edu/vdl/ourservices/ ... /home.html
Thanks Charlie..

Gundogs/Nebraska

Post by Gundogs/Nebraska » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:40 am

Thanks to everyone who has posted on here. I got the information that I was looking for.

It's too bad that a man's best friend has to be tested for so many different things. I love my Labs and always will, but it seems to me that there are more and more inherited and/or genetic disorders in this breed of dog.. :(

Thanks again everyone..