Neutering an Adult and it's effect

luke0927

Neutering an Adult and it's effect

Post by luke0927 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:55 pm

I have and adult GSP who is just a hunting dog he came from a registered litter but i got him second hand and did not get his papers...I have been thinking more and more about neutering him as it just on less chance that their could be an accident with my female and him and my other male like to go at it. If i fix him now will he still keep his muscle definition, and his high drive and energy......it just seems like if a male lost testosterone they wouldn't want to do anything .

Brittguy

Re: Neutering an Adult and it's effect

Post by Brittguy » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:41 pm

I knew of a dog that was neutered as an adult because of cancer. It made no difference in his hunting.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:27 pm

How old is your adult male? I can't believe there would be much change in his hunting ability if he is fully trained and over 2 yrs. old.

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:05 am

Muscle tone should not decrease so long as the dog is exercised regularly, but that would be the same whether the dog was neutered or not.

From what I have witnessed, drive and energy in the field as well as hunting ability should not change at all. The only changes that you may see is little or no marking and the willingness to roam. Depending on the dog you may also see less aggressiveness toward other males. These are just generalizations of course and individuals with bad temperaments may not change much at all after being neutered.

luke0927

Post by luke0927 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:13 am

He is around 5 years old....I think i will schedule him i think it would help out a lot.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:59 am

I always wondered why neutering is pushed so heavily and you never hear about vasectomy as an option.

Greg J.

luke0927

Post by luke0927 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:54 pm

Greg Jennings wrote:I always wondered why neutering is pushed so heavily and you never hear about vasectomy as an option.

Greg J.
That would be good for not having unwanted pregnacy but wouldn't really help some of the other reasons you might want to get a male fix.....Not sure what i want to do.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:31 pm

I understand it not helping the dominance issues.

What I don't understand is it NEVER being offered as an option at all. Especially considering what we hear about the higher incidence of ACL and other athletic-type injuries in hard-working dogs.

Greg J.

gwgdog66

Post by gwgdog66 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:05 pm

luke0927 wrote:He is around 5 years old....I think i will schedule him i think it would help out a lot.
He is probably as fully developed physically as he is going to get. It shouldn't affect him any in the hunting/prey drive area.