First heat.... when??

gar-dog

First heat.... when??

Post by gar-dog » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:31 am

My pup is 11 months old and has yet to go into heat. I am hoping this happens asap as opposed to during hunting season. I have notice lately she is paying a little more attention "down there" - occassional licking and a little scooting. Are these good signs?
Thanks,
Gary

Karen
GDF Junkie

Re: First heat.... when??

Post by Karen » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:38 am

Chloe came in when she was around a year old. Tessa came in at 15 months for the first time, although we suspect she may have had a silent heat before that. She's been like clockwork every since...every 6 months. May & November.

Have you dabbed Ginger with a tissue to see if she's discharging? Some bitches keep themselves so clean you don't even realize they're in season (and some don't).
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:59 am

can be any time after about 6 month to as late as 24 months

most will come in between 9 and 15 months
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:04 am

With my luck it will be during my NH trip in October :(

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:12 am

Didn't anyone tell you? If you buy a bitch to hunt with, they will undoubtedly come into season a week before the most expensive trip you have planned every single year. If you buy a bitch to trial with, they'll come in a week before Nationals. All boys for me from now on!
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:26 pm

It doesnt matter really, I have a bitch that just had her first litter at 5. I bought her when she was 3, never came into heat on her own. They will come into heat when they are ready so let mother nature take its course and dont worry about it. :wink: Good luck!
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:02 am

Buffy had her first season at 22 months, and it lasted 5+ weeks. Since then, she's gone every 9 months pretty regularly.
TomBoy had her first season at right around 12 months.
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

GrimmReaper

Post by GrimmReaper » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:38 pm

gar-dog wrote: a little scooting. Are these good signs?
I was always told that scooting was a good sign of clogged anal glands. Might want to have you vet check it out because once they become impacted its no fun. If she has been having loose stools this is probably the case.

Equismith

Post by Equismith » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:46 pm

Hey gar,

Libby will be 1 year old the 23rd of Aug. She just finished her first heat cycle about two weeks ago. I think she may have had a silent one about two months ago, but I'm not sure.

I'm still debating the spay route. Right now I'm leaning towards spaying. After her first "season" of hunting (loosely used term, mind you), I'll have it figured out if I want her to have a litter of pups of her own. I've got to check on the grouse populations with some of the regional biologists to see where we might go this fall. Otherwise it's dove and pen raised quail only :|