Ouch!

gwgdog66

Ouch!

Post by gwgdog66 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:35 am

My male had an unfortunate run in with a wire fence pannel. The fence pannel won that round. I wish the little joker would at least act like he is hurt and lay around a little bit more. The vet had to do 4 layers of stiches to get him sewn back up.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Ouch!

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:43 am

I always cringe with barbed wire horses and dog when they get into that stuff..it sure isn't pretty

actually saw a pointer a couple years ago that one of those rare cases got tetanus from an altercation with some old barbed wire

in over 30 plus years of vet practice it was the first dog with tetanus my vet treated

Hope the healing process is quick and clean with no complications
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

gwgdog66

Post by gwgdog66 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:50 am

Yea I do too. He is doing a lot better then I expected.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:00 am

A friend of our who guides for us has GSP's
one day he came out with his brother in law...now when he takes clients out he goes over safety rules how to hold the guns in the feild etc etc well he didn't go over these with his Brother in law and guess what

the brother i law was holding the gun down with the finger near teh trigger dog bumped the barrel of the gun and Boom

now the dog was lucky he had a bit of a face peel and they wrapped it up rushed to the club house I jumped into the truck with them and we headed to the vet

I looked and observed his GSp ...
1 He was alert and looking around

yes there was a lot of blood but i told them to keep the head wrapped in the shirt

2 i lifted the dogs lip ...pressed pink came right back no signs of shock

plus had they hit something vital the dog would have never made it off the field

So I turned to my friend and said He is a GSP he will be just fine...My friend looked at me in a bit of confusion

I told him his dog was not shocking out was alert

The dog was lucky the pellets missed any vital nerves he has a scar and a piece of his ear missing but less then 3 weeks later had the dog out hunting again

So When I say them GSP's are tough....they do seem to bounce back quickly :wink:

looks like the vet did a decent job of work there keep it clean and dry is the hardest part
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

gwgdog66

Post by gwgdog66 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:55 pm

Will had the drain tube pulled out today. The doc was very plesed with how he was looking. The stiches come out next week. He was cleared to start spending a few hours a day outside :D

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:43 pm

that is good news