If it wasn't for bad luck...

Luke's Guide

If it wasn't for bad luck...

Post by Luke's Guide » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:12 pm

My 7 year old gsp just can't get a break. She is finally getting back to 100% after a blown acl. Second one in a year.

Then last Saturday I had her running at a local dog park. Great day, she's doing really well. We are literally walking back to the car when she yelps and pulls up her GOOD back leg. Oh man. When I check her foot my hand gets covered in blood. I finally find a puncture wound up high between her toes. By Sunday afternoon it is obviously infected.

When I got her home from the park after the incident, I thoroughly flushed the puncture and did my best to check for any foreign matter. Nothing there that I can find. Got her to the vet Monday asap and the vet pretty much did the same thing. Flushed it and gave it a good once over to check if anything was in there. Now we are on antibiotics and an antibiotic wash.

Opening day in 2 weeks. ANY suggestions besides keeping it clean and letting it run its own course on the meds?

Bob
aka Bob

big steve46

Re: If it wasn't for bad luck...

Post by big steve46 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:16 pm

Give her some plain yogurt or probiotics to counter the antibiotic bad effects. You don't want diarrhea at the beginning of hunting season.
big steve

Luke's Guide

Post by Luke's Guide » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:55 pm

Ok, makes sense.

As a a kid I remember having to drink buttermilk after taking some antibiotics for some reason.
aka Bob

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:21 pm

I would suggest hunting with someone that has a couple of Brits. :P

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:53 pm

Should heal up good on antibiotics. If it is not 100% by hunting time you could get a dog boot to put on it, or make your own with innertube rubber and duck tape :D I had my Amos to the vet total of 3 times in a month before the Nat'ls run last week :( Had an unknown fever, round of antibiotics and bloodwork...then a big lump came up in his neck, seemed to be a granuloma from unknown object (maybe inbedded briar).........then ran a staub in his foot...had to put him under, xray, see if there was anything in there. Ugh! Another round of antibiotics...Just figure it could all be worse :wink:
brenda

Luke's Guide

Post by Luke's Guide » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:41 am

Sounds like a good idea Ezzy. I owe you a hunt at my club. Might be a bit of a drive for you though.

Your right Snips. It could be worse. Seems like she's getting it all at once. Two knees and this. I just hope she remembers how to walk without a limp.
aka Bob

Petra

Post by Petra » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:33 am

Bob, I'm so sorry about your dog, I hyper vent. as Petra runs through the woods like a bull during grouse hunting. I hope a good boot on her foot will do it.

Luke's Guide

Post by Luke's Guide » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:13 am

Thanks Petra.
aka Bob

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:55 pm

Had it happen in the last 2 minutes of a trial the dog was winning. Had to pick her up. Good lessons on we don't control as much in this world as we think .
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Luke's Guide

Post by Luke's Guide » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:22 pm

The plot thickens. Her toe started to swell this afternoon so she goes under the knife tomorrow morning because it looks like something is definitely in there.

Her ankle was less swollen so the antibiotics seem to be helping overall but the localized swelling in her toe points to a foreign object.
aka Bob

Luke's Guide

Post by Luke's Guide » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:16 pm

Results of surgery.

Two sticks removed from paw. One fragment is 1.5 inches long. The other is 1" long. Hopefully back to 'normal' in a week to 10 days.
aka Bob