Bitch Heat Cycles

Bitch Heat Cycles

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:38 pm

Does anyone know how oftern will by bitch go into heat?

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:10 pm

Most females have their heat cycle every 6 months, altho it can vary some. The first one can be between 6 mo to 2 yrs old.
brenda

Country-Side Breeders

Post by Country-Side Breeders » Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:14 am

Brenda is right, generally every 6 months, however, they are not ready to be bred until the 10-14th day of their cycle. The 1st day of bleeding is the 1st day of the cycle. When she's ready to be bred, she will not leave the stud alone. The stud also knows when the time is right as she will release a different chemical make-up that he will be able to detect. If you don't want your bitch bred, you will need to make sure that she has no contact with males for 3 weeks from the 1st day of bleeding.

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:12 am

Bell 7mo. and Carl 6mo.

I did not fix either dog. They stay in the same pen. I do not want them to mix because I feel that bell is too young and bell is a lot higher caliber dog than carl. I the reason I got two is because I wanted bell to have a play mate. However, Carl may want to play too much if your following me....=)

Should I neuter carl? What is he turns out to be a good dog. Is it possible that other people may want to breed with him? Will neutering him effect his hunting performance?

Country-Side Breeders

Post by Country-Side Breeders » Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:23 am

Neutering will NOT affect his hunting abilities. I've got all 6 in the house with me, both intact and not and all hunt just as well as the other one. If you're not sure about using Carl as a stud, I'd wait. The one male that we have neutered we've since been regretting...great hunter...one of the best we have. However, have both sexes fixed greatly decreases the chances of cancers that they get. If you do decide to have Carl fixed, wait until he's at least a year old...he needs the second 6 months of life to fill out...the first 6 are generally for growing in height. As for Bell, if you do decide to breed her, wait until she's at least 2...she needs that time for maturing herself. It takes a lot out of them and you'll want them in top shape for breeding.

Watch Bell and you'll see when she's starting to come into heat...her temperament will change; not listen, become goofy, flighty, want to wonder off when you let her out of the kennel. Her vulva will also begin to swell before she starts to bleed. Carl will also show more interest in her, licking etc. You will need to seperate them when she does come into heat...they will do just about anything to get at each other but if Bell is more dominant, she may not allow him to mount (she may see him as being lower than her) and it could end in a fight.

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:32 am

Thanks!

I'm sure bell could whoop that tail for carl at this point. Carls going to be a big boy. His feet are huge!

Grant

Country-Side Breeders

Post by Country-Side Breeders » Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:37 am

Once Carl gets bigger, he just might whoop Bell :D , but when it comes to a bitch in heat, the temperament and dominance wins out over size...I've got a 75-80# male that will bow down to my 50# female when she's in heat. Any other time, she's running for cover from his playing antics. Until you go through a heat owning both the male and female, you haven't experienced anything...don't get me wrong, it's a great business to be in, but the bitches are like women...get very temperamental during that time.

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:22 pm

Bell when into her first heat today! My little girl is growing up!

Country-Side Breeders

Post by Country-Side Breeders » Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:28 pm

Congratulations Grant! Make sure you keep her and Carl away from each other until the 2nd week of May. Good luck! I saw your picture of her, she's beautiful!!!

Colleen

Post by Colleen » Wed May 19, 2004 3:50 pm

I have a question. I knew bitches go into heat every 6 months, but if she has had a litter of puppies, will her next heat be 6 months after the pups are born, or 6 months after her previous heat? Just curious, nothing in it for me as I have a neutered male, but I am just anxiously awaiting word that Fletch's mom is pregnant again cause I want my second puppy now now NOW!!! Hahaha. Thanks!

Country-Side Breeders

Post by Country-Side Breeders » Wed May 19, 2004 3:59 pm

A heat cycle generally goes 6 months from heat to heat. Keep in mind that not all bitches are regular and they sometimes get off schedule after litters.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:47 pm

U could have some of carls swimmers froze.

Katies Dad

Post by Katies Dad » Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:31 am

There is a really good article in Pointing dog journal this month that talks about nutering your hunting dogs!

Margaret

Post by Margaret » Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:13 pm

I had my GSP Fred neutered when he was 8 years old.
It made a big difference to his muscle mass.

It also made him an easier dog to live with when the bitches were in heat.

It made no difference to his hunting, though maybe (I'm not sure) it reflected on his stamina. He was after all not a young dog anymore.

Marg