when to switch to adult formula food

shelttc

when to switch to adult formula food

Post by shelttc » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:47 pm

I have a 6 1/2 month old lab pup. He is getting pretty big, pretty fast; ~60-65lbs. He is still very lean, but it got me wondering when the best time to transition to adult formula is. Some friends have said as early as 7 1/2 months and some say as late as 14 to 18 months.

MikeB

Re: when to switch to adult formula food

Post by MikeB » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:57 pm

I would switch now but all depends on what puppy food your are feeding now and what adult food you will switch to. Adult foods that are at least 24/14 or higher are fine for growing lab pups into strong healthy adults. Growing slower is better on their bones.

What are you feeding now?

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:02 pm

I don't feed puppy food
i feed an adult performance food either exceed or pro plan and the first 8-10 weeks will add infant formula to the feed
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:12 pm

There's not much difference between a good Premium adult feed and a puppy feed. K9 is correct. At the most, you could feed puppy feed until the puppy is four months old if it makes you feel better.
big steve

naperdog

Post by naperdog » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:07 pm

my pup is 5 months old and is starting to get pretty active in the field. I have about 20 lbs of puppy food left, is it any big deal to leave him on it until the food is gone?
Should I be feeding him a little more than the recommended amounts?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:24 pm

Yes finish the bag. Sure would not waste it at the cost of feed today.

As far as how much is can only be answered by you and your dog. You are feeding the dog and you need to feed as much as it takes to keep the pup in good shape. I'm feeding three dogs right now all the same feed but each needs a different amount to maintain them. The amount written on the bag is just a quideline as to approx. how much it might take but is not there to tell you how much to feed. Remember, you are not feeding dogfood but are feeding your dog. You give it however much it takes.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.