the dreaded C word....

WiskeyJaR

the dreaded C word....

Post by WiskeyJaR » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:11 pm

Found out yesterday dutchess has cancer :( Waiting on Biopsy result to know if its benign or malignant. Frist of this week I saw a "scrap" on her front ankle, near the dew claw. I thought she just scraped it while running threw the woods. As week went on she kept digging at it and it started looking infected, so took her to see vet.
pic of sore...

Vet took a look under the microscope and said he was seeing both benign and malignant cells, he took a bigger (4MM punch biopsy) sample and sent it off to the vet collage, results due on Monday.

poor girl, fought off a heart murmor as a young pup, now this. :|
WiskeyJaR

3Britts

Re: the dreaded C word....

Post by 3Britts » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:17 pm

Hope everything goes well with the test. I had the same thing happen to a Springer of mine about 15 years ago. When the results came back, it was benign. Hope your dog's is as well. Keep us up to date.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:09 pm

Oh My I am sooo Sorry to hear that :cry:

Hope they can take care of it with surgery..Will be praying for the best
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:50 am

Best wishes for a good result on the biopsy. Setter mojo coming your way!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:00 am

Let us know if it turns out to be cancer or just a benign tumor. I'm betting and sure hope I am right it is just a tumor of some type possibly caused by a thorn or some foriegn object. Let all keep our fingers crossed.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:52 am

My lab had a large hard swelling below the dew claw area a couple years ago, that appeared pretty quickly. We scheduled an appointment to have it opened up and possibly do surgery. My vet took one cut and called to tell me that it was an awful looking black matter and he was very worried, so we chose to operate immediately. I was totally in tears.........and my mind racing during the time. The day after the operation, we got the news that the tissue results came back from the lab and it was benign tumor. I have a feeling it had something to do with a thorn and the hunting we had done a week or two before.

Anyway, Best Wishes for Dutchess and your family. Hopefully it will be nothing serious. I know how it feels to be in limbo emotionally. It is good that you were paying attention, and therefore your vet can react swiftly. Please let us know how it goes. Denise

WiskeyJaR

Post by WiskeyJaR » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:54 pm

THANKS TO ALL FOR THE GOOD THOUGHTS......

Just got a call from my vet, biopsy says its benign, AND IT SHOULD HEAL AND GO AWAY ON OWN. The vet school said no need to operate.

The vet called it a "histiocytoma tumor" and is currently recessing on its own.

Whew what a relief,
WiskeyJaR

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:03 pm

Thats good news but exactly what I would have bet a lot of money on. The chances of a lump in that kind of a location is normally going to be due to an injury and if discover early and treeated when necessary seldom results in a cancerous mass. Specially when a dog is as young as yours. It bothers me a little if the vet was the one to even suggest cancer without any indication it was. You or no one else deserves to be scared till there is pretty substantial evidence that it really is cancer.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.