Staph Infection

huntertobe

Staph Infection

Post by huntertobe » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:44 pm

Hey, is there any draw backs on getting a dog that had a staph infection when about 2 wks old? Is there something harmful that i should be cautious about getting, like it reoccurring or anything?

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Staph Infection

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:56 pm

Maybe dog dr can help with this one...but for me ..I would be leary ..I would be very concerned that there would be a likelihood of getting it again.
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:29 pm

Was it a skin problem? If the pup got right over it ok and everything looked good I think it would be fine.
brenda

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:40 pm

I don't think it has a thing to do with the dog. Staph infections are quite common in people as well as other animals. Once it is cured then it wouldn't be any further problem. However, it or any other dog could get it again if they come in contact with it.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Duane M

Post by Duane M » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:27 pm

I don't know about in dogs but with humans the type of Staph can make a huge difference. Sorry Ezzy but this is gonna go totally against your post BTW. Internal staphs can lead to a lifetime of being very careful with yourself, externals are not as bad about reccurence as long as good hygeine is practiced in all areas from bedding to clothing(clothing in humans of course not dogs :wink: ). We had an outbreak of Staph E at the school last winter, I got it myself in my right thumb from a crush into the mat by a knee. No fun taking the antibiotic they prescribed let me tell ya it really messed up my digestive system before I started taking a probiotic and eating yogurt every day. Staphs like MRSA and Type A can be tricky especially MRSA which really attacks the immune system in the worst way. I would find out every detail ya can on the type of Staph it was if I were in your shoes as well as the treatment used.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:46 pm

Duane,

I know little about staph infections except what I have learned from being around them. I think every hospital in the country has been fighting one type or another all summer. A daughter and her baby both had MRSA this past summer even though they were several months apart. Baby had it when he was about amonth old and they gave him a shot of an antibiotic I think and that pretty much took care of it. I hear the nurse here at the hospital talk about how many people they have come in with the MRSA. And then our star football QB's both got it. But there was little real concern about it as long as it was caught early and there wasn't any follow up on our kids at least.

I think any of them can be dangerous if not caught and cured but have never heard of any concern about reoccurance, so that is all I know. Glad you posted to make people aware of what can happen .

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:09 am

most likely in the dogs case it was a skin infection, and if so should not cause any problems.