red muscle in dogs eye?

panovski

red muscle in dogs eye?

Post by panovski » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:17 pm

i have a 4 month old pointer and in her one eye there is what looks like a little red/pink muscle. well it shouldn't be there. so i want to know what it could be and how i could fix it.
thanks

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Re: red muscle in dogs eye?

Post by wems2371 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:23 pm

I'm not well versed in dog health, but this is what came to mind--cherry eye. I dropped a link below. Does it look like those pictures? Denise

http://www.thepetcenter.com/gen/ce.html

I guess, since she's so young, I should add--how long has she had the issue and could it be injury or foreign matter related?

panovski

Post by panovski » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:26 pm

I have noticed it about 3 weeks ago. By the pics it looks like it is the same thing. Is there any other ways to fix this problem without surgery?
thanks

Duane M

Post by Duane M » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:52 am

If it is cherry eye the best fix I have found is to simply have it cut out. You can have the duct reattached but no guarantee it will stay put then you have another vet bill. For some lines it is a common issue and I know a couple of breeders who do the removal them selves, they say it's easy but the 6 month old I have with it is going in to the vet in the next couple fo weeks.

Birdman250

Post by Birdman250 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:51 pm

Duan or parnovski--had you taken your dog in for the surgery?? I too have the same situation w/ my 4 month old, and would like to get it corrected. Or if anyone has had this procedure, removal of the eye cherry eye, could you please advise on how successful it was/is..I would like to consider correcting the problem w/ surgery if anyone has a story to share.

Thanx
A dog is the extension of its owner.

Paul : http://www.pmtkennels.com

Duane M

Post by Duane M » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:05 pm

Birdman, Rufus is scheduled on the 17th for his surgery, not really surgery as they use an injectable instead of gas and the whole proccess takes all of about 10 minutes. This is a pretty easy and safe procedure and I have yet to have any issues after having the removal done, never did the reattachment but both my main vets have told me it is a 80/20 at best in success rates So we just do the removal. Luckily Rufus is the LAST dog with Fiddler blood in the whole kennel, I will not miss this issue at all since ya just don't know when it will hit. Neither of Rufuses parents nor any of their littermates, best I know, had it but he and a sister of his both developed it. I paid for the sisters surgery as she was sold before she developed it, wish they would have used my vet since their city boy vet charged twice what mine does. Fiddler style be "bleep" no more cherry eye will make me a happy man.

panovski

Post by panovski » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:37 pm

i haven't done the surgery yet but i will be going to the vet tomorrow to see what he says, and i will probably do the surgery. thanks for all of your help guys it has made me more confident in fixing this problem.
thanks

Birdman250

Post by Birdman250 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:10 am

Thanks guys--Hope that everything works out for you two as well...I'll be contacting my vet to see if the procedure is applicable in my situation..I really like this pup and was hoping that he turn out to be a trial dog for me..Was some what disappointing that he now has this issue..Who knows--He could be a one-bandit and still field trial..it's not always the eyes that places a dog :lol:

panovski

Post by panovski » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:03 pm

Do you guys think its good to get the cherry eye just pushed back in, because cutting it out may result or will result in dry eye?

Duane M

Post by Duane M » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:06 pm

The pushing back in I hope is the reattachement I mentioned earlier. Personal experience and my vets advice tells me no as after the sutures dissolve the duct could become unattached again. I have not had any dry eye issues, but have heard it is a possibility. I reckon the final decision would rest on how successful your vet has been with past reattachments, if you decide on the vets advice to reattach the duct I would definitely find out what he or she would do should it prolapse again.

Birdman250

Post by Birdman250 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:07 pm

Not sure what your vet's success rates are but mine said that he had done well over 100 of removals and has had no complaint of dry eyes. He said by reattaching has possibility to re-develop thus, costing you another visit and expense. I called at least 15-20 vets, within 150 miles, and they all have their own opinions about the dry-eye and re-attachment concerns. At this time, I would say do what you believe is best for you and the pup. I'll be getting mine pup's cherry-eye removed. Recently found out my brother-in-law had a cherry-eye removed from his GSP female about 8 years ago and has no issue of dry eye to this date. My vet said the removal procedure only cost $30 dollars, compared to $150-$350.

Duane M

Post by Duane M » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:03 pm

Welp Rufus' went very well and he is happy and running the kennel like a mad dog again :D . Give him a week to get all healed up and he will be back hittin the fields again like a happy 5 month old should be. :mrgreen:

Birdman250

Post by Birdman250 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:23 pm

Duan--I take it you had your pup's cherry-eye removed?? And did your pup have one or two cherry-eyes. I just noticed my little guy just started showing a second one in his right eye--But wierd thing is that his left one pops in and out..There are days that the left one never come out!!!

Duane M

Post by Duane M » Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:59 pm

Yep he had it in both eyes which I have found is most often times the case. Even if it was in just a single eye I would still have both done. Most times it seems that one eye happens then the other shortly after, Rufs popped up within two days of each other. Never have seen one that popped in and out like yours does, that just plain odd. :wink:

Birdman250

Post by Birdman250 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:58 pm

panovski--How is your pup doing? Duane and/or Panovski--What's the pedigree on both your dog? I'm interested to see if its a gene from certain line or what..Mine is a Honky Tonk double bred.

Duane M

Post by Duane M » Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:15 pm

Rufs dam is bred double Bull (HTA). His sire is bred Elhew X Hammer Down. It is the Fiddler blood that caused it, Scott Miller had it often enough he learned to do it himself. That why I made the comment about style be "bleep" earlier.

Birdman250

Post by Birdman250 » Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:30 pm

Thanks Duane..I have heard a lot of breeders did their own removal also..Hope that everything goes well for everyone and thus we, or at least me, could get the dogs into the field w/o any issues down the road.