am I feeding to much ????

rudy cordero

am I feeding to much ????

Post by rudy cordero » Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:38 pm

I have been reading comments on feeding, since just recently joining this board. Searching for the best dog food for my dog. I am a little concerned !!! I have a 2 yr old GSP, that I recently acquired. She stays outside in rockwall, texas, lives in a igloo doghouse. The weather here has ranged from 60 to 28 degrees. The dog started loosing weight and was not real interested in eating the 6 cups of diamond dog food I was giving her. I bought a couple cases of canned dog food and am mixing one can to 7 cups daily. She is looking great with a good stool after about a week. The dog is not fat. She weighs about 45-50 tops lbs. Any comments ??????????? :)

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: am I feeding to much ????

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:57 pm

Some dog require more food as long as she isn't getting fat and stools look good
Unless yuo find another food that does the same on less amounts i wouldn't change anything
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:30 pm

Which formula of Diamond are you feeding? It makes a huge difference. I would feed the highest fat food you can find.

rudy cordero

Post by rudy cordero » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:24 pm

I am feeding high energy. Isthis high fat ???

Big Dave

Post by Big Dave » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:09 pm

The Diamond Hi Energy is a 20% fat product but it is a lower quality product and lower in calories than some of the other Diamond products. I would go to www.diamondpet.com and compare their different formulas for yourself. I prefer between 16% and 20% in the dogs feed when I am working them.

nanney1

Post by nanney1 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:23 am

I've spoken over the phone with the folks at Diamond several times. And to be honest, they really don't recommend the High Energy. It is not as low in ash as some of their other products.

In a nutshell, their recommendation is to feed the green bag 26/18, or if the dog is under stress from hunting or heavy training and can't keep weight, go to the 30/20.

rudy cordero

Post by rudy cordero » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:52 pm

thank you I will buy the green bag.