another snakebite

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

another snakebite

Post by mountaindogs » Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:17 am

:(
This is after 24 hours. At this point there was not much indication of long term tissue damage just swelling. The swelling has already reduced by about 50% in this picture.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:23 am

This is after about 40 hours. Swelling is still reducing but skin around the area is turning black. Looks like it's going to scar.

Last edited by mountaindogs on Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:31 pm

Ick. Hope the show judges forgive him!
brenda

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:05 pm

It's just a battle scar, right? :)
I let him out in the yard today to potty, and he ran around like crazy and chased a squirrel and followed some scent around the yard to the garden (rabbit?). I believe he's feeling better! I'm just really glad he's feeling back to normal.

I'm glad we live here where the snakes aren't (usually) deadly.

Quick story: when I took him to the vet immediatly after, the vet was telling me not to worry, he would do fine, we'd wait and see what the tissue damage would be if any. He (vet) said he has seen hundreds of dogs bitten by snakes and he has never had to use antivenom and only lost one. The owner of that dog saw the snake bite and immediatly put the dog in the car and drove to the vet's office which was only 5 minutes down the street. Sadly, the dog died before arriving at the office. The snake had bitten the dog on the leg and the vet asked the owner if she didn't mind, could he make a small cut at the wound site to see what happened. The snake had bitten directly into the artery, essentially injecting the venom IV - straight and completely into the blood stream. Scary!

scotton

Post by scotton » Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:08 pm

non-venomous snakes can be pretty bad as well. due to the nature of their feeding habits, their mouths are infection factories.

Abester came in the other day with a lump the size of a grapefruit on his flank. The vet determined it to be a spider bite. Hopefully it won't abcess (sp?).