What to have to prepare for a new pup?

Ayres
GDF Junkie

What to have to prepare for a new pup?

Post by Ayres » Sun May 09, 2004 2:50 am

I had a list sometime earlier, but timing wasn't right and I didn't get a pup then. Now I've got a vizsla pup coming home in about 6 weeks, and I need to re-evaluate what I need to get before he comes home with me.

Here's what I have already:

1. 42" Kennel with divider panel
2. Food/Water bowls
3. Two stuffed animal toys so far (no squeakers)
4. One of the above toys to be left with the litter upon visit at week 3
5. Puppy nylabone
6. Small collar
7. Small leash

and I'll be getting

8. Bitter apple spray to discourage chewing of wood, shoes, cords
9. Appropriate dog food and treats (20 lb. bag of breeder food, then my own)
10. Check cord for training later on
11. Woah-post for training later on
12. Pinch collar for training later on

Is there anything I'm overlooking upon first glance?

Country-Side Breeders

Post by Country-Side Breeders » Sun May 09, 2004 8:00 am

Are you going to be doing any training on a table...what about an E-collar?

A blanket that was with the breeder for a bit will also work good, and possibly a hot water bottle to comfort at night.

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Sun May 09, 2004 1:00 pm

Ah, I also plan to get an e-collar at some point, but all this summer he's still just going to be a pup. Next summer comes the field training, that way he's ready to go by that fall, being about 1 1/2 years old.

Wireviz_lady

puppy

Post by Wireviz_lady » Tue May 18, 2004 8:30 pm

a wind up alarm clock wrks well for the to sleep with. It sounds like the other babies heartbeats.
A baby pool for those hot days.
A starter pistol to start getting them used to thenoise...before that you can use bubble wrap.
Puppy gates to keep them out of the areas you cant keep an eye on them.
Just some ideas. LOTS OF TOYS...go for the rope monkey...they like those.

WildRose

Post by WildRose » Tue May 18, 2004 10:01 pm

Pretty good list so far, but let me add patience, chew toys, patience, and chew toys and ummm the only other things I can think of are patience and chew toys... :lol:
There's a reason I like dogs better'n people

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Tue May 18, 2004 10:54 pm

Does the rope monkey encourage tug-of-war play? If so, does that interfere with retrieving training?

I'm reluctant to start playing tug-of-war with my pup (even though I know dogs love that) because I don't want to end up playing tug of war with my downed birds.

Country-Side Breeders

Post by Country-Side Breeders » Wed May 19, 2004 5:51 am

I always recommend to not play tug-of-war with pups for that very reason. If the pup/dog begins or tries to play that game, I tell them (the customers) to drop their end and tell the pup no pulling or to turn their back to them. This tells the dog that it is not acceptable behavior and there won't be any playing if it continues. I have rope toys for the dogs here, but I keep a close eye on them when playing with them for the simple reason of the toy breaking down and begin to fall apart. I don't want anyone to be eating the strings from them and possibly ending up with intestional issues.

Another thought: Don't let a dog/pup get tangled up with spaghum moss. It's the moss that is used to decorate home interior decorations (mainly used in plant pottery). It's very toxic to them, burning holes in the intestional lining.