Calcium in chalk or Drywall

Richard *UT*

Calcium in chalk or Drywall

Post by Richard *UT* » Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:18 am

I have a 16 week old GSP from TAK and I have been "fixing" things around the house and had some drywall lying around. Cash started going to town on the scraps, eating them. He also eats the kid's sidewalk chalk. Is he not getting enough calcium? Should I get some raw bones for him to work on, maybe some marrow. I asked about Ca supplements for a Puppy and was told it is best not to. He is growing :naka: so fast I am worried about his Calcium. One other question I will attach to this one. Is there any harm in Glucosamine supplements, ie too much does what? For those that do supplement, how often do you do it. I just want to do all I can to make sure his joints stay strong and sound. I think for young and old dogs it can make a big difference. Thanks for all the help. :thumbleft:

TAK

Post by TAK » Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:17 pm

My guess is he is just a pup! You lay there long enough he will chew on you!

12 Volt Man

Post by 12 Volt Man » Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:39 am

You lay there long enough he will chew on you!
That is the truth.

I was working as a tile setter in a house that an Emergency Room doctor owned. He told me a story of a lady that came in to the E.R. Her head and face looked so bad that they thought she had attempted suicide with a shotgun.

Turns out that something went bad and she ended up falling on the ground and was unconcious or couldn't move for a few days. Her dogs got hungry.............

Don't worry about the calcium. Your dog will probably eat things worse than sheet rock.

portsider44

Post by portsider44 » Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:20 pm

Sound like my pup 9wks old & thinks everything needs to go in her mouth. Leaves, bark, grass, trash, rocks & anything else that catches her eye.

I have been raking my backyard twice a week to cut down on the stuff she has avaialbe , but she still finds stuff. If she can't find something you will go chew bark off of the tree.

QCBirddogs

Post by QCBirddogs » Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:24 pm

I have a shorthair that should have died from PCB poisioning years ago!

He has cleaned dirty ashtrays, eaten packs of cigs, devoured 11 remote controlls and a cell phone. He absolutely loved sheetrock and has gone as far as pulling wet tape and compound off the wall and licking it clean as I went! He gets a little green around the gills at times, but he is still ticking! :roll:

THE "bleep" EVENS OPENS THE FRIDGE! Goes for the butter first! DOOF!

If your pup is not showing any physical signs of vitamin difficiencies, leave him alone for now. No supplements are needs to aid his growth. Depending on his workout later in training, he might need something. For now a good food and fresh water will cover all his needs.

Phil
REO

sdgord

sheet rock

Post by sdgord » Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:57 am

I'm not a chemist but does't sheet rock contain a lot of calcium carbonate or some form of sodium? Never had a dog that ate sheet rock, but my weim eats everything else.SDGORD

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:45 am

-- Feed him a top-quality puppy food
-- Give him plenty of clean water
-- Let him get some exercise and sunshine
-- Watch him grow!

Best,

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:05 am

My V chewed on the baseboards (wood and white paint), the corners of the floor cabinets (wood and white paint), the underside of my kitchen table and a seat corner of a chair (wood and polyurethane), the corners where two walls met (drywall and white paint), and ate an entire plastic flyswatter.

The baseboard and drywall we touched up best we could with some white paint (not living in this townhome forever). The table and chair we sanded out and oiled down. The flyswatter... well.. we have a new flyswatter now and his name is Justus. As for the plastic thing, we found bits of it in his dung the following couple days but that's all.

The dog.. still happy and tail-waggin.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:08 am

OH!

The remedy: bitter apple spray.

The stuff really does work, you just have to remember to reapply every so often. Eventually you won't have to reapply anymore because the dog gets the picture, but for several months while it's a pup still, spray everything you value that you think the dog could get ahold of.

(also, on a side note, Justus has also destroyed an entire set of wooden coasters. 6 or 8 of them. he did it one by one, whenever I'd leave one laying on the table instead of putting it back in the coaster holder)
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

QCBirddogs

Post by QCBirddogs » Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:45 pm

PUPPIES...............You just have to love'em! or they would all be dead!

or we would all be seeking professional help (NOT FROM A TRAINER!)

Phil
REO

TAK

Post by TAK » Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:19 am

12 Volt Man wrote:
You lay there long enough he will chew on you!
That is the truth.

I was working as a tile setter in a house that an Emergency Room doctor owned. He told me a story of a lady that came in to the E.R. Her head and face looked so bad that they thought she had attempted suicide with a shotgun.

Turns out that something went bad and she ended up falling on the ground and was unconcious or couldn't move for a few days. Her dogs got hungry.............

Don't worry about the calcium. Your dog will probably eat things worse than sheet rock.

Uhggggg!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:17 am

Sounds to me like after growing up on TAK's cooking, drywall tastes like a treat! :lol: :lol:

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.