Interceptor Heartworm Medication

remmy

Interceptor Heartworm Medication

Post by remmy » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:34 pm

WTB-Interceptor heartworm pills for 40 lb dog and 60 lb dog.

Had heartworm tests done and Vet only sells Sentinel, which costs twice as much as Interceptor and Heartguard. Would not give me Rx because he was trying to sell me the Sentinel.

Let me know if anyone has extra they want to sell.

Rob
6xCH, 2xRU CH FC Alpenblick's Southern Bell

NGSPA CH, FC Cruzin's Probable Cause "Mac"

3xCH, NGPDA NC, FC Cruzin's Rocket Queen "Roxy"

Pineland's Streak "Sadie"

Cruzin's Moneymaker "Penny"

Cruzin Kennels on Facebook

Cruzin Kennels ~ http://www.cruzinkennels.com/

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Interceptor Heartworm Medication

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:57 pm

Buy the small bottle of Ivomec

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

remmy

Post by remmy » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:46 pm

I'm still researching Ivomec as I just found out about it recently.
6xCH, 2xRU CH FC Alpenblick's Southern Bell

NGSPA CH, FC Cruzin's Probable Cause "Mac"

3xCH, NGPDA NC, FC Cruzin's Rocket Queen "Roxy"

Pineland's Streak "Sadie"

Cruzin's Moneymaker "Penny"

Cruzin Kennels on Facebook

Cruzin Kennels ~ http://www.cruzinkennels.com/

gotblika

Post by gotblika » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:27 am

You don't need RX here http://www.canadavet.com/ Last order I made was received within a week to Hawaii.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:01 am

If you have one dog and want to go the Ivermectin route, get the 1.87% horse paste. Give the dog a half-click a month and never look back. Cheap and no fuss.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:33 am

I do not know if your area has whipworms or not but ivomec does not cover it. I would take your results and go to another vet and buy the interceptor - I love that stuff! You do not have to make an appointment, another vet will sell the interceptor over the counter to you if you show them the negative hearworm test. I have started to use ivomec every other months to cut costs and whips take 3 months to complete their life cycle so interceptor everyother month always knocks em out before they can reproduce.

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:49 am

You can get the Ivomec horse paste, along with the Fenbendazole paste to cover both heartworms and the other worms.
Ivomec monthly, and the Fenbendazole every three months.

Chip

donnie_19

Post by donnie_19 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:07 am

What form is this Fenbendazole come in? Paste, Liquid, pill? Whats the dosage?

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:30 am

Donnie, it is in the same form as the Horse paste, and the same dosage 1/2 click. You could also get the Zimectrin Gold wich has another worming ingredient in it to handle the heartworm and other intestinal worms all in one shot. I just prefer the fenbendazole. Just a preference thing for me.

Chip

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:42 am

lvrgsp wrote:You can get the Ivomec horse paste, along with the Fenbendazole paste to cover both heartworms and the other worms.
Ivomec monthly, and the Fenbendazole every three months.

Chip
yeah you can, but I priced it and it's cheaper to get the interceptor and bottle of ivomec for me. The fenbendazol horse past is actually a LOWER concetration than for dogs so 1 tube of past only does one dog or one and half dogs depending on size, and the tube costs me $9.89 Interceptor works out to be cheaper than that per months per month per dog.
Do not confuse this! Ivomec for horse is STRONGER concetration so do not use anything like the same amount! I have seen a dog die from getting the equine ivomec at the cattle (volume) dosing.

A 50 lb dog needs 5 grams of fenbendazole for a minimum of 3 days in a row. A 60 lb dog needs 6 grams
http://www.safe-guard-for-dogs.com/safeguard-dosage.asp

The horse paste is a 25 gram tube which is enough for 5 doses for the 50 lb dogs or 4 ish doses for a 60 lb dog. So you would have enough for one 60 lb dog for 3 days and one extra day out of a tube.
Fenbendazole does not cover heartworms so you still have to give the ivomec that month as well. Just priced it all out based on a year and the fact that I can not really dose the last little bit in the fenbedazole after some of them because of the way the clicks divide it up. But you certainly could.

Looking into the goat fenbendazole does anyone use that? It it might be cheaper for me but it's tablets so harder to divide out I imagine.

I have 6 dogs on this regime so when I buy a box of interceptor it lasts ONE MONTH so you can imagine I would like the cheapest way to keep them healthy.

myerstenn

Post by myerstenn » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:23 am

with safeguard horse paste ,dose 100 lbs for every 10lbs of dog weight ie. 50lb dog gets 500 on the horse paste tube. never had a problem with it and have been doing it for years

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:50 am

yes that's right. And 500 would give you five doses out of a tube. You gotta give that 500 dose for 3 days in a row. Fendenazole, safegaurd, panacur are all same drug and for dogs - to kill the hooks, whips, tapes (only one species), you have to give for 3-5 days in a row. If you dog has diarrhea badly the vet will often put them on it for 5 days, due to the short digestive track dogs have and the reduced time for absorbtion.
Fenbendazole is pretty safe in adult dogs. It's ivomec you must be very careful with becaue of the concentration for horses being so much higher. I just didn't want anyone to go get the ivomec paste and give 1/5 of the tube. could be an issue.

donnie_19

Post by donnie_19 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:36 pm

yes that's right. And 500 would give you five doses out of a tube. You gotta give that 500 dose for 3 days in a row. Fendenazole, safegaurd, panacur are all same drug and for dogs - to kill the hooks, whips, tapes (only one species), you have to give for 3-5 days in a row.

Ok so I buy the tube of safeguard fenbendazole today. 25 gram paste 10% . My dog weighs 60 lbs. so that tube won't do my dog for the 3 days? I'm confused?

donnie_19

Post by donnie_19 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:44 pm

My bad. The scale on the side of the syringe is in pounds. 0-1000. Thats like 250lb per dosage? 6 grams for 60lb dog per day? Seems like a lot.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:05 am

I will have to recheck the lbs scale, but I do know that you give 5 grams for a 50 lb dog. What that would be in horse lbs at the other dosing i will have to check again. Certainly would not be half - would be 1/5 for the 50 lb dog.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:04 pm

donnie_19 wrote:My bad. The scale on the side of the syringe is in pounds. 0-1000. Thats like 250lb per dosage? 6 grams for 60lb dog per day? Seems like a lot.
yes it is alot, and that is why I posted to this thread. Dogs have a shorter intestinal track and oral meds are sometimes higher in concentration for them but this was surprisingly high compared to horses so I was worried every one out there using might be doing nothing for the parasites with this. 1 click like the ivomec would be not nearly enough to do much but kill the rounds maybe. Never the less check the safegaurd link I posted above as it shows the number of grams that you need to dose with for dogs of different weight. They sell the dog safe gaurd in powder packets for sprinkling on the food, and if you get a dog bigger than 50 lbs it gets very pricey. BUT it is the same stuff.

I is not as safe for young puppies as inteceptor, so be careful there and wait until your puppy is old enough. I would also stick with the inteceptor for pregnant and nursing mommies, as is has been tested extensively and found to be safe during this time.

bphelps56

Post by bphelps56 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:15 pm

I have found the liquid Safe-Guard Fenbendazole 10% solution in the 1000 ML bottle to be the best value if you are going to treat with fenbendazole. The dosage that I use is 22.7 mg of fenbendazole per pound of dog weight per day for three consecutive days. For a 60 lb. dog I give 13.62 ml of Safe-Guard 10% fenbendazole per day.
Bill Phelps
Hidden Creek Kennels
Llewellin Setters
Somerset, KY
hiddencreekkennels@hotmail.com
http://www.hiddencreekkennel.com

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:01 am

were do you buy the liquid? I have not seen it available over the counter.

bphelps56

Post by bphelps56 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:14 am

Most all farm supply stores keep the Safe-Guard products. I purchase mine from Agri-Med. Here is a link to their website.
http://www.agri-med.com
Bill Phelps
Hidden Creek Kennels
Llewellin Setters
Somerset, KY
hiddencreekkennels@hotmail.com
http://www.hiddencreekkennel.com

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:31 am

Thanks!
None of the farm stores near here sell the liquid for some reason, but that is good deal. I will have to get that. AND I found that their interceptor is alot cheaper too! Thanks for your post 8)
(edited for crazy typos :oops: as it is 5:35 am and I am just going to bed after my shift - my brain is shutting down.)

rstbkt69

Post by rstbkt69 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:11 pm

Ok I don't understand what is happening but I have been trying to find some ivemectin and I cant find it in anything but a big 1000ml bottle. Is this it?
Called in to 1800 pet meds to get some more interceptor for one of the dogs and they want to do a blood test. She just had a bloodtest a month ago but not the heartworm check. We live in the desert and get maybe 3 inches of rain a year I have not seen a mosquito in years but I try to keep the dogs up to date in case they could be bitten on a hunt and now they want to charge me for another visit. I wish these people would think about things like this. Maybe check the records and say hey she is due a heart worm test next month why don't we add it to this test. Anywat i can't seem to find any ivermectin or Fenbendazole 10% solution without needind a perscription. Any help

/