Start on Ivomec at what age?

GSP

Start on Ivomec at what age?

Post by GSP » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:48 am

Maggie is almost 12 weeks, tested Neg to Heartworms and has been on sentinal for a mth per vet. I have the Ivomec 10% at home and know 1/10cc per 10lbs. How young is to young. The skeeters never die off here.

Chuck

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Start on Ivomec at what age?

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:55 am

The pups can be started anytime. There is no age limit.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:04 am

we start at 6 weeks old

everything I have read says not to start on ivermectin before then
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:27 am

I Ivomec them as soon as they are off momma. Never Ivomec momma and the pups if they arent weaned. I know that doesnt apply to your situation I just wanted to bring that up.
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:11 am

topher40 wrote:I Ivomec them as soon as they are off momma. Never Ivomec momma and the pups if they arent weaned. I know that doesnt apply to your situation I just wanted to bring that up.
Why....?
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI R.I.P. 4/29/05-12/18/18

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

phillipsgsp

Post by phillipsgsp » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:54 pm

My vet has told me that a dog can not get heart worm until 6 months of age. I usually start them on ivermec at about 16 weeks and have all my dogs tested once a year.

Chad
"GET THE POINT" http://www.phillipsgundogs.com Family and Shorthairs, it don't get any better than that!
Phillips' Tiptoe'n Tucker MH
Phillips' Lucy in Diguise SH

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:24 pm

GSP wrote:I have the Ivomec 10% at home
Are you sure it's 10% and not 1%? I've never heard of 10% ivermectin.

GSP

Post by GSP » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:34 pm

Greg Jennings wrote:

Woops, its 1%

Next question can i just give it straight I see somepeople mix it with Glycol, how bout water?

phillipsgsp

Post by phillipsgsp » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:55 pm

I draw it into a syringe and remove the needle, then shoot it down the back of the dogs throat. It has always worked out good for me that way.

Chad
"GET THE POINT" http://www.phillipsgundogs.com Family and Shorthairs, it don't get any better than that!

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:33 pm

phillipsgsp wrote:My vet has told me that a dog can not get heart worm until 6 months of age. I usually start them on ivermec at about 16 weeks and have all my dogs tested once a year.

Chad
Sorry to say that is wrong info your vet has given....there is a lady up the road from us which has a couple 5 well almost 5 month old pups boxers that tested positive for heartworm... she went in last week to get them started on heart worm meds after I was telling her that heartworm is a problem in our area a couple weeks ago already to late at least it is at the very beginning stages so no heart damage but of your in an area of mosquitoes there is a potential for heartworm one person moves into the neighborhood with an infected dog it doesn't take long before you have a problem as mosquiotes feed about every 2-3 weeks takes about 3 months for the worms to grow enough to settle in the heart

go to the heartworm website they explain about how long and also the different treatment methods ......

so treat year round as any day that gets warm enough mosquitoes can and will come out and if your using the ivermectin 1% solution at 1/10th cc per 10 pounds of body weight you can get a 50 ml bottle for about 35 bucks cheap enough even if it is 50 bucks way cheaper then heartguard

I am saying this because we found out the hard way about heartworm so now to has the lady up the road from me
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

phillipsgsp

Post by phillipsgsp » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:50 pm

I do treat my dogs all year, and thanks for the info as I will confer with my vet on Monday when I am there getting a litter vacinated. If I remember right she said a dog can not contract or develope heart worm until 6 months of age. Maybe they have a incubation period of that long or somthing and I am mistaken.

Chad

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:11 am

GSP wrote:
Greg Jennings wrote:

Woops, its 1%

Next question can i just give it straight I see somepeople mix it with Glycol, how bout water?
OK, there are two different regimines.

One, that is just for heartworms is, essentially, "on label" for ivermictin. In that, you dilute with propylene glycol. I've seen some different recommendations there, haven't run it down because I use the other regimine. So, for example, 9 parts propylene glycol to 1 part Ivermectin THEN dose at .1 per 10 lbs.

In the other, "off label" regimine, you're treating for heartworms AND other worms with the Ivermectin. In that, the two recommendations that I've seen are .1 per 10 lbs of body weight and .1 per 20 lbs. I use the .1 per 20 lbs. No diluting.

You can squirt it on a piece of bread and the dog will wolf it down. Well, mine did till they figured out the pattern and that the bread tasted bad with Ivermectin on it.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:45 am

As for how long ....if I rember correct takes about 3-4 months for time of an infected bite for the larvae to work into the blood stream

As for how we deliver we get some canned dog food put about a good couple tablespoons then squirt the amount needed since we do so many dog it is easier for us and the scarf it down

Sandy Meador

Post by Sandy Meador » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:59 pm

I have been considering switching to Ivomec for a while, but I am a little leary. What if you do not know the EXACT weight of your dogs? Can you overdose your dog? I've got 3 Labs and 2 GSPs and these vet bills are starting to kill me! Thanks in advance for your replies and info.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:09 pm

You have a lot of leeway with the amount you use. Ivomec is not a drug that is very toxic.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Sandy Meador

Post by Sandy Meador » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:53 pm

Ezzy -

Thank you, I am heading over to Tractor Supply right after work and get a bottle.

Sandy Meador

Post by Sandy Meador » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:47 pm

OK - just got back from Farmer's Co-op and want to make sure I've got the right stuff.

Brown box, Ivomec (ivermectin) Injection for Cattle and Swine, 1% Sterile Solution

This is the CORRECT stuff, right?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:26 pm

Thats it.

Ezzy

Sandy Meador

Post by Sandy Meador » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:50 am

Thank you very much! Will start them on it as soon as they are due!

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:06 am

Sandy Meador wrote:Thank you very much! Will start them on it as soon as they are due!
Get weights on your dogs. Ivermectin CAN be toxic if too high of a dose is given.

I don't mix mine with anything I just use the dosage for HW and worming that Greg mentioned. LOL My dogs are grass "grazers" and they sometimes eat dirt so can be prone to getting worms. They also like to go into the horse pasture and eat at the free horse poop buffet !

I start my pups on HW preventative at 8 weeks of age. All of the vets I've ever dealt with have recommended this. And pups need to be wormed anyways so why not get them started!
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners
Breeding for Conformation and Performance
NFC/FC Cherrystone La Reine De Pearl
CH Cherystone Perl of Sagenhaft MH,SDX,NRD,VX,BROM
CH Cherrystone Gone With the Wind JH