Spaying cost?

nj gsp

Spaying cost?

Post by nj gsp » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:28 pm

Just curious - for those of you who have had a dog spayed recently, how much did it cost you? We just had one of ours done, and I freaked when my wife showed me the bill. I think our vet should've been wearing a ski mask. I'll hold off on saying how much for now...

Thanks!

iowajonnyboy

Re: Spaying cost?

Post by iowajonnyboy » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:55 pm

I just paid $166 for the spay procedure along with $25 for pain meds last week.

I trust my vet and I could have probably price shopped, but would rather deal with him.

I'm interested to hear what yours cost.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:40 pm

I really like my vet too and have been using him for years. I imagine costs vary from region to region, but this is the breakdown of what's on my bill from 12/2007. I thought that was pretty reasonable. Now on the other hand, my lab had her teeth cleaned 2.5 years ago and that was $165.00 total. :twisted:

PCV/TP $ 5.25
KV Induction $ 7.36
Anesthetic Monitoring $ 7.25
Ovariohysterectomy $101.84
Rimadyl Injection $ 5.28
Rimadyl pills (take home) $ 8.04
TAX $ .56
TOTAL $135.58

birdhunter2424

Post by birdhunter2424 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:31 am

We had a small dog spayed about 3 years ago I think it was $135. When I get my gsp spayed in a year I will probally pay around $150-$175. More important then the cost is making sure you trust the Doc. I would pay twice that if that is what my vet charged, because I trust him.

jetto

Post by jetto » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:48 pm

$260 medium sized dog- Ohio- that included pain meds. I called around and got HIGHER prices from other vets in the area. Kristi

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:40 pm

$85.50 if the dog is less than 60 lbs, and $95.50 for a dog over 60 lbs. that includes the anesthesia, the surgery, an antibiotic shot, and a stay overnight if need be (although 95% of them go home the same day). we do charge another $7.50 if you want an after surgery pain shot. usually we will trim their nails if they need it while they are out for no charge.

vzkennels

Post by vzkennels » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:47 pm

Dog Dr you need to move to Ohio,preferably a little town east of Cincy. :lol:

jetto

Post by jetto » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:00 pm

No move further north in Ohio! No kidding- the breeder of my avatar dog is always shocked when i tell her the prices over here for OFA, surgeries, etc. She gets everything for usually at least half of what we pay- she's in northwestern Illinois....Kristi

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:09 pm

well, in all honesty we probably arent charging enough. BUT, we keep busy and are making a living, so i cant complain.

vzkennels

Post by vzkennels » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:16 pm

I have a very good vet that I trust ,have been seeing him for over 20 yrs but must admit only use him when I have to.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:39 pm

When I adopted my dog last year she was 20 months old. At 2 years old I had her spayed and called all the vets in my local area for prices. The dog weighed 65 lbs and most vets in my "up scale" town were $400. This price included blood work first, complete exam as the vets had never seen the dog, surgery, anesthesia, 24 hrs lasting pain med. I about fained on the first phone call. I called a friend that is a vet tech and asked about their prices, they are in a different region of LA county not as "up scale" 30 minute drive and they quoted me $160. In before 9AM and out between 4 - 5 PM. They got my business and I now recommend everyone I know who lives in my area to drive a little further out of town to save big money.

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:21 pm

The dog in question is an 85 lb 5 year old Lurcher in excellent health and physical condition. We were charged $700 - the base rate for dogs >80 lbs is $450. We've been using the same vet for 14 years, but it may be time to start looking around.

claybuster_aa

Post by claybuster_aa » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:49 pm

Got me thinking so I dug up the records: Ovariohysterctomy Canine 0-40 lbs

$120.00 total (including tax, the overnight, meds) in March 2003
A good bird dog is always the right color

birddogsunlimited

Post by birddogsunlimited » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:06 pm

i was quoted 400 for nutering my lab a year ago i ended up going eith this place cald c snip in grandrapids mi the have a flat rate of $50 bucks i think and the did a great job ive taken a few dogs there and never had a problem
rossi ann. gsp
mavrick gsp
willow gsp
Charlie yellow lab
kimber yellow lab
barrett yellow lab
mikey choc. lab r.i.p buddy

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:26 pm

Anyone else from NJ? I just saw an ad in the paper from a local animal shelter offering a low-cost spay/neuter program. I wish we'd seen that a few weeks ago. I don't know what low-cost is, but I bet it's less than $700.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:55 pm

Depends on the size of the dog but close to $300. for a medium sized dog in Ontario, Canada.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Meller

Post by Meller » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:26 am

Don't know how it works in different areas, but where I live in MO. you can go to the city Pound and they will give you a coupon for so much on spaying or nueturing, plus refering you to a veternarian.
All you have to do is ask . :)

katababa

Post by katababa » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:23 pm

I'm right outside of Washington DC . . .Neuter - 300-350 spay 400-450 that's for dogs 50lbs and up

When I was calling around when I lived in boston, a vet quoted me up to $700.

Okvet03

Post by Okvet03 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:35 am

Just make sure your comparing apples to apples. Good sugery protocols include cbc/6 chem +/- heartworm test depending on age, pain management, heart rate and pulse ox monitoring and IV catheterization and IV fluids. This typically runs anywhere from $175 to $375 in central Oklahoman depending on the size and age of the dog. I'm not saying a Doc can't do a good spay for $90 but you sure can reduce risk with the extras. Bottom line I suppose is your risk aversion. I would much rather lose the opportunity to spay a pet than try to explain why it went wrong. Just my 2 cents.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:39 am

Okvet03 wrote:Just make sure your comparing apples to apples. Good sugery protocols include cbc/6 chem +/- heartworm test depending on age, pain management, heart rate and pulse ox monitoring and IV catheterization and IV fluids. This typically runs anywhere from $175 to $375 in central Oklahoman depending on the size and age of the dog. I'm not saying a Doc can't do a good spay for $90 but you sure can reduce risk with the extras. Bottom line I suppose is your risk aversion. I would much rather lose the opportunity to spay a pet than try to explain why it went wrong. Just my 2 cents.
You are pointing out exactly what is wrong with our health care system. So many unnecessary tests and medicines being prescribed because of the rare chance something might go wrong and you have to be sure you are covered in case of a lawsuit or you haven't been able to tell someone that there pet just didn't make it. Suppose it is our own fault. But it also is driving the costs so high that pets are left to suffer and die because people can't afford to take them to the vet. Look at the number of questions on this board alone, about health care that should be answered by a vet but if we go to the vet it costs us near $100 dollars for the visit and all we get is exposure to many diseases just by walking into the waiting room.

I think both sides need to reaccess just what is important and how we handle adversity or the professional care of our pets will just cease to exist.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:52 pm

My vet charges $150 as long as they're 3 months out of season (it's more complicated, more bleeding if they just come out of season).
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

remmy

Post by remmy » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:11 pm

I posted this under another thread also:

My county , here in NJ, offers spay/neuter programs. Basically, you pay the fee below and they give you a voucher and you go to your vet for the procedure. Luckily, my vet runs the program...not that I am thinking of having this procedure done.

Here are the costs. It is a significant difference. I believe my vet charges around $400 to spay but through this program I would only have to pay $65...Huge difference!

Canines
Dog Neuter, 1-50 pounds $65 *
Dog Neuter, over 50 pounds $80 *
Dog Spay, 1-50 pounds $75 *
Dog Spay, over 50 pounds $90 *
(Above prices include rabies and distemper vaccinations, nail trimming)
Elizabethan Collar $5
Microchip $20

I would google spay/neuter in your area. You may have something like this that will save you money. Just beware, some programs are run by the antis!!
6xCH, 2xRU CH FC Alpenblick's Southern Bell

NGSPA CH, FC Cruzin's Probable Cause "Mac"

3xCH, NGPDA NC, FC Cruzin's Rocket Queen "Roxy"

Pineland's Streak "Sadie"

Cruzin's Moneymaker "Penny"

Cruzin Kennels on Facebook

Cruzin Kennels ~ http://www.cruzinkennels.com/

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:32 pm

There is a program in Chattanooga called Wallys Friends. My Mom has quoted 250. for a tiny (whatever it is she has :roll: ) and I told her to come up and get it done here. 40. Plus they do shots for 9. For older people on a fixed income it is outragous just to fix your pet...
brenda

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:35 pm

Hey I'm on a fixed income too - only it's called "salary" :roll: and I don't think for my vet to charge me $700 is very fair either!

vzkennels

Post by vzkennels » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:45 pm

There is a vet clinic about 2 miles from my house that does boarding,holds obedient classes etc.They have more staff the some Hospitals I've been in.The piece of property they built on was $250,000 alone then they tore down a Big farm house & good size barn before building this monstrosity.This guy when he first stared in a rented building across the rd specialized in reptiles.He has a full parking lot so must be busy but it all scares me to death.I like a simple country type vet.

NeBrittany

Post by NeBrittany » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:41 pm

remmy wrote:I posted this under another thread also:

My county , here in NJ, offers spay/neuter programs. Basically, you pay the fee below and they give you a voucher and you go to your vet for the procedure. Luckily, my vet runs the program...not that I am thinking of having this procedure done.

Here are the costs. It is a significant difference. I believe my vet charges around $400 to spay but through this program I would only have to pay $65...Huge difference!

Canines
Dog Neuter, 1-50 pounds $65 *
Dog Neuter, over 50 pounds $80 *
Dog Spay, 1-50 pounds $75 *
Dog Spay, over 50 pounds $90 *
(Above prices include rabies and distemper vaccinations, nail trimming)
Elizabethan Collar $5
Microchip $20

I would google spay/neuter in your area. You may have something like this that will save you money. Just beware, some programs are run by the antis!!
I have been doing some digging, and the only thing I can find so far is something offered by Animal Control. Which is operated under the county health department. Knowing their past and present, makes me some what hesitant.

My sister told me of a place in Denver, similar to what you have described. But as to what they charge, I will have to get that information from her, because from what I can see their web site is messed up.
Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence

-George Washington-

NeBrittany

Post by NeBrittany » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:49 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
Okvet03 wrote:Just make sure your comparing apples to apples. Good sugery protocols include cbc/6 chem +/- heartworm test depending on age, pain management, heart rate and pulse ox monitoring and IV catheterization and IV fluids. This typically runs anywhere from $175 to $375 in central Oklahoman depending on the size and age of the dog. I'm not saying a Doc can't do a good spay for $90 but you sure can reduce risk with the extras. Bottom line I suppose is your risk aversion. I would much rather lose the opportunity to spay a pet than try to explain why it went wrong. Just my 2 cents.
You are pointing out exactly what is wrong with our health care system. So many unnecessary tests and medicines being prescribed because of the rare chance something might go wrong and you have to be sure you are covered in case of a lawsuit or you haven't been able to tell someone that there pet just didn't make it. Suppose it is our own fault. But it also is driving the costs so high that pets are left to suffer and die because people can't afford to take them to the vet. Look at the number of questions on this board alone, about health care that should be answered by a vet but if we go to the vet it costs us near $100 dollars for the visit and all we get is exposure to many diseases just by walking into the waiting room.

I think both sides need to reaccess just what is important and how we handle adversity or the professional care of our pets will just cease to exist.

Ezzy
Ezzy, I couldn't have said it any better my self.

I remember a Vet right here, that you could walk out of his office and never have the thought of spending over $100 even for the most complicated procedures. But that was ten years ago, and he was old enough to by my grand father.
Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence

-George Washington-

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:55 pm

The only female I ever had spayed was done during an emergency operation and I helped with it in the middle of the night. As I remember it cost me 50 bucks. But that was twenty years ago.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:01 am

this has been an interesting thread. while i agree that many of my colleagues go overboard as far as required procedures, precautionary procedures, and cost of those preocedures, I have to disagree that there is anything UNFAIR about it. Thats capitalism, folks. if you dont like the price or the service you recieved, you are free to go down the road to somebody else. In fact, my little clinic is swamped right now (your gonna have to wait almost 3 weeks to get a spay or neuter done), and i think the fact that we are cheaper and easier to get along with than the competition is a large reason for that. my opinion is find a vet you are happy with and who will work with you, and stick with them.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:24 am

Exactly.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

GSPVIZ

Post by GSPVIZ » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:16 pm

Fellow Jerseyan here.

My vet charged us $150 ish when we had our Vizsla spayed about a year ago.

The are pretty expensive on everything else but I was certainly pleased to pay the $150.