Diamond Performance

nanney1

Diamond Performance

Post by nanney1 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:13 am

30/20 in the black bag. Anyone feed this?

Back when I was feeding Diamond (Green bag 26/18), I would feed the 30/20 when the local supplier ran out of the green bag. The dogs liked it and seemed to tolerate the switch with no problems. However, I never fed enough of it to see if if was any better.

Does anyone see any significant difference in the black over the green?

Just a reminder, I have Bernese Mountain Dogs and don't hunt. They are much larger, heavier coated, and less active than sporting breeds. However, coat quality is a concern when selecting foods.

MikeB

Re: Diamond Performance

Post by MikeB » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:11 pm

I would think that for your Berners that 30/20 would be rocket fuel and not at all necessry for your dogs. CANIDAE All Life Stage should provide great skin and coat at a protein / fat amount for large breeds. That is what I would feed if I had your dogs.

birdhunter2424

Post by birdhunter2424 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:43 am

Why do you want to switch? If you switch and the dogs dont burn off the extra pile of calories they might put on extra weight. If you are happy with there weight then I would stay with the same protein/fat content. For what its worth I will be switching my GSP pup from diamond puppy to the performance when she gets a little older.

jayhawkj

Post by jayhawkj » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:20 am

At what age do you plan on switching your pup over?

nanney1

Post by nanney1 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:18 pm

I'm not currently feeding the Diamond green bag. I was feeding Pro Plan Original Chicken and Rice and then the new Shredded Blend which I wasn't happy with. So I switched to Chicken and Rice Puppy while I waited on the Original Chicken and Rice to return. However, I have learned that I won't be able to readily get it in my area.

So my plan is to switch to Pro Plan Performance when I run out of my current bag of Pro Plan Puppy. However, I'm contemplating other options. And I used to feed Diamond years ago so I'm considering them again.

I checked out some of the Diamond line today at my local Tractor Supply. All were 40 lb bags.
Green bag Premium 26/18 $22.99 - 425 Kcal per cup
Black bag Performance 30/20 $28.99 - 448 Kcal per cup
Diamond Naturals Extreme Athlete 32/25 $32.99 - 470 Kcal per cup

Pro Plan Performance (30/20 493 Kcal per cup) at Petsmart is $38.99 and I always have a $2 off coupon, so $36.99 for a 37.5 lb bag. If I continue to feed Pro Plan, I'll have enough weight circles to receive 10 $7.00 rebate checks back.

As you can see, the Pro Plan is pricey. The Chicken and Rice was always discounted at Petsmart with their Petsmart card, and with my coupons, I could always buy it for $31.99 or less. At my current rate, I won't be able to buy the Performance at that price until Summer when I cash in my weight circles.

So, I'm definitely considering other options, and Diamond is readily available and cheaper. Just don't know if it's worth switching.

birdhunter2424

Post by birdhunter2424 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:12 am

I am might be switching to performance soon. My pup has stopped eating well. She is leaving half her food at each feeding. I used to have to try and slow her down she ate so fast.

I think Diamond is a great food. Do a search for diamond there has been a lot writen on diamond.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:34 am

It is normal as well as necessary that your pup slows down on how much it wants to eat. If they didn't they would look like a pig shortly. Never worry with how much your dog is eating but instead look at the dog's condition and that is how you judge if the dog is eating enough. You are feeding a dog and not dogfood. The only evidence of whether the dog is eating enough is the condition of the dog.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

WildRose

Post by WildRose » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:08 pm

I've fed the "black bag" at different times over the years, particularly when I'm on the road for extended periods and have always had great results with it.

Don't put too much stock into the kcals/cup ratio that various producers advertise. What matters is not so much how many kcals there are in a cup of feed as much as how many of those calories are coming from fat/protien and how digestible all of the ingredients are.

My dogs have always done very well on the Diamond products and if I could get Diamond delivered to the kennel instead of having to make a hundred mile round trip to get it, Diamond is all I would ever feed.

Diamond is still the best nutrition you can get for the money.

It's normal for puppies to reach a stage where they are not gorging themselves. If they still look happy, healthy, and fit they are eating enough.

There's really no reason to keep feeding puppy formulas of any sort after about 3-4 months, and all of the Diamond products are labled for "all life stages". CR